• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IAC HAWK 982

ok so I just bought a hawk 982, and I cant seem to find any accessories(shell holder, pistol grip buttstock etc) for it. I know that its a remington 870 clone, so would the 870 accessories fit on my 982??

Great gun. Rem 870 accessories except barrel and mag extensions will fit. As you can see, the barrel "ring" is in a different place than the Remington due to the longer magazine tube. The mag extension is threaded differently, IIRC.

I have all standard Rem 870 parts on mine, including a Vang enhanced safety, sidesaddle, and synthetic handguard (to clear the sidesaddle). There used to be a guy custom making mag extensions for the 982, but I'm not sure he's in business any more. I'll check for his contact info.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!!

Great gun. Rem 870 accessories except and mag extensions will fit. As you can see, the barrel "ring" is in a different place than the Remington due to the longer magazine tube. The mag extension is threaded differently, IIRC.

I have all standard Rem 870 parts on mine, including a Vang enhanced safety, sidesaddle, and synthetic handguard (to clear the sidesaddle). There used to be a guy custom making mag extensions for the 982, but I'm not sure he's in business any more. I'll check for his contact info.

ok so I just bought a hawk 982, and I cant seem to find any accessories(shell holder, pistol grip buttstock etc) for it. I know that its a remington 870 clone, so would the 870 accessories fit on my 982??

So you finally got your LTC? I didn't see your update post. Congrats.

If you don't mind the question...
How much and where did you pick it up?
Thanks, Matt

I shot my IAC Hawk 982 at the Defensive Shotgun class in April, and loved it. It had zero problems, and ran perfectly. Nearly 400 rounds of mixed bird/buck/slug.
Found it extremely accurate with Wolf 2 3/4 slugs. Liked it so much I've installed a magpul MOE forend and SGA buttstock kit and ordered a Choate 01-04-01 +2 mag extension.
You can get +2 with 2 3/4 shells for 7+1 total load-out. If you load up with 3" you get 6+1. No comb riser needed for the 982's Ghost Ring sights.

It is a very well built 870-clone from Norinco.

299fdda9e3f6079d921887f0cae4e926.500
choate5.jpg

Last edited:
be careful if you change the stock, I have a hawk and the original slide for the forend wouldn't fit a magpul Moe stock I had to get a new Remington one and swap it in. I also installed a tac star 6shell side saddle

so its stamped on the barrel 2 3/4" and 3". that means i can rock the 3" shells correct? this is my first shotgun so im kinda a noob
Seems like you’re new to guns, welcome to the addiction! Yes, if it’s stamped for 3” shells, it will chamber and safely fire them.

I would stick to 2.75” for now, bird shot, unless you feel the need for some punishing recoil. Stick with ‘low brass’ shells for now. Your shoulder will thank me later.

be careful if you change the stock, I have a hawk and the original slide for the forend wouldn't fit a magpul Moe stock I had to get a new Remington one and swap it in. I also installed a tac star 6shell side saddle

I've already installed both the SGA Buttstock and the MOE Forend.
The trick to the forend is to take a 7/8" wood dowel and a strip of emery cloth or sand paper and wrap it around the dowel, (I made a slice with a hacksaw so the strip of emery cloth would be held tight while turning) and then sand it down until it just about fits, but is still too tight. Then run the MOE under the hottest tap water you can get from your sink and it will slide right on. Now run cool water over the MOE to shrink it back down, and you have a perfect fit with no wiggle or jiggle noise. Whole thing took 1/2 hour, including modifying the dowel. Scattergun Feeds & Functions perfectly.

I have a total of $338 dollars into this shotgun and it out-shoots and out-functions all my others. (Including a older Marine Magnum 870 and a Mossy 590A1)

Unrelated: Found this on youtube. Fun video from Front Sight Training in Las Vegas featuring the Hawk 982.

Last edited:
Seems like you’re new to guns, welcome to the addiction! Yes, if it’s stamped for 3” shells, it will chamber and safely fire them.

I would stick to 2.75” for now, bird shot, unless you feel the need for some punishing recoil. Stick with ‘low brass’ shells for now. Your shoulder will thank me later.
I wonder if in the circa 7 years since he made that post if his technique improved.

I've already installed both the SGA Buttstock and the MOE Forend.
The trick to the forend is to take a 7/8" wood dowel and a strip of emery cloth or sand paper and wrap it around the dowel, (I made a slice with a hacksaw so the strip of emery cloth would be held tight while turning) and then sand it down until it just about fits, but is still too tight. Then run the MOE under the hottest tap water you can get from your sink and it will slide right on. Now run cool water over the MOE to shrink it back down, and you have a perfect fit with no wiggle or jiggle noise. Whole thing took 1/2 hour, including modifying the dowel. Scattergun Feeds & Functions perfectly.

I have a total of $338 dollars into this shotgun and it out-shoots and out-functions all my others. (Including a older Marine Magnum 870 and a Mossy 590A1)

yeah that was my mistake I ended up damaging the original as well as the nut that goes on the ammo tube but the 870 replacement parts worked like a charm

Back
Top Bottom