• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I was just kicked out of a store for a S&W hoodie

Easthampton is actually pretty nice, it's not overpriced like Northampton and it's not Springfield, so by comparison it's heaven out here.

It's still a liberal cesspool and while it is in-fact not Northampton they aspire to be. You will find just as many Markey, Warren, and Obama stickers there. Look at Tautznik and how they voted in the latest state senate race. [puke]

When I make up stories about myself, they usually end with me looking like a bad ass. Like I would have pistol whipped him, left a five spot on the counter, and snapped into a slim-jim as I walked out.

snap-into-a-slim-jim-o.gif

more like

In a former life I may have jumped on the boycott bandwagon....
A small local business? There are not enough of them and this would have been an outstanding moment to make a good impression. I probably would have paid for the beer and said keep the change, (props for the Merry Christmas) and added that most gun owners are the good guys.
Maybe even brought a few gun toting friends to make a purchase without the swag and introduced ourselves as such.... maybe offered to take the guy out shooting.
We need to befriend more people not alienate them.

I haven't read the whole thread....preoccupied with the dog saga and what not...

Can someone tell me why we're all assuming the OP made the story up?

Reading just the OP it seemed plausible.

Go.

It's still a liberal cesspool and while it is in-fact not Northampton they aspire to be. You will find just as many Markey, Warren, and Obama stickers there. Look at Tautznik and how they voted in the latest state senate race. [puke]

That can be said about most everywhere in MA, so I don't factor it in at all.

Hey the clerk took the job.
If I worked shoveling horse shit all day I wouldn't complain about getting stepping in shit all day.
He has to deal with the public, DEAL with it, or get another job. [grin]

That can be said about most everywhere in MA, so I don't factor it in at all.

So then enlighten me as to what's so great about Easthampton? Is it the stellar schools? Great roads? Mountain rd access during snow storms? Low property taxes? Great restaurants? Excellent traffic flow through town and easy highway access? What else do they have?

Oh wait they have none of that[rolleyes]

So then enlighten me as to what's so great about Easthampton? Is it the stellar schools? Great roads? Mountain rd access during snow storms? Low property taxes? Great restaurants? Excellent traffic flow through town and easy highway access? What else do they have?

Oh wait they have none of that[rolleyes]

Wow, someone has an axe to grind with Easthampton, maybe you should write the mayor instead of me. I just happen to like the restaurants like Nini's, Amy's Place is alright (and has some cool musicians show up), Mt. Tom ice cream is cool, the area is relatively quiet, got a good specialty liquor store, the Apollo Grill is nice, etc. etc. I don't see much wrong with the town personally, it's alright by me. Then again I've lived in a pretty shitty town before.

Last edited:
I was on my jog and my wife called to ask if I could pick up a six pack of beer (she uses dark beer to make awesome Kielbasa) So I stopped off at Jim's PACKAGE in Easthampton, Ma. I picked up what I needed and headed to the register. The guy behind the counter looked at me and took a full step back, and asked me flat out if I had a gun on me. I asked him why it would matter, and he told me that he saw my sweatshirt and that If I was carrying he wanted me to leave his store right away. I told him that even though it was none of his business at all, I didn't happen to be carrying at the moment. I wished him a merry Christmas left my purchase on the counter and hit the road. He just lost a customer.

*edited to not give the store in Florence a bad name*

*I am editing again just so this guy doesn't get more of a hard time then he needs to*

I just got a little back story from my brother, Prem (the guy behind the register) is apparently a customer at my brothers shop. and was recently the victim of an armed robbery at one of his families other stores in Springfield so I am thinking he is just very nervous at the moment.

Wait, instead of recognizing you as ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS, he mistook you for a bad guy? And you didn't correct him or put him in his place? And you further won't ID the place?

You started out sounding OK, but totally lost me on this one.

130957225322_1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, someone has an axe to grind with Easthampton, maybe you should write the mayor instead of me. I just happen to like the restaurants like Nini's, Amy's Place is alright (and has some cool musicians show up), Mt. Tom ice cream is cool, the area is relatively quiet, got a good specialty liquor store, the Apollo Grill is nice, etc. etc. I don't see much wrong with the town personally, it's alright by me. Then again I've lived in a pretty shitty town before.

Fairly clear there is an axe to grind here. I'm not going to say Easthampton is the best place on earth, but its far from the sludge pool some seem to be implying. The schools have improved over the last 7 years, but they are still western ma public schools. Traffic? Its 10 minutes to I-91. Restaurants? Sure, they are not five star, but there are some good ones to be had. Again, its a small city in the valley... comparing it to a small town in the Berkshires is silly.

Fairly clear there is an axe to grind here. I'm not going to say Easthampton is the best place on earth, but its far from the sludge pool some seem to be implying. The schools have improved over the last 7 years, but they are still western ma public schools. Traffic? Its 10 minutes to I-91. Restaurants? Sure, they are not five star, but there are some good ones to be had. Again, its a small city in the valley... comparing it to a small town in the Berkshires is silly.

i work at the middle school there. It's decent, has some good teachers and some crappy ones too.

story of the month: a class I was working with was studying Mexico City last month. One kid decided that he wanted to write on his poster that there were 6000 cars there clogging city streets. I asked him where he found that figure, and he said he made it up. I told him he couldn't do that: if he wanted to say how many cars there were he needed to look it up. Lo and behold, in swoops the (painfully liberal) teacher and tells him it's ok to say that because she knew he was trying to say there were a lot of cars there [sad2]

I died a little inside.

I didn't respond to the other but one major point you guys are missing is it is a liberal cesspool filled with all the hamp wannabees. They supported Tautznik for how many years and property taxes there are insane. The schools should be coming around with all the prop 2.5 overrides they have done. The PD is completely obnoxious and is filled with super troopers. You have everyone wanting to know everyone elses business. I have not lived there but have a few friends who live there and it's not all it's cracked up to be. Services are minimal at best and when you have other towns right around there that are far more bang for the buck what's the draw? liberalism?

Don't want to keep derailing the thread about a package store, but the experience you describe is 100% the opposite of what I have had (i moved here about 8 years ago from springfied). Nothing but good encounters with local PD, never had a single person try to get into my business (and both my wife and I wear S&W shirts in town all the time, I work at S&W). The property tax is actually lower then most (all?) of the surrounding towns (of equal size). As for the liberalism/democrats? You are going to get that anywhere in the area, period. The difference is, unlike Northampton, no one try's ramming it down you're neck.

Back
Top Bottom