I there a way to check how many FA10's

I have them somewhere. I think I keep them with my C+R stuff I just thought if there was a quick way a phone call or whatever that would be easier.

You could try going to your local PD and nicely ask if they could run an FS1 check on you. This will list all firearms registered to you.

Why do you care?

Because your basically breaking the "law" and could lose your license over it. (Edited to add: If he's talking about three sold/traded, which I think he is)

I've also wondered this as I've done three as well. I'm not 100% positive if it's been a year or longer between those three. My problem is my copy of the FA10 didn't copy the date area very well so I have a good idea when it happened, but am not positive.

Also, is it three within an years timeframe or is it three in a particular year?

Because your basically breaking the "law" and could lose your license over it. (Edited to add: If he's talking about three sold/traded, which I think he is)
OK. Wasn't bustin' him; just curious.
I've also wondered this as I've done three as well. I'm not 100% positive if it's been a year or longer between those three. My problem is my copy of the FA10 didn't copy the date area very well so I have a good idea when it happened, but am not positive.

Also, is it three within an years timeframe or is it three in a particular year?
4 per calendar year.

p.s. The GOAL Law Chart page is your friend.

The limit is FOUR not three, sales in a calendar year. Thus the "counter" will reset when we roll over to 2009.

-Mike

The limit is FOUR not three, sales in a calendar year. Thus the "counter" will reset when we roll over to 2009.

-Mike

Mike,

What is Massachusetts' definition of "Calendar Year"?

Here's a hypothetical scenario:
Let's say I sold a firearm in Oct 2008, and Nov 2008 then I sell another in Jan 2009 and Feb 2009. For this scenario, I do not have any FFLs (01 or 03) and the sales are considered to have occurred between 2 private citizens. Can I sell another in Mar 2009?

I believe I cannot sell another as a private citizen until one year from the date of the sale in Oct 2008 plus 1 day. That is when the "calendar year" ends for this scenario.

Thoughts?

Richard

Last edited:
Mike,

What is Massachusetts' definition of "Calendar Year"?

What I meant by calendar year is rollover always occurs on Jan 1 of the next year. That's the determining factor, not when you last did a sale.

EG, if you only used up 3 sales in 2008, and the date rolls over to 2009, you are now "reset" to 4 sales allowed for the duration of 2009. Nothing carries
over.

-Mike

Rich, luckily MA has yet to "redefine" what a "Calendar year" is, so it still runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31. [thinking]

Len,

I forget if MA stated the calendar year begins on January 1st. in the MGLs. If they didn't set the Jan 1st to Dec 31st standard, then a prosecutor could use my scenario’s definition.[frown]

Richard

Len,

I forget if MA stated the calendar year begins on January 1st. in the MGLs. If they didn't set the Jan 1st to Dec 31st standard, then a prosecutor could use my scenario’s definition.[frown]

Richard

CALENDAR year means the year on the top of the CALENDAR. Right now it's 2008. On January first, it'll be 2009.

CALENDAR year means the year on the top of the CALENDAR. Right now it's 2008. On January first, it'll be 2009.

Jar,

But does the MGLs agree with that definition. That was the original question I posed. After all some prosecutors are currently implying that unless a condition is steted in the MGL as legal, it is be illegal.

My contention is that unless it is defined, it is open to opinion.

Richard

It's per calendar year.

Some things you just need to not worry about, otherwise you'll simply give yourself hypertension. There's more than enough in MGLs regarding gun owners to be paranoid about without worrying about the definition of a calendar year.

While I agree in principle that the definition of calendar year shouldn't be something to worry about, in practice we live in a state that defines handguns as "firearms" to differentiate from rifles & shotguns [thinking], and calls an empty 22LR case "ammunition".

That might be why I'm a paranoid hypertensive....

[wink]

No, I would agree with "not even close". Mine wasn't.

I'm not sure I trust that system to return whether someone has an LTC correctly, either. Most of the state has gone to the computer to issue LTCs, but not all of the state. With the record keeping issues the CHSB has had for years, I have my doubts whether manually issued LTC will be entered into the state system correctly.

FS1 check? Giving a list of all firearms? That smells like BS.

FS1 is the code in the leaps/ncic computer to run a check on all firearms listed to a particular individual. This information in theory is based upon FA-10's.

The problem is that the information is severely lacking.

I show having four firearms listed to me. It is waaaaayy off. Three of the four listed have long been traded.

That's basically what I mean... The FA-10 database is a giant clusterf***... and for some reason I doubt you only have one gun.

Back
Top Bottom