• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I think I need a new pen....

I favor the Tuff-writer, which comes with a Fisher Space Pen refill (writes everywhere).

I also like the name of the Tuff-Writer since it doesn't sound like the main reason you bought was to hurt someone. It just happens to be ruggedly built.

Many of the tacticool pens are really expensive, and if you use a pen frequently the screw caps can be a PITA. The Benchmade and Tuffwriter I've handled were solidly built and wrote well but were a tad heavy for breast pocket carry. Check out the Uzi pens; they seem to be built well and are cheaper.

if your looking for a cheap "tactical" pen.....look into the metal body sharpies........i think they cost less than $5

Mil your own pen :)

50caliberwith300weather.jpg

Another low cost option is a regular silver or matte black Fisher Space Pen. They run about $15 on ebay and are made of strong aluminum.

I have one of the Benchmade pens and I really like it. As bigbo mentioned, it's on the heavy side, but I actually prefer that.

I have one of the Hinderer modular pens/kubatons. It was really expensive, but it's bad-assed. Hinderer also makes less expensive, non-modular bad-ass pens.

Does anyone have experience getting any grief from TSA over a 'tactical' pen.

I'd hate to have one taken at the airport. They're too pricey for that.

Good point, as I was thinking the same thing after thinking about this topic. I'm pretty certain that you would be better off trying to use a regular Bic pen in a tactical way, rather than risk confiscation to try to get one of these on board. I'm sure some of the less tacticool ones might make it, but no way that black double ended one would make it.

Good point, as I was thinking the same thing after thinking about this topic. I'm pretty certain that you would be better off trying to use a regular Bic pen in a tactical way, rather than risk confiscation to try to get one of these on board. I'm sure some of the less tacticool ones might make it, but no way that black double ended one would make it.

...especially one with 'Smith & Wesson' on the pocket clip.[smile]

Kubatons are on the list of specifically prohibited questions, you probably would have some trouble getting it through.

OTOH, I've never had an issue getting a flashlight through. I usually fly with either my SureFire G2 or A2.

Back
Top Bottom