• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want to go hunting, but I don't know where to start.

I'm in the same boat. The wife and I would like to pheasant hunt someday. Need to get familiar with shotguns though, thats next on our list to purchase.

Ham Slam makes an excellent point - "Hunting" is not always the same as "bringing home dinner"

Sometimes it's that way on purpose (as HS suggests), sometimes it just works out that way.

Also, whatever you are planning on using, PRACTICE!

My kids, last fall, said that they wanted to try to murder Bambi. Cool, but it was too-short notice. The younger is a crack shot, but the older needs more gun time, IMO. I told them that we'd be hitting the range this summer, both with the shottie, and the BP Rifle.

They're not Archers, yet, at least not on the "ethical Shot" level, but with a bit of a tune-up they'll be ready to fire slug or ball.

First, congrats on deciding to become a hunter and good luck! I started making hunting mistakes about four years ago, and for the last two years consider myself a hunter-in-training, once I got a bit more serious about it and started spending more time in the woods. It's a great way to get out of the house, spend some time with nature, and clear your head.

Another option on learning to hunt: consider hiring a guide. You'll find many more options for upland than for deer or turkey, but they are out there. After I got my license and when I still knew nothing about actually hunting, I went to Fairholm Farms Upland Preserve in CT, bought 6 pheasants to be released, hired their guide and dog, and got my first taste of "hunting" and shooting to kill. Challenge-wise, it's about one step above shooting a turkey in the produce aisle at Stop & Shop, but I wasnt yet comfortable asking people for help at my club and it was a good introduction. Later I hired Capt Dave from Baymen Charters to guide me for deer. While I didn't get a chance to shoot, he taught me the basics of tracking, staying silent and motionless, what I needed for scent control, etc. For me, it was really worth the fee to just experience a "real" hunt and correct what I was doing wrong based on my own self-teaching.

You may not want to go this route, but for me, I found both helpful. At the very least, listen to a prior poster (HamSlam perhaps?): there's no substitute for just spending time in the woods and learning. Even if you dont bring home dinner, its a great way to spend a day!

Good luck!
Craig

OP, HSC stocks Pheasant I believe and hunting on club grounds is allowed to club members only.

I am in the EXACT same position as you.... I have no idea where to begin learning to hunt, but I did take the hunters safety course last year. YES it was a total JOKE, but YES it is required. just do it and get it over with. Just purchased a shotgun for upland birds and going to get another ( single shot ) for Turkey. Dont get to caught up in the gun part of it, as more game has been taken with $50 single shot shotguns than we could ever count!

Ill be completely honest in saying the most intimidating thought about hunting is field dressing any game that was actually harvested, as I dont know if I have the stomach for it. But I feel compelled to over come that fear.

My interests are Turkey, Pheasant, and Duck

Ive also decided to purchase a Bow next moth with some bonus money from work instead of another firearm as another way of potentially hunting

My younger son went to JUnior Conservation Camp last year, and loved it. He'd already passed HUnter Ed (It's required for camp - if you have not taken it before, you take it there), and got his Boater's license.

But the field dressing was part of it. One course he had was "Field to table." They started out with chickens, clucking in a box, and ended up with chicken pot pies. They got fish that were caught by the Fishing education course, and ended up with trout, wrapped in bacon.

It was definitely a get-your-hands- dirty course.

If you know of any outdoorsy kids 13-18, check it out.

My younger son went to JUnior Conservation Camp last year, and loved it. He'd already passed HUnter Ed (It's required for camp - if you have not taken it before, you take it there), and got his Boater's license.

But the field dressing was part of it. One course he had was "Field to table." They started out with chickens, clucking in a box, and ended up with chicken pot pies. They got fish that were caught by the Fishing education course, and ended up with trout, wrapped in bacon.

It was definitely a get-your-hands- dirty course.

If you know of any outdoorsy kids 13-18, check it out.

As a fat 32 year old I probably wouldnt pass for a 13-18 year old huh?

Back
Top Bottom