I think I avoided a sting today

Stopped at a flea market in Maine today. I saw a gentleman at a table with only two items for sale. A used recurve bow and a .22 caliber Luger copy. I was checking out the gun when I noticed a well dressed gentleman in a pink shirt with a tie standing very close and listening to my conversation. He was pretending to be interested in the shitty old bow. The guy selling the gun told me that he only wanted $200 for it. He just "needed money fast". I politely informed him that as much of a deal as it was, it was a 10 year felony for me to buy it as a Mass resident. I then left. I came back an hour later, and Mr. Pink shirt and tie was still hanging out 10 feet away, drinking a coffee and looking around. I suspect I avoided some sort of sting.

Stopped at a flea market in Maine today. I saw a gentleman at a table with only two items for sale. A used recurve bow and a .22 caliber Luger copy. I was checking out the gun when I noticed a well dressed gentleman in a pink shirt with a tie standing very close and listening to my conversation. He was pretending to be interested in the shitty old bow. The guy selling the gun told me that he only wanted $200 for it. He just "needed money fast". I politely informed him that as much of a deal as it was, it was a 10 year felony for me to buy it as a Mass resident. I then left. I came back an hour later, and Mr. Pink shirt and tie was still hanging out 10 feet away, drinking a coffee and looking around. I suspect I avoided some sort of sting.

Anyone saying I need money fast by my gun cheap is one to walk away from. Smart move

Entrapment.png

dont worry, the well dressed guy in the pink shirt is probably into a different kind of pistol.

It is possible it was a sting but also it could not have been a sting by the police. It could have been Bloomberg's group coming up to ME and video taping how easy it is to sell a gun to an out of stater at a flea market. Once they plaster the video every where in the news it would help them push their ME background checks. If it was a sting it would most likely be that. It is too close to entrapment for the police to use.

i wonder what people think of the ads i post then...

Im guessing on the NES site and being a member there's an assumption it will be on the up an up. However at a flea market and not asking if the guy your selling to is a resident etc, is just not a good idea at all. That being said if you're looking to sell, im always looking for a good buy :)

This was a sting:

2002 very large gun show in western NYS:

I was looking at a vendor's table and I notice a shiny new AK in an open box. It had the select fire switch on it, plain as day.

Me: Is that a full auto selector switch on this AK?
Vendor (who looked like a normal overweight guy): YES! Do you wanna buy it?
Me: No thanks.
Vendor: Unhappy look on his face.

Machine guns are illegal in NYS. (Everything is illegal in NYS)

Last edited:
i wonder what people think of the ads i post then...

Anyone whose been here on NES for any measurable length of time knows your a bit loco(in a good way), so they probably figured it was just Atilla being Atilla.

All grammatical, spelling, and informational errors are solely the fault of Tapatalk and Autocorrect. Pay no attention to the fat fingers mashing on the keyboard behind the curtain.

This couldnt have been a law enforcement sting to nab out of state buyers. If so theyd have to have a barrel of pistols because theyd sell a pile to legal in state buyers before an out of stater came along.

This couldnt have been a law enforcement sting to nab out of state buyers. If so theyd have to have a barrel of pistols because theyd sell a pile to legal in state buyers before an out of stater came along.

That, and the problem with this nostrum of a sting is that the federal law uses the word "knowingly" in it in a lot of places. It would make more sense to have the sting-er be the buyer, then get the sting-er person to say something stupid like "Hey I'm from MA can I still buy your handgun?" etc, etc, ad nauseam.

This case just sounds like some guy wanting to sell some piece of shit handgun real quick so he can get some cash. [laugh]

-Mike

This was a sting:

2002 very large gun show in western NYS:

I was looking at a vendor's table and I notice a shiny new AK in an open box. It had the select fire switch on it, plain as day.

Me: Is that a full auto selector switch on this AK?
Vendor (who looked like a normal overweight guy): YES! Do you wanna buy it?
Me: No thanks.
Vendor: Unhappy look on his face.

Machine guns are illegal in NYS. (Everything is illegal in NYS)

Doesn't matter if the detent is there what matters if the parts are there inside it to make it do it's thing. Did it have the third pin or not? (FA AKs have an extra pin, if I remember correctly, that holds the FA junk in place inside the gun. )

Lots of semiautomatic rifles have an FA detent on the selector but that doesn't mean it actually does anything. (For example, I've seen a ton of CETMEs with this third position, but the third position functionally does nothing. )

-Mike

Was this in the Belfast area?

Doesn't matter if the detent is there what matters if the parts are there inside it to make it do it's thing. Did it have the third pin or not? (FA AKs have an extra pin, if I remember correctly, that holds the FA junk in place inside the gun. )

Lots of semiautomatic rifles have an FA detent on the selector but that doesn't mean it actually does anything. (For example, I've seen a ton of CETMEs with this third position, but the third position functionally does nothing. )

-Mike

The FAL is the same. If using an original full auto lower for a build, the selector switch can still be swung forward to FA, but on an FAL the upper is the actual "gun", and cannot go full-giggity without the original upper.

The FAL is the same. If using an original full auto lower for a build, the selector switch can still be swung forward to FA, but on an FAL the upper is the actual "gun", and cannot go full-giggity without the original upper.

You're right, now that I think of it, I've seen a lot of FALs with that kind of selector, too.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom