I remember

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A pastor friend of mine's brother was on one of the planes that hit the tower. I'll never forget the day this happened and that afternoon when I found out my friend's brother was on one of the planes. We had long deep conversations about what had happened that day. My friend changed that day and not necessarily for the good. He is out of the ministry now, I really think due to what he has gone through. I've talked to him from time to time and even these many years later, he dreams he is sitting in the seat next to his brother and feels the attending horrors his brother must've felt.

Brucewillis4316

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flew out of BOS just three days prior to 9/11. It could have easily been my plane. Stuck in San Diego at a conference with a very scared and concerned family at home. I will not forget.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pastor friend of mine's brother was on one of the planes that hit the tower. I'll never forget the day this happened and that afternoon when I found out my friend's brother was on one of the planes. We had long deep conversations about what had happened that day. My friend changed that day and not necessarily for the good. He is out of the ministry now, I really think due to what he has gone through. I've talked to him from time to time and even these many years later, he dreams he is sitting in the seat next to his brother and feels the attending horrors his brother must've felt.
FWIW, my wife's cousin was unavoidably late to work that day,
and missed being in one of the towers.

The impact on him was that 45 months later
he was ordained a deacon in his church.
We attended the ceremony and reception.

It doesn't deny your friend's pain,
but consider that maybe Butchie picked up the load
that your friend could bear no longer.

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I post this every year.

18 years ago, I was on an 8:30 call with a tech support team at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. We were trying to track down an issue with a new display model on their legacy system.

At 8:46, the line went dead.

Someone happened to be in the café across the hall from the office when the first reports started rolling in.

I called my fiance (Wife and I were not yet married) then gathered in the café along with most of our company and watched the news pour in.

I guess my take away is that life changes every instant. Some are inconsequential, some monumental, and you have no say which sort of change you will encounter at any given moment.

Take time for the important things. Hugs from your kids, holding hands with a loved one by a fire, shared laughs with friends, your favorite pet lounging on your lap. Watching the sun rise or set over the lake, the mountains, the ocean. Seek wonder in the most mundane moments.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the novel "The Sheltering Sky" by Paul Bowles

"Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

Top Bottom