• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ice fishing anyone?

Just seeing if anyone else is into ice fishing...I've been out a few times over the past few years, with some luck, but is not my primary focus fishing.

Just wanted to see if there was anyone else here that partake in it, and maybe get a group of guys together for some fishing and brews once we get safe ice again?

fished from 8-4:45pm...first half of the day tried a new spot. Meh, couple of pickerel. Decided at 11:45am to pull up the gear and try out the honey hole. holes in the ice and gear back in by 1, 9 fish, mix of pics and bass for the next 4 hours until we called it quits...probably another dozen flags, lots of swings and misses today. Had a good time, can't wait to get back out there next weekend.

I've been fishing various places in RI, got a small pickerel earlier this week. Most of the trout ponds have been good to me, we have about 2-6 inches of ice. Haven't fallen through yet, most of the areas are so shallow that even if I did, all I would have to do would be stand up.

Ice fishing to me is better than summer fishing........its fishing while tailgating!

I took my 8 & 10 yr old daughters out today.
We fished Long Pond in Plymouth, MA.
6-8 inches, maybe more.
The girls had a great time.
No fish though.

Long Pond, Long wait!!! fish shiners in 4-6 ft of water on a 12" leader and a #8 black octopus hook... thank me later

This is an open invitation to anyone who ice fishes...I'm planning on going saturday or sunday morning, potentially for the entire day(maybe a quick break between 12-1 when things get slow to grab some lunch). If anyone has had a struggle catching fish ice fishing and needs some confidence, I will bring you to a spot where we will absolutely get flags, and a chance at some big pickerel and bass...only caveat is that you do not tell anyone else about it, or bring anyone else. Looking to get there at 7am, town is plainville, MA. Shoot me a PM.

This is an open invitation to anyone who ice fishes...I'm planning on going saturday or sunday morning, potentially for the entire day(maybe a quick break between 12-1 when things get slow to grab some lunch). If anyone has had a struggle catching fish ice fishing and needs some confidence, I will bring you to a spot where we will absolutely get flags, and a chance at some big pickerel and bass...only caveat is that you do not tell anyone else about it, or bring anyone else. Looking to get there at 7am, town is plainville, MA. Shoot me a PM.
This is a great invitation! Id go and help you out but my boy wants to go rabbit hunting instead.......you guys have fun out there. God sounds like a blast......ice fishing and talking about guns the whole day.....what could be better!

Last Saturday and Sunday, can't wait to get back out!
6e7yde8a.jpg
6u2u4eqe.jpg
uteve5us.jpg
rugypu6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did our annual trip with the kids last weekend while we still had safe ice. Had 7 flags and ended up with 5 fatty perch. The kids had a ball, took off the snowshoes to play a little hockey while the parents chatted. Good times. Love seeing the smiles on their faces. Being in Bourne we can hit Plymouth or the cape in no time, and still be close enough to run home if need be. Cheers

CMEBoston - can you elaborate on your set up? What depth & bait, etc. - PM if you care not to broadcast too much
Thanks

I use small to medium shiners, 12-18" of 8 lb flouro leader and a small gamagatasu circle hook. I believe you can never get too shallow for trout, I like the 3-5 ft line and keep the bait up high. As long as your not setup over a weed pile you should be good to go. I hook the Bait right in front of the dorsal fin for 2 reasons, one the fin hides the hook, and 2 it forces the shiner to swim down. Fish the tip up with the swivel as close to the spool as you can get it, if the ice is thick put out enough so the leader won't chafe the edge of the hole. Make sure everything including your line is black not bright.

Just like fishing any live bait. (My favorite way to fish) presentation is key. Make sure your line is clean and straight, nick and weed free... Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NS - For starters get a few traps - 3 would be good - check regs to see how many lines you're allowed on one license - have a spare. A jigging rod is a must as well.
Try Dicks and see if they have one of these:

It has most things for a good start - add a jigging rod and some tackle and GTG - Dick's is having a clearance sale so items may be hit or miss. Instead of a $50 jigging rod I cheaped out and got a $15 "Dock Master", works, the fish don't care.

Auger:
I have an 8" but a 6" hand auger - with sharp blades! - will do you well. Craigslist is your friend. Don't get caught up in the power auger race until you decide you want to. Sharp blades are more important than an engine.

Shelters:
Again, mad sales on now if you have the time to search (and $$$). I have an Eskimo 3 man and it's roomy - the 6 man units are palatial...add a heater and some light for a comfy stay all night. Otherwise it's dress for success...

Also search out local tackle shops as that is where you will be getting bait - buy local and all that. There's a few up there for sure. Good luck, enjoy

Back
Top Bottom