• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ice fishing/ foul weather gear

Hey all,

My wife's best friend just invited us to go ice fishing with her family this weekend. My wife isn't much of an outdoorsy type, and really doesn't own much in the way of foulies. I wear mostly boutique outerwear, which I can neither procure for her by this weekend, or justify buying her to go ice fishing once.

My question, therefore, is what would you all recommend for readily available outerwear for a day out on the ice?

Thanks.

when i bring my kids out ,I worry more about the layering of clothes more than type.Although outer layer is obviously waterproof snow gear.Iv'e found that shelter is the key.The hunting ground blinds work well if you don't have a shanty style.

I'd go out and grab some under armour (top and bottom) as a wicking base layer (not terribly expensive and can be used again) and then from there just layer up with whatever you have and then hopefully she has like a ski jacket type thing for a top layer.

Oh and, I would spend $15 on a pair of good socks (something like merino wool). Warm feet = Good day.

As long as you don't mind being seen wearing Realtree AP camo out there.... While not the most stylish apparel, there're often some good deals on hunting clothing at Dick's after deer season (now). An inexpensive set of coveralls can really keep the heat in, and can be had for $40-50 (Walls brand, among them). And, you can just pull them on over your other clothes once you're out on the ice. You don't want to break a sweat getting out there. Something to icrease boot traction is also a good thing to have. There're a lot of versions, but the expanable spring-type is easy to use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

pupchow, double thanks for the dick's suggestion. Exactly what I was looking for!

ETA: I should probably clarify a little; I spend a lot of time outdoors and know full well how to layer and stay warm. What I am looking for, specifically, is specific product/store recommendations to go get outerwear for my wife, for this weekend...especially bibs/trousers.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Spend a few dollars, and purchase a few "heat-paks" (or whatever they're called). The ones' made specifically for feet. They go under your toe area, between your socks and boot. Lasts all day!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom