I want to start doing IDPA, how to start?

You just never grew out of that 8th grade bully did you. Shitting on people on gun forums makes you feel better about yourself? Stay classy my friend.

John, 8th grade??? Mike is a mental defect and never went to school. I'm not one to agree with everyone about IDPA stuff, but just look at these guys that have nothing better to do than troll the IDPA threads. It's kinda sad really. Rob and Mike seem to be the first people that jump in… kinda ****ed up. And you can't expect Mike to leave out a Rudy comment every other post as well.

As an ambassador of USPSA- I'm kinda disappointed to hear Rob bash other action sports on such a regular basis. That's not cool and it's getting long in the tooth.

Do you mean real world IDPA gunfighting tactics like never reloading when you a round in your chamber, or are you referring to the real world gunfighting tactic of picking up any dropped magazines that have rounds in them? (Curiously, none of my LE friends report being taught either of these tactics in their training).

Valid points, but we can't let perfect stand in the way of great.

Johniac7078 I have several pistol but the two I am considering for idpa are my sw1911 pro series with a 3 inch barrel or my HK45. The 1911 is my carry gun so it makes sense to use that but I think the HK will be better in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

As an ambassador of USPSA- I'm kinda disappointed to hear Rob bash other action sports on such a regular basis. That's not cool and it's getting long in the tooth.

I think it's cool whenever people get together to compete with guns. It's better than sleeping in on weekends.

There is a lot of good information out there, but you could take a breeze through this video from a guy that like IDPA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If_oNKQSJrM&list=TLl9IeLXiGDr8huaxKCkqd2qKP70B-Y_6B

But apart from that the things you'll want are:
- baseball hat or some hat to keep the sun out and brass from getting down your glasses
- comfortable sneakers or shoes, you stand a lot most the day
- some sunblock - if you need that type of stuff
- bring water or something to keep you hydrated during the day
- snacks (though Harvard IDPA matches usually have a guy selling burgers and stuff)
- a small towel in the summer for your hands and sweat
- depending where you shoot, some bug spray, some clubs are nearer to swamp lands
- some people bring collapsable seats - but make sure you fit in them with your gear on

Most the shooting stuff was covered and readlily available, but these are some of the other things that are good to keep in mind. Remember, even slow shooting, you spend about 5-10 minutes shooting, the rest of the 5-6 hours is spent standing, taping targets and talking with some really cool guys and gals - some who are more sarcastic than others as you see.

And lookie here.. we still have people using the same ol IDPA isn't tactical enough… oh my. Zzzzz

John, 8th grade??? Mike is a mental defect and never went to school. I'm not one to agree with everyone about IDPA stuff, but just look at these guys that have nothing better to do than troll the IDPA threads. It's kinda sad really. Rob and Mike seem to be the first people that jump in… kinda ****ed up. And you can't expect Mike to leave out a Rudy comment every other post as well.

well, look who put on there hubble station eye glasses and finally decided to join us, It is nice that you took time out from scrubbing the stains out of your shirt to post here. As the poster boy, a very short poster, of all that is wrong in the shooting world, are you really in a position to comment

well, look who put on there hubble station eye glasses and finally decided to join us, It is nice that you took time out from scrubbing the stains out of your shirt to post here. As the poster boy, a very short poster, of all that is wrong in the shooting world, are you really in a position to comment

Damn Mike- that was weak. I was hoping for better so we could keep this going.

Hey watch it! That's my shooting coach and equipment sponsor you're talking to.

No Mike, you are doing that yourself.

I'm issuing a FTDR on myself? Hmm doesn't sound like something I would call. Lets take this to the arbitration committee. I will pay the Ho-Ho fee...

So after careful debilitation and an insulin shot, the committee ruled that arbitrary calls are allowed...Damn, this is going to keep me in SS

GM refers to a different game called USPSA, which doesn't incorporate real world gunfighting tactics.

Nor does IDPA, but both games are a ton of fun to shoot and give you lots of trigger time and practice. Join either one or both. shoot and have fun.

I have not had any luck finding someplace local to get started. It seems the classifiers are few and far between and I would have to drive 2+ hours to go. I live 30 minutes east of Pittsfield.
S&W is currently not doing idpa and I am on an email list to let me know when they start again.

Last edited:
I have not had any luck finding someplace local to get started. It seems the classifiers are few and far between and I would have to drive 2+ hours to go. I live 30 minutes east of Pittsfield.
S&W is currently not doing idpa and I am on an email list to let me know when they start again.

You don't need to shoot a classifier first. You can compete while being unclassified -- you just can't shoot a sanctioned match. So don't worry about finding a classifier.

I haven't seen any IDPA in western MA for a while, but you can shoot USPSA in Monson: http://www.monsonactionshooters.com/index.htm

Last edited:
I shot in my first match last Saturday at my club in Pembroke,MA had a blast but I suck. Only did it as fun and it was. We are having a match every third Saturday. The IDPA web site isnt exactly friendly to narrow down searches to locate these matches. I'm sure with more time I could figure it out though, good luck shooting.

Do you still get a score if it is unsanctioned?

Yes. Sanctioned matches require pre-registration and cost a lot more -- think the MA State Championship, the New England Regional, or the S&W Indoor Nationals. Those are sanctioned matches. You need to be classified to shoot in those matches.

But you don't need to be classified to shoot in a regular club match. Yes, you will still get a score. Your classification will be "unclassified."

Can anyone point me to a local match?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=idpa+in+massachusetts
http://www.idpa.com/

I shot in my first match last Saturday at my club in Pembroke,MA had a blast but I suck. Only did it as fun and it was. We are having a match every third Saturday. The IDPA web site isnt exactly friendly to narrow down searches to locate these matches. I'm sure with more time I could figure it out though, good luck shooting.

Is that Old Colony running IDPA? Is that every third week or every third Saturday of the month? I want to mark my calendar and maybe take a ride up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roccoracer, If you are in MA and or are close enough to take a course, GOAL has them regularly. They also have them at some of the local sportsman's clubs.

http://www.goal.org/training/idpa_intro.html
I took the GOAL course with Jon Green, and it was a VERY good course. I never did IDPA before and felt good when I finished the day. Several of the local clubs have practice, and is open to the public. Check Harvard, and Woburn Sportsmens clubs, there are several more too. ComTac has good holsters, and you need a good belt and 2mag holders, and a light vest that covers your gun on your belt. IDPA has their own website, and you do not have to be a member right away. Have fun!

I am a member of the idpa already. I am going to use my HK45. I have a sigtac holster and a two mag carrier already and also just bought a concealment vest. I am itching to go but the clubs your mention are still around 2 hours away.

Is that Old Colony running IDPA? Is that every third week or every third Saturday of the month? I want to mark my calendar and maybe take a ride up there.

Third Saturday of July, its on the Old Colony web site. Match starts at 9, set up and registration start at 8:30.

Last edited:
I am a member of the idpa already. I am going to use my HK45. I have a sigtac holster and a two mag carrier already and also just bought a concealment vest. I am itching to go but the clubs your mention are still around 2 hours away.

If you want to play, you better get used to traveling. When I shot every weekend, closest club to me that I went to regularly was an hour. Others were 2hrs each way. A couple were more.

It all depends on how much you want to shoot. You get used to the drive

I guess I am lucky to live where I do. With Pembroke added, I now have 6 clubs that shoot IDPA or USPSA within an hour. I have to pick and choose when/where to shoot.

Harvard's about 40 minutes for me, Worcester about an hour, Pioneer about 1.5 hours. I got friends to come out with me from my town. That way we share the driving responsibilities and have a good time talking about the matches on the ride!

Look into the Lee Sportsman club. They were doing idpa last year. I don't remember what weekend they do it it on, but the info should be on their sight.

when u get to computer I'll edit with their info as doing it from my phone sucks.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom