I want a good, classic wheel gun

Currently my handgun collection is all semi-autos: Glock, SIG-Sauer, S&W, Ruger, Browning, etc. I have fond memories of shooting revolvers in my youth, though, and I like the "feel of the wheel" so to speak.

I am looking for suggestions. At the moment I am favoring the S&W Model 15 or the 586, chambered in .38 Special +P. I don't want to go .357 because I still want to be able to shoot plates, etc., at my ranges. These guns seem on the high side in price, though. I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I wonder if there are better ways to go yet still get the classic look and feel. Suggestions?

Currently my handgun collection is all semi-autos: Glock, SIG-Sauer, S&W, Ruger, Browning, etc. I have fond memories of shooting revolvers in my youth, though, and I like the "feel of the wheel" so to speak.

I am looking for suggestions. At the moment I am favoring the S&W Model 15 or the 586, chambered in .38 Special +P. I don't want to go .357 because I still want to be able to shoot plates, etc., at my ranges. These guns seem on the high side in price, though. I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I wonder if there are better ways to go yet still get the classic look and feel. Suggestions?

You can shoot 38 special out of a 357 revolver. It's hard to beat a K frame 357 (models 13, 19, 65, 66).

I have my dads old ruger security 6 and its an absolute blast to shoot. And as the post above me says, you can definitely shoot .38 through a .357. I do it all the time :)

by "classic" do you mean a cowboy type or an old police type? if police style is what you're looking for, what jar said is spot on. i have a model 13 that i love and would recommend to anyone. (mine is not for sale)
that being said, i would love an old cowboy style 357, can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks.

I've had a lot of fun with a variety of the Ruger wheelguns. Depending on if you're into stainless or blued, the 3" or 4.2" SP-101s are a blast to shoot and you can find them used for short money.

So, some questions for the OP.

Do you want to use it for target/home defense, or do you want it to be carryable?
That plays into the next question - do you have an aversion to 6 bbl?

whats your preference re blued or stainless.

It seems like you've already nailed down the da vs sa question.

If you are open to stainless and you are on a budget, the GP100 is a great gun. It will last many lifetimes and is not a lot of dough. I like it in 4".

If you have the $$ for a Smith, i'm a big fan of the 19 (blued) or 66 (stainless)
They're both .357 magnum guns, but you can shoot .38s out of them.
In fact, if you want to shoot a lot of .357, you are actually better off with their larger, newer cousins the 586 and 686 in blued and stainless respectively

I don't know if the 19/66 were ever made in 6" bbls. I'm guessing they were, but i'm not sure.

Don

My first revolver was a Security 6 mfg 1975 and I picked it up for short $. It shoots well in SA, but DA leaves a bit to be desired. It's been described as a SA gun that is capable of DA. It has done everything I've asked and I'd never sell it. I'd buy another one if it fell into my lap. Great gun.

I'll just leave this here...
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/180685-Christmas-Present-to-Yourself

I put a Security 6 Competition trigger reset spring along with the lightest weight GP100 Competition hammer spring in my Security Six, with a spur less hammer, and DA is pretty smooth and light for a revolver. This configuration won't light off factory 357 reliably, but it is set up for a gaming gun with use of Federal primers.

Ruger, Smith or Colt, they are all fun. An old Colt Police Positive needs to find it's way into my meager collection. A friend has one that his Dad carried for forty years as a cop and dog warden. Really holster worn, but a sweet shooter.

Revolvers have become my favorite at the range as of late. Get one....or two.......or three......

If you want a classic .38 wheelgun, look no further than the Model 10 - it is a very old, proven model and there are many, many of them available on the used market. It's the essence of what a revolver is and the template on which many of the modern S&Ws were derived from - and its popular enough even today that it is still produced.

If you are looking for a range gun get a Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk. It has a 4 5/8 inch barrel and easy to shoot with 357 loads. No problem with 38 special and 38+Ps. They can be found in the $400 range. Paid $369 several years ago for a NIB over on The Ruger Forum.

If you are looking for a range gun get a Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk. It has a 4 5/8 inch barrel and easy to shoot with 357 loads. No problem with 38 special and 38+Ps. They can be found in the $400 range. Paid $369 several years ago for a NIB over on The Ruger Forum.

Its a wonderful gun, but the OP said he wants double action. I'd not be a fan of the 50th anneversary gun as a shooter. I like the shoulders on the sight and if you don't get the 50th you can get some interesting convertibles, like the 9mm/357 or the .45 Colt/.45ACP.

You can also get the Bisley gun with the Bisley grip/hammer.

Either way. Nice call.

Its a wonderful gun, but the OP said he wants double action. I'd not be a fan of the 50th anneversary gun as a shooter. I like the shoulders on the sight and if you don't get the 50th you can get some interesting convertibles, like the 9mm/357 or the .45 Colt/.45ACP.

You can also get the Bisley gun with the Bisley grip/hammer.

Either way. Nice call.

FS has a used NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK .45 ACP 46-91xxx $449.95 45 LC CYLINDER BONE GRIPS BLUED 4 5/8 INCH BARREL

by "classic" do you mean a cowboy type or an old police type? if police style is what you're looking for, what jar said is spot on. i have a model 13 that i love and would recommend to anyone. (mine is not for sale)
that being said, i would love an old cowboy style 357, can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks.

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/models.html

5108.jpg

they come in blue too:

5106.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom