• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want to see the revolver these will fit

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
It will probably be called the XXX frame !

"Given the dearth of new big bore hunting pistol cartridges in recent years, we at Guns and Shooting Online felt that it was time that we became proactive in order to jump start the market. Wimpy efforts such as the .475 Linebaugh and .500 S&W may be okay for mouse guns and girley men, but real men need a new cartridge into which we can sink our teeth............"

For the whole story go here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/825_magnum.htm

The new 750 grain bullets developed specifically for the .825 G&S Online Express Magnum have ballistic coefficients of 0.180 and sectional densities of 0.158. One of these new bullets is a lead core fully-jacketed hollow point (JHP) design. The Premium bullet is a monolithic gilding metal hollow point (MHP) designed for deep penetration and virtually 100% weight retention in any creature up to and including a T-Rex.

There will be two initial .825 G&S Online Express Magnum loads. The "Standard" (or medium velocity) load will drive the 750 grain JHP bullet at a MV of 1280 fps for a ME of 2724 ft. lbs. It is hoped that this load will suffice for hunting the smaller species of deer. It can also serve as a mild practice load. This standard load can be recognized by its brass-plated case.

The "Premium," full power load drives the 750 grain MHP bullet at a MV of 1610 fps and ME of 4300 ft. lbs. This is power on a par with elephant rifle cartridges and it is hoped that the Premium .825 G&S Online Express Magnum load will serve to keep elk shot with it dead for years to come. The .825 Premium load can be recognized by its nickel-plated case. The ballistics of both loads were measured in a 10" vented test barrel.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about when I want a Gun For Dinosaur!! [rofl2]

In addition to the recoil (which wouldn't bother anybody here, of course), there's also the little matter of NFA and GCA, which classify anything over .50 as a destructive device, requiring all those pesky forms. [wink]

Ken

...750 grain... ... .825 ( ! )
shocker.gif
faint2.gif
loco.gif

okay.. i've had a rough week, so excuse the naivete...

They're kidding, right? [thinking]

They're kidding big time. I like this paragraph, particularly the last line:

Preliminary testing of the new cartridge has been conducted using a single shot, closed-breech pistol with a 10" barrel, and has yielded excellent accuracy results. 5-shot, 100 yard groups have averaged 0.25 MOA, with the largest groups measuring 0.5" and the smallest groups measuring 0.1", regardless of who on the Guns and Shooting Online staff has done the shooting. Seldom, outside of the pages of print magazines, has the shooting world seen such a consistently accurate cartridge.

Also the points about North American animals keep getting harder and harder to kill so bigger bullets are needed!
I think that they're poking fun at how the magazine writers keep saying that you need larger and larger calibers for hunting a given animal... Didn't Elmer Keith use his .357 for taking deer and elk?

1) such a cartridge is above .50 caliber which means it would not be considered suitable for sporting purposes by the BATFE.

2) that's an incredibly bad photoshop job. a ten year old could do better.

1) such a cartridge is above .50 caliber which means it would not be considered suitable for sporting purposes by the BATFE.

There are numerous exemptions to that regulation for hunting rifles and
the like. I know for a fact that there are a ton of big game rifles which
are not considered "DD's" by the ATF. I don't know if you could get away
with it on a handgun, but maybe if you like carve a picture of a grizzly bear
on the side of it, or something. [wink]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom