I want a good, classic wheel gun

S&W 25/625 45 acp

Well, if you're going to get crazy about it, how about a 547, in 9mm.

20121213_143818.jpg

Complete with spring loaded extractor. No moon clips required.

20121213_143857.jpg

+1
It's a great gun, sharp looking and will shoot .38 no problem.

Python is pure sex. I had one years ago and the bluing was just gorgeous. I actually shot mine though, and it continually went out of time. Just one man's experience.

One thing thats great about the 66 is that they aren't terribly expensive. For the cost of a new PC revolver, you can send a used 66 off to a guy like Richard Fletcher, a master revolversmith. http://www.fletchercustompistols.com/index.htm

He will do a trigger job, properly size the forcing cone and chambers, check and repair end shake, cylinder gap and timing, for not a lot of dough.

What you will get back is going to outshoot any factory gun and not cost any more. The deals are out there on the 66. You just have to look. Its neither as modern as the 686 nor as collectible as the 19.

Don

Last edited:
If I was looking for a classy revolver in either .38 and/or .357 I'd look for (in this order):

A Colt Python
An older Dan Wesson
S&W 686
S&W Model 10

I have a Nickel 4" Colt Python available!

Currently my handgun collection is all semi-autos: Glock, SIG-Sauer, S&W, Ruger, Browning, etc. I have fond memories of shooting revolvers in my youth, though, and I like the "feel of the wheel" so to speak.

I am looking for suggestions. At the moment I am favoring the S&W Model 15 or the 586, chambered in .38 Special +P. I don't want to go .357 because I still want to be able to shoot plates, etc., at my ranges. These guns seem on the high side in price, though. I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I wonder if there are better ways to go yet still get the classic look and feel. Suggestions?

I have a Nickel 4" Colt Python available!

Oh. Thats just a beautiful piece in a great length and finish.

By the way. I mentioned that Colts don't hold timing as well as a Smith. While its true, the great revolversmith and shooter Grant Cunningham gives an excellent full explanation:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/colt_python_delicate.html

I don't regret selling my Python because it was a 6" gun and I"m much more interested in 4" guns these days. Wish I had some cash.

Don

So, some questions for the OP.

Do you want to use it for target/home defense, or do you want it to be carryable?
That plays into the next question - do you have an aversion to 6 bbl?

whats your preference re blued or stainless.

It seems like you've already nailed down the da vs sa question.

If you are open to stainless and you are on a budget, the GP100 is a great gun. It will last many lifetimes and is not a lot of dough. I like it in 4".

If you have the $$ for a Smith, i'm a big fan of the 19 (blued) or 66 (stainless)
They're both .357 magnum guns, but you can shoot .38s out of them.
In fact, if you want to shoot a lot of .357, you are actually better off with their larger, newer cousins the 586 and 686 in blued and stainless respectively

I don't know if the 19/66 were ever made in 6" bbls. I'm guessing they were, but i'm not sure.

Don

Thanks for the response (and that goes to everyone who responded)!

In order,

- It would be mainly a range gun. My Glock 22 handles home def, tyvm. [smile]
- Preference is for a 4" barrel.
- DA (but not DAO — which I don't think applies to non-hammerless revolvers anyway, but I just want to be clear).
- I prefer blued, with walnut grips — no rubber — but I'd definitely look at stainless.

Last edited:
If I was looking for a classy revolver in either .38 and/or .357 I'd look for (in this order):

A Colt Python
An older Dan Wesson
S&W 686
S&W Model 10

The grip on the Model 10 seems a bit thin for me, and the 686 doesn't look "classic" enough. I like the heft of the 15 or 586 — they look like they would balance well in my hands, which are on the large side.

Not familiar with the Dan Wesson. I just Googled them and a lot of them look very modern. I guess that's why you specified an "older" one.

Colt Python is definitely a possibility, esp. in 4".

Rob,

Smith and Wesson guns have come with either a round butt or a square "target" butt for the last 100 years.

A gun with a round butt can use larger grips that gives the same size grip as a square butt gun.

Bottom line is that you should not be considering the grips when deciding on a gun. You can spend $35 on replacement factory wood style grips. Or you can spend $100+ on exotic wood grips. Whatever you like.

Either way, don't discount a gun because you either don't like the grip material or the grip shape.

I'll try to get a couple of pics to demonstrate this to you.

Don

p.s. If are prepared to spend the $$, considering the fact that you will be shooting mainly .38s, a Python would be a great purchase.

There's a spot in my safe for nearly any 4" K-frame, for the right price. I'm just not sure how I justify it, practically speaking.

Not familiar with the Dan Wesson. I just Googled them and a lot of them look very modern. I guess that's why you specified an "older" one.

I'm sure what he meant by "older" is one made at the old Monson Mass factory.
They later moved production to Palmer Mass, but the quality went down hill from there.
I've owned two in the past, a model 15 and a 715 (stainless), both great guns and both made in Monson.
I traded the 715 to a fellow NES'er a year ago.

Thanks for the response (and that goes to everyone who responded)!

In order,

- It would be mainly a range gun. My Glock 22 handles home def, tyvm. [smile]
- Preference is for a 4" barrel.
- DA (but not DAO — which I don't think applies to non-hammerless revolvers anyway, but I just want to be clear).
- I prefer blued, with walnut grips — no rubber — but I'd definitely look at stainless.

The grip on the Model 10 seems a bit thin for me, and the 686 doesn't look "classic" enough. I like the heft of the 15 or 586 — they look like they would balance well in my hands, which are on the large side.

Colt Python is definitely a possibility, esp. in 4".

S&W 27-2 or 28-2 in 4".
They are out there in excellent condition and won't break the bank as a Python surely would.
It doesn't get much more "classic" than these two icons and you'll hardly wear them out.
A friend is shooting a 28-2 of the SFPD which were sold cheap over here. It has the "been
there-done that" look but is still a tack driver. Doesn't get much better at ~ $250.

S & W 686 4" would be my pick. Stainless for all weather carry/use.

Shoot 38's and 357's all day long.

Makes a great platform for 38+P's

There's a spot in my safe for nearly any 4" K-frame, for the right price. I'm just not sure how I justify it, practically speaking.

I'm with you. I justified the $900 for my 547 by saying I'll save a fortune in ammo. I can reload 9mm for about $5.20/box with precisionbullets.com 147 grain bullets.

Partial family portrait. I've got to do one with the J frame and the X frame to back up the comparison.

Guns are a 6" 29 high polish nickel in .44 magnum (under that paint), 6" 686 and 4" 66.

I got the 66 for $600 with 900 rounds of .357 magnum JHP. So the deals are out there.

c60103ca.jpg

Last edited:
My answer is still the Model 10 - you can get a great pair of wood grips from S&W to replace the standard rubber ones. There's no more classic current production DA wheelgun.

To the OP. Don't forget. If you like everything about the Model 10 except for the dainty little grips, you can buy larger, more hand filling grips for it in either custom or original style wood, or rubber.

Model 10's can be beautiful:

10-5left%20800x485.jpg

as can Model 15's:
left%20800x493.jpg

or 36's"

left_tipped%20800x477.jpg

or 29's:
29nleft%20600x341.jpg

19's don't look to bad in blue either:

19_3left%20800x356.jpg

the 27 looks pretty good too:

27-2.jpg

you can't beat a Model 17 (22lr) for accuracy or cheap to shoot:
k22left%20800x460.jpg

If you want the classic look, find one that catches your eye. Makes no difference which one, you'll love it.

The Dan Wesson's are very accurate, and offer a unique feature - user removable barrels & shrouds. Want a 8" w/ full underlug for the range, and a 4" for carry? A simple tool lets you make the swap.

I've got a Monson, MA .357 - great revolver.

Back
Top Bottom