• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ice fishing anyone?

awesome - great recommendations. Craigslist is a good idea that I had overlooked. I'm hoping to go out next week so I'm hoping for low temps to continue!

Regarding etiquette: are most bodies of water considered fair game for fishing unless expressly prohibited? (I know the dept of fish and game prohibits ice fishing on some ponds)

and logistics: once you find a promising slab of ice can you park on the shoulder of a nearby road if there is no entrance or dock?

There are generally not many private ponds in MA worth fishing, so don't worry about that. I always try and find a parking area, but generally off the side of the road is fine. The ice should be good this weekend, but it can really dependent on where you go...when always take your time with an unknown body of water, and drill several test holes and check ice depth. I won't fish on anything under 4", which is considered safe by most, but I know guys that will fish on 2"...I'm not a die hard though, so if I have to wait a week for thicker ice, I don't mind. Better safe than sorry, right?

My offer still stands, I am planning on heading out this Saturday, in Plainville, MA...so if you're interested in learning a little bit, I'm more than happy to teach.

Someone take me ice fishing! I haven't been in about 10 years

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like it better than summer fishing. Only caught 1 decent fish so far this year though.

Spent this past week at Schoodic Lake in Maine, got two days of Ice fishing and one day of catching smelt. It was so cold that when we pulled the tip ups just the little bit of water on our hands was brutal, our fingers felt like they were on fire.

Do you eat them? If so are they good? I'm curious.

Spent this past week at Schoodic Lake in Maine, got two days of Ice fishing and one day of catching smelt. It was so cold that when we pulled the tip ups just the little bit of water on our hands was brutal, our fingers felt like they were on fire.

Decoy gloves from your duck hunting bag will fix this issue!

re: smelt

What's the technique for catching them? I hear of people targeting them, but I've only fished hard water a couple of times, and that was jigging for panfish.

I was fishing on 24" of ice 2 days ago down the road from my house. I plan on fishing this weekend too.

I'm going haddock fishing this weekend if the weather is nice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What town is Haddock Pond in? Couldn't find it on the MA F&G website.

Was on North Shore ice today - 18" thick but not much going on underneath...

Here's the pond map :D.
y2uredab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom