1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

I remember

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tbk5, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Apcsox

Apcsox

2nd period sophomore year at highschool, culinary..... we heard some utterances about it, but no tv in there so we carried on our day.... walking in to 3rd period, biology, people glued staring at the tv........ that exact second I sat down and little 15 year old me was attempting to comprehend what was going on..... the second plane hit........ and we watched in silence the entire class, watching those towers burn, watching people jumping to their deaths..... 3rd period ended.... walking out of the room.... watched tower 2 fall
    I still remember every detail like it was yesterday

2. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

Bump

3. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

What I'm really afraid of is the true believer liberals.

For me I was driving into work. Work stopped, the president gave hourly updates. By noon they sent us home to take care of our families. That was a classy place. My wife's boss wouldn't let her leave. I walked in and brought her home. I then went out and filled up every gas can I had.

4. jbert27

jbert27 NES Member

Yea I remember, my colleague and I were booked on the AA and United flights to the west coast to support proposal support for a government defense program. We were told to stand down on the Thursday before to support a meeting... WTF!
    Yes, life has been different since then. Had an opportunity to visit a customer in Clifton, NJ. a week after, my program manager colleague and friend wanted to go to scene to check it out. I'll never forget the sights, the smells, and the deep feelings that we experienced. I don't regret going there knowing that I was booked to fly on the AA bird, which I had been regularly flying for weeks. It was my flight to the west coast, away from the stupidity of the daily grind of the home office.

Holy shit its been 15 years, it is hard to imagine. That's all for now, this is a difficult topic for me.

5. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

I just got home from work, sitting in my driveway and read this entire thread.

I was at the Grand Canyon with my brother and father, took a few days for a rare three-guys trip. Dad lives in Florida, bro in Chicago, I lived in AZ. They came back from breakfast after the first plane hit, woke me in time for the second.

We sat there, hours and hundreds of miles away from home, in shock. My brother knew several people there from college, I had been to the towers countless times since my father commuted thru there to his Battery Park office.

We drove home to Phoenix, trying to figure out how to get them home to their families. After 2 days my brother was going to buy a car, drive home, and sell it, when the planes finally started flying again. He had about 15 flight reservations. Dad waited a day.

I hugged my wife (now ex) and realized how minor our problems were. Our marriage lasted a few more years, but ended anyway.

I'll never forget that day, never forgive those, whoever, wherever they are, that allowed it to happen. One day, if there's a God, they'll be judged. I wouldn't mind being there that day to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  6. crazymjb

crazymjb

Until you meet a lot of muslims from generations and generations of muslims before them who are your best friends and among the best people you've ever met.

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

1 person likes this.
  7. tbk5

tbk5

Even with nothing but 24x7 weather news, I can't forget.

This year, I may have lost another friend to the attack. A friend from high school suddenly came down with an aggressive multiple myeloma. He was caught in the big dust cloud on September 11 and said he always felt a little bit shitty after that -- can't help but wonder if it was related.

8. jpk

jpk

NEVER forget

9. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Our condolences on the loss of your friend. Whether it was connected or not, it's still difficult to lose someone.

10. kalash

kalash

Kids that weren't born on that day are about to get their driver's permits. Think about that.

11. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

God Bless America!

12. bdb

bdb NES Member

I remember where I was when I heard. Sitting in a window seat at 30,000ft on an east coast west coast flight. My wife (then girlfriend) also on a different flight from Florida to San Francisco. The captain came on the speaker and said there had been multiple terrorist attacks in the US and all flights were being grounded. A surreal quiet came over the plane and then he came back on the air a minute later and announced stewardesses prepare for landing. We were still at cruising altitude. A few minutes later we were on the ground in El Paso Texas. We got off the plane and into the terminal before the second tower come down which we watched live. I can't even describe the emotions of the hundreds of people watching it on the airport bar TV.

A day I will never forget. I worked in Manhattan from 97-2000 for Bank of America and worked in one of the towers on the 51st floor fairly often. I had plenty of meals and after work drinks up at Windows On The World and was good friends with one of the chefs there. One of my coworkers was on the 51st floor when the first plane hit and made it out.

As I sit at my desk at work I am looking at a photo my wife (a photographer) took of the twin towers from the Brooklyn bridge back in 2000.

R.I.P to all the victims.

13. Horrible

Horrible NES Member

This is the predominant action that has been taken since 9/11/01

14. Slotheadslim

Slotheadslim NES Member

On 9/11 I was driving into work without the radio on and I made a call to a vendor for my former wife's business. The person on the other end of the call stopped the conversation a few times and started to tell me what was happening. I made it into work 10 minutes later and every one was huddled around the TV. After a few minutes after the second tower came down I was out of there and got my 4 year old daughter from preschool. They had an activity for the kids to draw a picture of the biggest thing they knew. I was going through my storage area this weekend and I came across the picture. The biggest thing she knew was a picture of the twin towers coming down. The gravity of the day wasn't lost on a 4 year old.

Fast forward to today and my daughter started her 3rd year of college majoring in military history last week. She is a US Army ROTC cadet at the Paul Revere Battalion at MIT. She wants to be a helicopter pilot or serve in combat in some other capacity and will graduate as a second lieutenant. This summer she finished the Army Airborne school at Fort Benning and then traveled to Nepal with the Army. On her way to Nepal she stopped in the Middle East, Abu Dhabi. She told me they really harassed her and others in the Army going through the airport. While she is very open minded about people different from her she was very clear to tell me how much they hated us there even though we were there protecting them. It was an eye opening experience for her.

DarthRevan and oldguy68 like this.
  15. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  16. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

I'd like to share a conversation I had on 9/12. Was waiting for a class and a friend of mine who was an Israeli said the following to me: "I am sorry, you've been at war and didn't even know it". It always stuck with me. He meant it with genuine simpathy and sadness.

17. NeverMiss

NeverMiss

Yup. I remember. I had just gotten to work. A field service employee of ours called me and told me he was in NY and just saw the plane hit the tower. As pilots, we both wondered how the hell a pilot could hit on such a clear day.

My Dad's co-worker's wife was on the first plane. They found her wallet during the cleanup a couple of years later....

18. CapeTech

CapeTech

I was in 5th grade, they pulled all the kids out and lined us up in the hallway and told us what had happened. I remember not understanding why people would do that to us. I get it now, they're animals. I will never forget, and I will NEVER forgive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

19. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

I remember exactly where I was when it happened.
    I do not forgive and I will not forget.
    I try to remember that not all Muslims are terrorists, but it's hard when they don't speak out condemning the actions of the terrorists.
    Tonight I will lift a glass in memory of those who died this day in 2001, and hopefully numb the memory just a little bit for a little while.

fitzknny likes this.
  20. mibro

mibro NES Member

That's exactly what Benjamin Netanyahu said on the day: Netanyahu Says 9/11 Terror Attacks Good for Israel

We're inching closer to the truth year by year thanks to a few true patriots.

Saudi government allegedly funded a ‘dry run’ for 9/11.......New York Post, 9/9/17

The 28 Pages

21. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Anger isn't a strong enough word.
    We had two friends on those planes.
    Rip Carol and Dave.
    May God hold you close.

22. tbk5

tbk5

:emoji_flag_us:

Attached Files:

cockpitbob and silversquirrel like this.
  23. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

I was teaching a class in financial risk management (derivatives) at a bank in Germany. One minute after I sent the group out for their afternoon coffee break, two guys came running into the classroom saying that a plane just flew into the World Trade Center. The coffee break was extended for about an hour while we watched. Then I spoke to the class: "There is nothing anyone of us here can do about this, so how about we go back to work?"

Was stuck in Europe teaching for another two weeks, teaching in Germany and France. When I flew back into Boston, everything was normal except the size of the cops' guns. Presented my parking ticket in the garage - they said since I arrived before 9/11 my parking was free. They had quarantined the garage looking for the terrorists' car and nobody was allowed to leave for several days, hence they couldn't in good conscience charge for the parking.

My office at the time was on Broadway, across the street and one block south of the WTC. I've never been back.

cockpitbob likes this.
  24. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Another year slips by.

Be strong my brothers!

25. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

They closed all federal buildings within hours. I worked at a Silicon Valley startup at the time. One of my guys was a Chinese immigrant who took the morming off to get sworn in as a US citizen[thumbsup] at the Federal building in San Fran. Around noon he showed up at work. I assumed he didn't get sworn in and was still an immigrant, but nope, he was a newly minted U.S. citizen. They must have closed the building right after he left. He had no idea what was going on until I told him.

I'm certain he'll always remember the day he became a citizen.

ETA, even 18 years ago that area was a real mix of nationalities(the overwhelming majority here legally). Lots of middle eastern families there just trying to live the American dream. Shortly after 9/11 we were playing mini-golf. Several middle east families were there. The parents and kids all wore buttons saying "proud to be an American ". Those buttons, and american flags on the cars and houses were a real thing for at least a year.

On one hand I felt for the moms and dads trying to make a better life for their kids. On the other hand I couldn't accept their silence about who had done us evil.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:28 AM
  26. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Still Angry... and bitter.

MarlboroughMan likes this.
  27. Broomcorn

Broomcorn

My Sister, was on one of the Boston to LA flights 3 weeks prior to 911. Really freaked her for a while that just the luck of scheduling a trip a few weeks earlier save her life.

I was on one of the first flights to Las Vegas once planes were allowed back in the air. I don't think there were 10 other passengers with me on that flight. And I will never forget walking down the Las Vegas Strip at night and seeing so many darkened hotel rooms. The city was a ghost town that week.

28. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I'm still angry, but I remember being MUCH angrier at the time. I'll never forget the details of that day, nor the feelings I had less than a week later as I crossed the upper deck of the GW going south and they had the northbound side closed and were just running tons of low beds over the bridge with excavators heading into the city.

My uncle and a coworker were the ones to pour over the flight manafests and pick put the names of the suspected terrorists.

29. whatluck

whatluck

i have not forgotten

MarlboroughMan likes this.
  30. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

Out at Hooksett today, remembering that day.
    upload_2019-9-12_14-0-27.png

MarlboroughMan and cockpitbob like this.