• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I underestimated the awesomeness of salad

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Growing up, I hated salad. I basically considered salad as rabbit food and eschewed it whenever I could. If I had to eat salad, I would kill it with salt and pepper.

About two years ago, I had a very good Caesar salad at the Capitol Grille in Providence. The lettuce didn't taste like dirt. The dressing didn't feel like semi-liquid obesity. The croutons weren't bricks. The salad even looked good. Didn't make me embrace the salad but it opened my mind. Few months ago, I made my own Caesar salad - made the dressing, made the croutons, and got some good romaine lettuce. And now I like salad.

Salad:

*Is easy to make
*Goes good before steak or burgers
*Doesn't make you fat unlike fries
*Doesn't require any actual cooking besides heating up the stale bread into croutons
*Is satisfying but not filling to the point where you don't want to eat the main course

Salad: its not just for rabbits or communists.

Last edited:

84ta406

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Like you I always hated salads. Then I had a good Caesar salad as well and have been hooked since. I don't mind tossing in some grilled chicken or steak and making it the main course either.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
we eat a lot of salads. We eat all organic vegetables. And yes, I can taste the difference. The trick is you need to get that chemical taste of all the pesticides etc they spray on non-organic out of your system.

Basic salad for us consists of romaine lettuce (soaked and rinsed and spun dry), tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms for me, avocado, olive oil salt and pepper for me. He likes vinegar salt and pepper. Then we add meat - baked/grilled chicken. we never have leftover steak but we will toss a hamburger on top. sometimes cheese as well but if we have avocado, usually not cheese. HUGE bowl of the greens. Sometimes we mix romaine and baby spinach. Lots of potassium.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Don't care for Caesar salad, but I have a garden salad pretty much every dinner. Sometimes it is dinner with protein added. I make my own balsamic vinaigrette dressing. That makes a huge difference IMO. Both for how it tastes and what's in it. The amount of crap that's in most bottles dressings is nuts.

It's funny, to me at least, how my sister never seems to want salad with holiday dinners. But almost every time there is one it's either all eaten, or close to it.

Only "negative" for me is how much veggies I go through in a week for salad alone. It's just me most of the time too.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I'm kinda like the OP but I grew into salads slowly over my adult life.

The local Texas Roadhouse in Hadley makes an AWESOME Caesar salad, especially when the Romaine is fresh. My son and I like to go there on Sundays and get their 8 oz sirloin steak special. I fill up on the Caesar and vegies, saving the steak to take home.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Growing up, I hated salad. I basically considered salad as rabbit food and eschewed it whenever I could. If I had to eat salad, I would kill it with salt and pepper.

About two years ago, I had a very good Caesar salad at the Capitol Grille in Providence. The lettuce didn't taste like dirt. The dressing didn't feel like semi-liquid obesity. The croutons weren't bricks. The salad even looked good. Didn't make me embrace the salad but it opened my mind. Few months ago, I made my own Caesar salad - made the dressing, made the croutons, and got some good romaine lettuce. And now I like salad.

Salad:

*Is easy to make
*Goes good before steak or burgers
*Doesn't make you fat unlike fries
*Doesn't require any actual cooking besides heating up the stale bread into croutons
*Is satisfying but not filling to the point where you don't want to eat the main course

Salad: its not just for rabbits or communists.
You might want to check the "doesnt make you fat" all the dressing they put on salads is horrible. Have you ever wondered why a salad has more calories than a bacon cheese burger?

Salads are great ... without dressing. Oil and vinegar.

And Caesar salad is not a salad, it is some BS, probably invented to rip people off by selling them lettuce with croutons and dressing.

I love salads, I have gone days eating only salad, but I mix a lot of stuff. Chicken, eggs, carrots, (some) lettuce, corn, beets ... I turn them into a meal. You should try adding all that stuff to the Caesar salad, you will like it.

Last edited:

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
You might be able to grill vegetables but you can't BBQ a salad. Don't chickens and cows eat vegetables ?

A salad big enough to fill me up is gonna take a lot of eating and chewing, it's like aerobic exercise.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We make meals out of salads. Usually grilled or baked chicken cut up on it, but ground beef or eggs can also work. So we have mixed greens (no lettuce) , avocado, cukes, dried cranberries (easy on these as they are a large carb dose) , shredded carrots, beets, maybe some nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. And the chicken of course.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cardini's Ceasar Salad Dressing. 😍 Not too healthy at all but tastes awesome.
The best way to stomach the healthy dressings is to supplement with crumbled gorgonzola/feta/blue whatever else.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 1970s and early 80s, I used to love the Hilltop Steakhouse salad that they pretty much served to you whether you wanted it or not. The thing was in a bowl almost a foot across (or so it seemed), and was a "couple, two, tree" inches deep. It was an entire meal in itself.

You can't buy the Hilltop dressing anymore so I try to replicate the Hilltop salad by using Ken's Steak House Italian dressing. The consistency is different, but the flavor is very similar. It was a pretty basic salad. Iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, the purple onions, shredded carrots, tomato wedges, and that dressing!

On one of my last trips to the Hilltop, they no longer gave out salads automatically. I ordered one with my meal, and they served me this skinflint of a salad (thank you, DrGrant) that was about the size of a cereal bowl, and it had weird lettuce and cherry tomatoes. I actually said to the waitress "What the heck happened to the salads from the 1970s and 80s?"

Our steaks sucked that night and I think that was our last trip to the Hilltop.

Last edited:

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For all you caesar salad lovers that also need some meat and like to grill, grill your romaine. I’m serious. Right after you light it and it’s rip roaring hot, throw some of your romaine ribs on there. Just a few seconds to pick up some char and make sure it’s dry or it’s going to steam. It adds some depth to a typically (IMHO) bland salad. Also, if you’re not using anchovies in you caesar dressing, you’re doing it wrong.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Salads with mixed greens and other chopped up vegetables are awesome and filled with nutrients however most people put too many croutons, cheese and the most fattening dressings on it and they wonder why they still have that gut

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, what's your crouton recipe and method to make them?
*Buy baguette
*Let baguette sit on the counter for a week
*Chop up baguette into bite-sized pieces
*Chop up x2, x3 garlic cloves
*Heat up oil in pan
*Add garlic to pan, cook until browned
*Remove garlic
*Add butter in with garlicky oil
*Cook croutons in oil + butter for long enough to sort of lightly toast them

Also can add salt, pepper, or paprika to the croutons but the last time I made some was at 9pm and I didn't want to be bothered.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I retched a little at the suggestion of anchovies. 🤮

I fill up on the Caesar and vegies, saving the steak to take home.
The hell is wrong with you? Leave a perfectly good steak to cool and bring home instead of ripping into it like a man? Sacrilegious action if I’ve ever read one.

Top Bottom