• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I use to like Ruger, now I'm beginning to hate them (yup, it's time to rant)

Both an ex girlfriend and I shot a P32 .32 and TCP .380 side-by-side and preferred the .380. .32 does have slightly less recoil and slightly better capacity but I think shooting comfort depends more on the gun than anything else. It's also a semi-rimmed cartridge, and the bullet is small enough that JHPs are not seen as effective by some people.

Absolutely wouldn't trust .22 for a defensive gun. Rimfire primers aren't 100% reliable and it's a fully rimmed cartridge as well.

I want a $3 dollar Tommy gun...

UGR5.gif

IN FOR THE GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!! can jack handle this for us? Littleton is a bit of a hike for me, but i'll make the sacrifice

Both an ex girlfriend and I shot a P32 .32 and TCP .380 side-by-side and preferred the .380. .32 does have slightly less recoil and slightly better capacity but I think shooting comfort depends more on the gun than anything else. It's also a semi-rimmed cartridge, and the bullet is small enough that JHPs are not seen as effective by some people.

Absolutely wouldn't trust .22 for a defensive gun. Rimfire primers aren't 100% reliable and it's a fully rimmed cartridge as well.
News flash: JHP's aren't that effective in .380 either. There are a couple out there that penetrate well, the drawback is they expand very little. The answer I've found for both .32 and .380 is non-expanding ammo. Lehigh (boutique ammo company) makes a nifty all copper .32 bullet, so it's pricey, but it's the best ammo for .32 out there. For .380, I like the Inceptor ammo. It's light for caliber, 60 grains, but it penetrates reliably and has a bit less recoil, but it's still .380 and will recoil.

Also, when those copper/polymer bullets hit bone, I'm not sure what they'll do. A solid copper .32 bullet? That's going to hold together just fine.

5.7x28 is a thing because the requirement for the request that it was made for was that a pistol caliber needed to be able to penetrate "body armor."

So thats why it's a hot mess. It is typical US/NATO competition land that always births some insane shit that everyone is confused about for good reason.

Shit like the P90 is/would be great for people in tanks, IFV's, etc. Places where the actual carried firearm is not the main weapon, the cannon or autocannon or MG on the thing is. So when it's on fire and everyones trying to run away from it the P90 can be dragged right out without getting caught on the unlimited amount of things that like to get people caught on inside of armor. These people don't need small arms to fight bad guys, they need small arms to keep the bad guys down so they can run off to escape.

P90 would be great at that. It's tiny, holds 5,000 rounds and I'm not going to stare at one shooting at me.

If NATO had agreed to ditch 9mm for 5.7mm then it would have been a thing. Even as handy as P90s are for vehicle crews, once AR pattern carbines with collapsible stocks become commonplace there was less of a desire for a SMG that had zero parts or cartridge commonality. Logistics drive equipment decisions and the 5.7mm round wasn't revolutionary enough over 9mm to be worth it.

Same reason why I think any 6mm round to replace 5.56 and 7.62 NATO isn't going to work unless it proves superior to both rounds enough to justify consolidating calibers and changing the supply chain/rebuilding warehouse stock.

Maybe I’m low on sleep but for the love of god please stop. I didn’t reply to the first post because I thought it was an attempt at sarcasm. Someone find me a billy Madison meme- we are all dumber for having listened to that. Undoubtedly 3 minutes of my life I won’t get back. OP if you’re really that butt hurt that Bill’s R&D minions didn’t consult your frantic angry keystrokes, you could always check out the Seecamp Fanboys’ Forum.
*The .32 cal is pretty decent if it has a rim and coming from a wheel or lever platform.

Also still waiting on my Marlin over under .17hmr / .50bmg so I can hunt rabbits and wooly mammoths at the same time.

Well, I'm reluctantly jaded about it because it would take them nothing to turn a .380 into a .32 as the bullets are the exact same length and can use the same magazines, just need a different follower and the feed lips pressed in a bit more, then it's a simple barrel change and done, you got a .32 LCP that has a third less the felt recoil than the .380.
You make no sense. The .32 has little recoil because it has such low energy and because of this, ammo manufacturers have not bothered to develop .32ACP cartridges with high terminal performance bullets.
The .380 has been improved to a more than marginal defense load. The .22 Mag would be a much better option than the .32 for defensive purposes (having more foot pounds of energy than the old .38S&W). Ruger is much more likely to add the .22 Mag to this line than the .32 auto.

Now, if I type the above response on a Ruger letterhead and email it to you, will you be happy?

Maybe Ruger divides its customer requests into folders called reasonable and whackos - only responding to the former. Try sending an email asking for a .22 Mag and see if Ruger responds

PS- You seem to have the conversion all worked out. Build your own
PPS- When you are finished, let's compare your .32 with their .380 and .22 in ballistic gel

Right! I don’t know much about the ballistics of 32 ACP but I’ve read enough to know they are abysmal. I wonder what these poor bastards in tech support think when they see an email asking for more shit in 32 ACP lol.

The problem with the .32 is factory loads are way underpowered. You reload some hot loads then it is a whole different ballgame. I have shot loaded rounds equal to these defense loads in a .32 with a heavier recoil spring. I wouldn’t worry much about penetration...

Beretta, Astra, Bersa and other companies have made plenty of .32s.
They are a viable choice in Mexico and other countries that ban the civilian possession of firearms chambered for "military" cartridges. We are not at this point yet and hopefully will never be. Why handicap yourself if you don't have to? Use the most power that you can comfortably handle.
And maybe that is a .32?

You're mad at Ruger for not producing a pos .32 that only you would buy, after sending them an email . . .
If you are not being sarcastic, you are dead to me! DEAD TO ME !!!!!
HAAAHHAHAHAHAHAAA
I'd buy one. Just because. And who is this 44marty that is dead to him, anyway? [smile]

You make no sense. The .32 has little recoil because it has such low energy and because of this, ammo manufacturers have not bothered to develop .32ACP cartridges with high terminal performance bullets.
The .380 has been improved to a more than marginal defense load. The .22 Mag would be a much better option than the .32 for defensive purposes (having more foot pounds of energy than the old .38S&W). Ruger is much more likely to add the .22 Mag to this line than the .32 auto.

Now, if I type the above response on a Ruger letterhead and email it to you, will you be happy?

Maybe Ruger divides its customer requests into folders called reasonable and whackos - only responding to the former. Try sending an email asking for a .22 Mag and see if Ruger responds

PS- You seem to have the conversion all worked out. Build your own
PPS- When you are finished, let's compare your .32 with their .380 and .22 in ballistic gel
I won't disagree that .22 Magnum with the Speer Gold Dot ammo wouldn't be better, it would, but I'm not interested in a .22 Mag revolver and a subcompact pistol in .22 Mag sounds like a jam-o-matic.

If there's anything Ruger might put .22 Mag in, it's their new 57, and that would probably sell better than the 5.7x28 because .22 mag ammo is $12 a box.

Manufacturer's haven't developed any .32's because they realize that low information types want the bigger bullet, not realizing there is a point of diminishing returns. While .380 has improved greatly the past 10 years, it's still not ideal and for the intended use in guns the size of the LCP, I'd argue that just because there is better hollow point ammo available for .380 today doesn't make it great because a majority of that ammo fails to penetrate after expansion. The best ammo for both the .380 and .32 is the solid copper stuff that Lehigh makes. The ammo cost will be the same, actually slightly less for .32 if you know where to buy it, the penetration will be sufficient to hit vitals in humans from any angle with either, the difference will be one shoots a bullet that's 1mm larger in diameter and has 30% more recoil.

To me, that's not a good trade off, not in the LCP.

And maybe that is a .32?
In the LCP, yes... at least I think. See, I like the LCP, I just can't do the recoil of .380 in it, at least not for more than 20 rounds and that limits my ability to practice with it. There's the potential that it could be the same story with the .32 as well, but if that's the case, then the LCP is just not for me as I refuse to go any lower in caliber than that.

I don't have a .32 LCP to shoot, so I can't say, but I can make an educated assumption that the smaller bullet will give me more time to practice shooting before my hand starts shaking like Michael J Fox after a double espresso.

In the LCP, yes... at least I think. See, I like the LCP, I just can't do the recoil of .380 in it, at least not for more than 20 rounds and that limits my ability to practice with it. There's the potential that it could be the same story with the .32 as well, but if that's the case, then the LCP is just not for me as I refuse to go any lower in caliber than that.

I don't have a .32 LCP to shoot, so I can't say, but I can make an educated assumption that the smaller bullet will give me more time to practice shooting before my hand starts shaking like Michael J Fox after a double espresso.
Have you tried other pistols. Some pistols just fit so poorly it causes diacomfort. Anything with a small grip for me is harder to shoot and recoil engery hits differently.

Back
Top Bottom