Ice creepers

Anyone have a suggestion for ice creepers for a size 13-14 lacrosse or muck boot. Used yak tracks before (ones that look like springs). Have the ones that go in the middle of the foot that are basically rectangle metal pieces that fold downward in the corners. Just looking for people that have experience with creepers that worked well for them, but more importantly in that boot size. Bigger foot people know my pain. Did a quick search for this but nothing came up.

It took me 7 years of fairly regular use to wear down the points on my set of STABILicers. The rubber parts show hardly any wear. They say the XL fit size 13.5 - 16. I think they are barely big enough for my size 12 snow boots, but the boots are big for their size.

We've had Yaktrax and IceTrekkers that fell apart in under one season (Yaktrax) or started rusting on the second wearing (the IceTrekkers I had were surprisingly prone to rust).

We also have STABILIcers and Kahtoola gear that just keeps on going. STABILIcers and Kahtoola: Recommended

Thanks for all the recommendations. In the past, finding them to fit my rubber or bigger boots have been the challenge. Ones for my work boot/hiking boots have seemed to be easier. Obviously I have not tried them all. Always get good recommendations when I post a question about equipment here. Thanks again!

Love my icetrekkers for day to day. They are super comfortable and give reasonable traction on ice and excellent snow traction. Yes, they rust but are still perfectly functional after 5 winters of daily use on the job. Great if you will be walking on pavement some since the wear out slower.Amazon product ASIN B00PKEUD9OView: https://www.amazon.com/ICEtrekkers-Diamond-Traction-Cleats-XX-Large/dp/B00PKEUD9O

However, if you are looking for something for woods, lakes, mountains, etc... I would suggest hillsound trail crampons. Fantastic grip, comfort, and build quality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EYG8PNA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418971505&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

I've been using the STREAMtrekkers for wading, ice fishing and hiking for a few years. No issues, no rusting. I've stretched the size Large over some size 11 muck-type boots with ease. I'd contacted them about the difference between their products (Ice vs Stream), and was informed they were simply marketed differently. The STREAMtrekkers are a few bucks less.

STREAMtrekkers - ICEtrekkers

ETA; I do think wearing them while river fishing (rocks) has taken off some of their bite.

I haven't had a chance to use mine yet but have heard good things about Kahtoola Microspikes from folks into winter hiking.

Kahtoola MICROspikes® Snow Footwear, Crampons, & Ice Spikes
I 2nd this. MICROSpikes work very well. With a pair of these on, working on ice / hard packed snow, I pulled/dragged a very heavy wheeled object 20 yards. People were wondering why I was not slipping. I got 2 pairs because they worked so well.

My parents and I are still using yaktrax from over a decade ago. We only use them when really needed. They walk their dog four times a day for about ten miles total no matter the weather, so these have seen some mileage, but not true daily wear. I got the ones with the velcro over the top and they usually just stay on an older pair of boots used only on inclement days.

As I am worried about not chewing up my deck too much or sliding when I get to where ever I am going on the days I am worried about sliding, I just ordered boots with Vibram® Arctic Grip for most of the family. For things like getting to the car or across an icy parking lot and then into the office they seemed like a good option. Supposedly they only keep that level of grip for 250 miles, but given how most non-resolable shoes wear I guess that is manageable. Of course I am still wearing Hightec boots I bought 25 years ago as the goodyear welt construction has allowed me to have them resoled.

I haven't had a chance to use mine yet but have heard good things about Kahtoola Microspikes from folks into winter hiking.

Kahtoola MICROspikes® Snow Footwear, Crampons, & Ice Spikes

+1 for these. I have put a LOT of miles on them in the Whites and up and down Monadnock a couple time, plus several times up and down my local hill, Wachusett. I am still using the same set for everyday use around the house and will use them for ice fishing.

Back
Top Bottom