I was behind the bravest driver in MA today

Back to the diesel issue...

So, when the new European Diesel standards are accepted by the US, we'll be able to get one?

I've been looking forward to that, because all these manufactures that sell these kick ass diesels that they won't sell in the US because our diesel standards suck...

I was reading that the BMW 325 in Europe in Diesel is faster than the gas version.

Actually, that isn't clear to me. Low-sulfur diesel is coming this fall. The problem is that the CARB emissions regs are so strict that few, if any diesels can meet them. The current EPA emission regs are not as strict, but they are supposed to be getting stricter shortly.

I think the new Mercedes Bluetec diesel engine will be 50-state legal. The current 320 CDI engine is NOT 50-state legal. I believe the Bluetec engine uses urea-injection to reduce emissions.

I had a Diesel VW Jetta in the mid-80's. Not by choice but for economic necessity. It wasn't too bad though. Not a real chic magnet but cheap to operate. I took it cross country in the summer of '87, loaded with all my belongings. On one hot day and one stretch I got something like 75mpg (with diesel only about 75-85 cents per gallon).

I drive a Ram. So does Chris... And at least one more here... Are you saying that you're better than us?

BTW, the Dodge Ram has a speed limit in the computer for 110 MPH. So no matter how hard you mash the gas, it ain't going any faster.

But then again, it ain't built for speed...

You go ahead and stick to your jetta there little fella, us MEN will drive real vehicles!

I missed this one the other day, but HEY, I drive a Dodge Ram too, when I'm not in the Peterbilt. [smile] I don't like girly cars.

OH fer-crying-out-fricking-loud people. Fine. He drives a Ford, She drives a Dodge, they drive Chevys. Can we move along...

Chris

Yeah! And get on to some really important debates.

.45ACP vs. 9mm

S&W vs. Colt

Glock vs 1911

Steel vs. plastic

Glock vs. everything else.

Wait, you're Mona Lisa Vito?

Gary

The car had positraction!

Yeah! And get on to some really important debates.

.45ACP vs. 9mm

S&W vs. Colt

Glock vs 1911

Steel vs. plastic

Glock vs. everything else.

Good ideas for debates, Frosty...Somebody choose one and start a new thread on it.

I believe that you are prohibited from registering a diesel vehicle less than 8600 GVW in Massachusetts that is less than six months old. I apologize for not citing the exact statute. Check this article out on interesting information on diesel technology and a bit more about the Massachusetts law. The state web site is not helpful. https://www.gabelli.com/Gab_pdf/res_reports/diesel121604.pdf

Chris

I'm going to have to read through this because I was looking forward to getting a diesel when they became available....but it's looking like unless there's some changes it might happen even if the new standards are in place???

C-pher, as far as I know, the only diesel-engined cars that will be available this fall (excluding the heavy duty pickups and larger trucks) will be from Mercedes.

Rumor has it that Chrysler is going to put the MB Bluetec engine into a Jeep Grand Cherokee. No word on when that will be available.

Y'know, I hadn't been reading this thread lately... I'm sorry I missed it. And darn glad that all you VW owners have been confirming that my decision to buy a Subaru Outback instead of a Jetta w/4Motion back in 02 was the right one!

Sure, it eats front brake rotors like they're candy, but it's never stranded me anywhere... even in the 8" deep mud in my cousin's driveway or the 30" of snow that the plows put in my driveway every winter. (and although it's only been about 12-13 thousand miles since the last set of rotors, so far so good... maybe they got it right this time! *knocking wood*)

Back
Top Bottom