• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I used to have Vespas in the 60's but not like this !

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
119586.jpg

I should try and figure out the physics but I bet you the Vespa could come to a complete stop from 40MPH if it fired that cannon. The ride unfortuantely would probably follow the projectile.

Fee

I should try and figure out the physics but I bet you the Vespa could come to a complete stop from 40MPH if it fired that cannon. The ride unfortuantely would probably follow the projectile.

Fee

Just the opposite. It's not a cannon, but a recoilless rifle. I always loved having one of those around.

Ken

Just the opposite. It's not a cannon, but a recoilless rifle. I always loved having one of those around.

Ken

Ken , you obviously know more about weapons that I would ever know but you are telling me that that thing is 1) Not a cannon 2) doesn't have a recoil? I am sorry but I need some documentation before I accept that. How can something that big not produce some kind of force in the opposite direction to the projectile?

Fee

Or are you simply playing on my newbieness? [wink]

Is that housing at the breech end something to absorb the recoil?

Whatever it is, looks like a great way to shoot your... never mind. This is a family forum. [wink]

But I may never again hear someone call a Corvette a "penismobile" without thinking of this picture and giggling.

The shell casing of a recoilless rifle round is perforated. The breech is enlarged to both contain and direct the backblast when the round is fired.

I was a gunner on a 106mm recoiless when I was in the Seabee's (NMCB-40). I got to sit on the wheeled tripod and be the lucky bastard who got to set the gun off on the command of the fire team leader. [smile]

The pic below is not mine but it is exactly like the one I got to shoot.
recoilaf_1x.jpg

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_infweapons_recoilless.php

They had a .50 spotting rifle which sat on top on the gun. It fired a shortened .50BMG round with a tracer/WP tip. The idea was to fire no more than two spotter rounds to get on target, then fire the big bore and get the hell outta Dodge before receiving incoming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoilless_rifle

Somewhere I have pictures of a night fire exercise we did. The muzzle flash, back blast and the concussion going off at once was truly an unforgettable experience. If I can find the pics I'll hook up the scanner and post 'em.

The shell casing of a recoilless rifle round is perforated. The breech is enlarged to both contain and direct the backblast when the round is fired.

I was a gunner on a 106mm recoiless when I was in the Seabee's (NMCB-40). I got to sit on the wheeled tripod and be the lucky bastard who got to set the gun off on the command of the fire team leader. [smile]

The pic below is not mine but it is exactly like the one I got to shoot.
recoilaf_1x.jpg

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_infweapons_recoilless.php

They had a .50 spotting rifle which sat on top on the gun. It fired a shortened .50BMG round with a tracer/WP tip. The idea was to fire no more than two spotter rounds to get on target, then fire the big bore and get the hell outta Dodge before receiving incoming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoilless_rifle

Somewhere I have pictures of a night fire exercise we did. The muzzle flash, back blast and the concussion going off at once was truly an unforgettable experience. If I can find the pics I'll hook up the scanner and post 'em.

Thank you Mr Twigg, I learn something new everyday. Ken I apologize for doubting you. Amazing[smile]

It's not a cannon, but a recoilless rifle. I always loved having one of those around.

It is indeed. Looks much like the one on the "technical" neutralized in Blackhawk Down. Let the hog riders ridicule your ride; you'll still be the "best equipped" cycle stud on the streets!

And you better believe you'll "make the earth move"....[wink]

Marines had the right idea for a gun platform, 6 recoilless rifles mounted on a tracked vehicle.
standard.jpg
[/IMG]

They used to have a very simple mount as well; one recoilless rifle on a flat platform; the engine was underneath and the driver was slung in a frame off the left front corner. I think it was called a "mule."

Story of the vespa pictured

I sent the pic to an Italian friend of mine who is a Vespa enthusiast. He sent me the following info:

After World War II, there was little money for defense spending while the nations of Europe rebuilt their industry and society. When there was some cash to spend, one had to be creative to stretch it as far as possible. The French probably accomplished the most astounding example of that with the ACMA Troupes Aeról Portées Mle. 56. Deployed with their airborne forces, this was essentially a militarized Vespa scooter outfitted with a 75mm recoilless rifle. Five parachutes would carry the two-man gun crew, weapon, ammunition, and two scooters safely to earth, and the men would load the weapon on one scooter and the ammo on the other, then ride away. More impressively, the recoilless rifle could be fired effectively on the move by the best of the gun crews. Total cost? About $500 for the scooter and the recoilless rifle was war surplus. Were they successful military machines? Well, the French Army deployed about 800 armed scooters in wars conducted in both Algeria and Indochina.

...Were they successful military machines? Well, the French Army deployed about 800 armed scooters in wars conducted in both Algeria and Indochina.

IOW, they proved themselves to be about as useful to the French as having France "on our side" would be for the US.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom