I wonder what the chances are that we'd have a "tax free gun sales day" in NE???

My wife found this online this morning. I wonder why no one here in New England offers anything similar? [laugh]

Rome

Tax-Free Days for Gun Sales

In Louisiana, firearms including shotguns, rifles, pistols, and revolvers, ammunition and hunting supplies are tax-free for three days in September. In 2012, the days were promoted on the state’s website with a promotional video announcing the “Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday.” Among the additional items that can be sold tax-free are knives, bows & arrows, off-road vehicles and safety gear. The annual three-day tax holiday was approved by the Louisiana legislature in 2009.

The previous year, South Carolina waived the state’s sales and use tax on purchases of handguns, rifles and shotguns during a Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday, held just after Thanksgiving on Nov. 28 – 29, 2008. The bill become law after the veto by then-Governor Mark Sanford was overridden in the legislature. The 48-hour tax break on firearm purchases also applied to any local sales and use tax. The tax break did not apply to accessories such as ammunition, black powder, holsters, archery supplies and similar items. The tax holiday, which must be approved annually by the legislature, has not been held the past two years, as the state’s fiscal situation tightened.

A similar proposal in West Virginia was vetoed by then-Governor Joe Manchin (D) in April 2010. Manchin was elected to the U.S. Senate later that year.

Earlier this year, a Texas lawmaker proposed that the Lone Star state’s independence be celebrated by making Texas Independence Day, March 2nd, a tax-free holiday for gun purchases in that state. The proposal would include no sales tax on shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers and other handguns, gun safes, gun cases, cleaning supplies and optics, ammunition, archery equipment, hunting stands, blinds, and decoys, the NBC affiliate in Dallas-Fort Worth has reported.

I have bought guns on tax free weekend. I won't post it here but there are a few dealers who have an interesting way of avoiding the taxes. It helps to get to know them a bit. I have bought a few tax free firearms in mass over the last couple months.

Back
Top Bottom