• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ICE agent sues Sig Sauer for $10M over 320 shooting himself in the leg

Since so many in LE seem to have this thing where they go from chill to volcano in 0.2 seconds flat, is it any surprise that the agent THINKS the gun just went off by itself? That "Hey everybody is cool OH MY GOD I'M GONNA DIE IF I DON'T SHOOT!!!" attitude could absolutely be a contributor to higher percentage of LE negligent discharges, though because of the blue line, they are often excused and blamed on the gun or holster.

On Sept. 21, 2020, Slatowski was conducting his required, quarterly firearms training in New Castle, Delaware, according to the lawsuit. While on the firing line, he was instructed to draw and fire two rounds at the target.

When Slatowski "placed his hand on the pistol grip to draw it out of his holster, the weapon fired," according to the lawsuit.

Sure.

I put a round in the ground about 6 feet in front of me at a training session once. Scared the crap out of me. Granted it was an Open Gun with a 2lb trigger. That was a teachable moment and clearly it was 100% my fault and I'm still delighted no one was hurt. Lessons learned: Don't drop the safety till the gun is up and pointed at the target and keep my bugger finger off the happy switch. Now I draw with my finger on the rounded end of the slide stop as a tactile reminder, bring the gun up and out, them acquire my target dropping my safety at the same time.

Mr. ICE shows up to the range once a year and pegs himself coming out of the hole....his fault not Sig. This reminds me of the Audi sudden acceleration in the eighties....wrong peddle... different device...same results! If you can't handle the tools of your trade get a new trade!

I read somewhere that statistics show that law enforcement have more negligent firearm discharges than civilians per gun owning capita. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
Yep, makes sense cause cops probably handle their guns more often (put gun on daily) than your average gun owner ("uhhhh, yeah my daddys uncles gun is in the basement somewhere").

Don't underestimate the number of daily CCWs in this country.
I dont.
Quick math says about 3 million people carry a gun daily / 72 million People own guns = 4.2% of gun owners handle a gun on a daily basis

Most cops are required to own and carry a gun daily = close to 100% of cops handle a gun on a daily basis

I read somewhere that statistics show that law enforcement have more negligent firearm discharges than civilians per gun owning capita. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
And they are the ones who have LEOSA and many exemptions from state and local firearms and magazine restrictions, on-duty, off-duty and even retired. The rest of us certainly don't!

“3 Million Americans Carry Loaded Handguns Every Day, Study Finds”​

Inquiring minds want to know if there is also a study of how many American carry an unloaded handgun daily? JFC

I’m sure it’s a statistically accurate study.

Rando annoying phone solicitor: “I’m conducting a survey, do you carry a loaded gun ....”
Me: “F**k off”

Well, the percentage of LEOs that carry is much larger than the percentage of non-LEOs that own guns, so that makes sense.

Now, if you get the percentage of of cops v. EDC people, that might be interesting

Well, the percentage of LEOs that carry is much larger than the percentage of non-LEOs that own guns, so that makes sense.

Now, if you get the percentage of of cops v. EDC people, that might be interesting
I remember that study factored in cofounding variables. They got the "LE NG > civilian" stat somehow.

A woman did the same thing not too long ago.

Claimed the Sig shot her.

She is or did sue Sig.

It seems that these guns like to go off by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom