I thought primer prices were retarded; hold my beer...

allen-1

NES Member
1613411294483.png

Yeah, 355 dollars for a pound of powder. NFW.

On a very related note, I stopped in Savannah's Bass Pro this morning to pick up a pair of Frogg Toggs pants, and swung through their guns/ammo section.

They DO have pistols back in stock.

They DON'T have ammo. There was a rolling cart behind the counter with what they have in pistol caliber ammo. About 20 boxes of 22LR snakeshot, a couple boxes of something else - that's the total of pistol caliber ammo available. On the aisle there were a couple boxes of .338 lapua and a couple boxes of steel turkey loads. That's it.

No primers except for blackpowder.
No powder.
No brass.

EDITED to fix "elated" to "related". Nothing elated about my time in Bass Pro.

Last edited:
$350 might be nothing for the people that live hours away from any store or someone that may need to hunt for food.

But, It also wouldn't take much for a few Leftist heavyweight billionaires to buy ALL of the supplies right now and in the foreseeable future no matter what it cost , and let it all rot in a warehouse somewhere .

Yeah, 355 dollars for a pound of powder.
file-1027x560.jpg

Thats over a nickle per grain. I know I load 25 grains of Varget for 223. If R15 is similar, thats $1.27 per round, just for the powder. (if my math is right)

Thats over a nickle per grain. I know I load 25 grains of Varget for 223. If R15 is similar, thats $1.27 per round, just for the powder. (if my math is right)

That's an interesting way to look at it. Loading 50 BMG would cost me over $10 in powder PER ROUND (not that this powder is appropriate for it, simply looking at the per-grain cost)

My bet is these are bogus bid drives? You can still find ammo for less a eound than juzt the powder at $300 lb.
Thats juzt stupid. I might go buy some 68 gn match 223 for 80 cents per round to save on my powder supply

Gunbroker is a cesspool. And some ads for powder here on NES are absurd. You can buy it from the usual suspects for normal prices.
Yep. It is definitely frustrating seeing some of these sellers with 10k small pistol primers that were definitely just purchased recently (based on the new Federal brand packaging). Now trying to sell for $175 per 1k....
And $75 per pound for powder?? JFC

Yep. It is definitely frustrating seeing some of these sellers with 10k small pistol primers that were definitely just purchased recently (based on the new Federal brand packaging). Now trying to sell for $175 per 1k....
I get supply/demand etc. Powder is not difficult to get but it's certainly not as easy as it used to be. There are people on NES selling powder for double the price (or more) and somebody who doesn't know better or is new to the game might buy it.

No doubt, most of the primers and powder aren't being shipped Hazmat. I bought my first 500 primers on GB just to get started reloading back in December and sure enough, just shipped UPS ground...no Hazmat, and from an FFL out west, no less. I wouldn't want to risk that, easy way to get yourself a felony.

My bet is these are bogus bid drives? You can still find ammo for less a eound than juzt the powder at $300 lb.
Thats juzt stupid. I might go buy some 68 gn match 223 for 80 cents per round to save on my powder supply
That was my first thought, shill bidding. Seller feedback has a low enough count that it would not be difficult to create or pad.

However, I am surprised that BunGroker has $300 per lb powder listed before NES classifieds did.

Gun-STROKER 👍 for every product for sale there's a fool buyer with more money that all of us waiting to desperately spend...

My inventory says I have 15# of RL15 , dam I could pay 2.5 month's worth of mortgage payments on my house if I sold all my RL15 on GB , but NOPE it's staying right where is.

there selling it to the people that cant/wont/dont know how to get it themselves.
local shop here is getting $10/100 for primers
says he can not get enough in fast enough and is not getting stuck with over priced inventory like he did after sandy hook

Rant incoming...

I've been on record in the past raging about gun owners trying to shamelessly profiteer off fellow gun owners. I get all sorts of grief...free market blah blah blah. Now we have outright profiteering going on. Primers that people bought for $30 being sold for $150, $200, $300.

This is how we treat fellow gun owners in a tough bind? People in the trenches with us fighting the tyranny of firearm laws. As soon as there's a glitch we try to make a few bucks off them. I shake my head in disgust, free market or not. This is the same as jerk offs selling water and generators for sky high money after a hurricane. It turns my stomach.

Last edited:
Rant incoming...

I've been on record in the past raging about gun owners trying to shamelessly profiteer off fellow gun owners. I get all sorts of grief...free market blah blah blah. Now we have outright profiteering going on. Primers that people bought for $30 being sold for $150, $200, $300.

This is how we treat fellow gun owners in a tough bind? People in the trenches with us fighting the tyranny of firearm laws. As soon as there's a glitch we try to make a few bucks off them. I shake my head in disgust, free market or not. This is the same as jerk offs selling water and generators for sky high money after a hurricane. It turns my stomach.
There are people living paycheck-to-paycheck for whom an extra couple of hundred bucks makes a huge difference. I know a few on here in that position that have sold stuff at exorbitant prices, and the buyers are willing to pay it. They need the money, and are cashing in on being prepared while others weren't. It's much easier to help "fellow gun owners" when you can pay the rent.

Rant incoming...

Yeah except that nobody is going to die or fail to escape the hurricane by not getting primers or whatever. Even with the current shit market in play, I can't see the morality play
here. Who gets to define the difference between what should be "fair market price" and "profiteering? "

I also don't see the people selling stuff at that rate as per se "fellow shooters" at that kind of rape level. They're just market opportunists, goaded into existence by all these get rich quick TV shows etc. "Flipper Culture". I think as gun enthusiasts we make the mistake of thinking that everyone that owns guns, sells them or whatever is trying to be your buddy or have your best interests at heart. Etc. They don't. It's business. Not to mention a huge # of gun owners don't give a shit about RKBA or preserving it, etc. It's a sad, but true reality on the ground. Flippers dont even shoot guns that much to begin with. If at all, in some cases. Most of these people are not your friends, they add no value, etc, like at least some
gun shops and dealers do. Ranting about them will not make them go away. Refusing to buy shit from them certainly does, though. [laugh]

ETA: Also, I think its flawed to take shit prices personally. Nobody is FORCING you to pay the price! just opt out! [laugh] That's the most powerful thing you can do in a free market, is not buy something, believe it or not.

The fact remains though, to some degree, these prices wouldn't get retarded if there weren't retards willing to pay that..... there is a silver lining to this cloud, though, too.... and that is, that people selling stuff at shit prices are pillaging the wallets/bank accounts of impatient morons willing to pay too much for shit. Eventually this model is not sustainable and will destroy the resources of the arm flapping retarded types. The sooner their wallets are drained the sooner those idiots are now not a part of the market anymore... and the sooner that prices will recede to something that isn't complete shit. Prices only can drop when enough people opt out of the market or supply rises dramatically enough to at least meet and exceed demand. If the worst flippers are sucking more cash out of the dumbest part of the market at a higher rate of speed, that means things might return to normal, faster. I don't lose any sleep at night knowing a flipper fled someone who didn't do their homework, a gallon of Cosby's barbecue sauce. Like we told the newbs to watch out for that kind of thing. But some literally do not
care, they run around flapping their arms going "OBERYEDOFDIDEN GUNNA BAN EVERWERYEDTHING!" can't reason with them at that point. So let them pay $200 for a box of
primers. They richly deserve that $200 box of primers. [laugh]

Someone asks me what I would tell some new guy...... sometimes you need to give them tough love.

"Listen, sorry you got to the party late, but now you get to go through the rite of suffering like myself and everyone else has at least once before, before they learn, that is. Buy enough ammo to get by and have fun waiting things out. I might be able to help you score a few boxes here and there and ill let you know, but that's about all I can do. Learn how to dry fire. Running around overpaying for stuff isn't helping. Let the other rubes do that stuff. In the meantime you can keep your eyes peeled for stuff that enters the market at non shit prices, you will see it here and there, and grab it if you can, but don't kill yourself doing it. "

I also write this as a guy who has sent like at least two fairly large ammo care packages to friends that just got into guns different states so that they would have something to
shoot. Selling them stuff at prices below market, frankly. If you want to help out fellow gun owners (that you think are worthy of helping out) you have to do it in a direct action sort of sense.

Last edited:
Nobody is FORCING you to pay the price! just opt out! [laugh] That's the most powerful thing you can do in a free market, is not buy something, believe it or not.
Lots of folks on NES are doing exactly that with the $300 Scherer Glock longsticks - that ad has been bumped for over 5 months now with no takers, but it's no reason to dislike the prospective seller who is testing the market.

Back
Top Bottom