1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

I remember

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tbk5, Sep 11, 2015.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

The hijackers were unfortunately the biggest job creators of the last few decades.

2. bill o

bill o

3. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

4. Darksideblues42

Darksideblues42 NES Life Member NES Member

14 years ago, I was on an 8:30 call with a tech support team at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. We were trying to track down an issue with a new display model on their legacy system.

At 8:46, the line went dead.

Someone happened to be in the café across the hall from the office when the first reports started rolling in.

I called my fiance (Heather and I were not yet married) then gathered in the café along with most of our company and watched the news pour in.

I guess my take away is that life changes every instant. Some are inconsequential, some monumental, and you have no say which sort of change you will encounter at any given moment.

Take time for the important things. Hugs from your kids, holding hands with a loved one by a fire, shared laughs with friends, your favorite pet lounging on your lap. Watching the sun rise or set over the lake, the mountains, the ocean. Seek wonder in the most mundane moments.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the novel "The Sheltering Sky" by Paul Bowles

"Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

2 people like this.
  5. Ski

Ski

I remember. ...who did this.
    Who have done this and similar attacks world wide.
    Who continue the murders of innocents today.
    And who have a very long history of brutality since their inception.

Islamists who are the cancer of the earth.

3 people like this.
  6. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

This. I'm not concerned about durkas. I'm really concerned about the knee jerk, liberty infringing bullshit the .gov will resort to while responding to durka bullshit.

-Mike

7. TOY539

TOY539 NES Member

Never mind how strange the skies looked without planes, I was there, a stranger sight was the skies without the towers. That was surreal. [sad2]

8. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

THIS. statists gonna jackboot

9. jpk

jpk

I remember driving past the pentagon within a few days of the attack and it was still smouldering

Had friends who ended up filling jobs of people who were killed on the ground...aweful feeling of guilt/anger/other on their part when they found out who's shoes they were filling.

Friends who were in WTC who thankfully were able to get out

Cant drive accross the GWB and look south without being taken back to memories of that day.

Seems like parents/others are not doing enough to teach kids what happened that day

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    AHM likes this.
  10. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    2 people like this.
  11. kalash

kalash

Sadly, I wonder how many posters on this site know why we were attacked. I suspect the prevalent answer would be "because Islam".

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    WBspectrum likes this.
  12. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

This sums it up.

Attached Files:

13. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

Of course it's Islam.

1 person likes this.
  14. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

I get what you are saying. You are probably right most folks probably couldn't site UBLs given reason, but in the end "because Islam" is the correct answer. They were coming one way or another.

15. GlockJock

GlockJock NES Member

This. Even Mrs. Obama was "finally proud to be American that day"....Oh, wait...my bad.That came later.

16. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

You are not. I'm less concerned with what others want to do to us than the fact that our govt (and a good portion of our own weak, naive citizens) wants to disarm us and make us impotent. Who the hell will protect our people, our family, our homes if we are disarmed??

As for 9/11, I remember it clearly. I was at work in the cafe getting breakfast. My roommate came up to me and said that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. We both figured it was a prop commuter plane accident. I went up to our library where we had a TV, and there was a small crowd gathered. I watched as the 2nd plane hit the south tower, and we quickly knew it was no accident. Watching the towers fall was unbelievable. We saw it, but could scarcely believe it. Some in the room who had friends/family who worked in the towers were crying. I called my cousins in Manhattan and it took almost an hour to get through to find out they were ok. Will never forget that day.

17. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

So tell everyone why.

18. kalash

kalash

Short version: Saddam attacked Kuwait; the Saudis feared that he might come after them; Bin Laden offered to protect Saudi Arabia; instead the Saudis called in the Americans to help; Bin Laden was offended and embarrassed and formed Al Qaeda; first WTC bombing happens; then throw in America's close ties with Israel and you get 9/11.

My point earlier was that 9/11 didn't happened just because a bunch of Muslims were sitting around bored and decided that "hey, let's go kill some American infidels". A lot of people seem to think that we were attacked simply because we are not a Muslim nation, without knowing any of the backstory.

Though that being said, I am now going to argue against myself and cite that Bin Laden's opposition to US forces being on Muslim holy land was most certainly "because Islam", as was his opposition to the existence of the state of Israel (shana tova, by the way).

1 person likes this.
  19. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Ok.... so the front story would be that a couple radical Islamic idiots took out a few thousand Americans and we should just fuggedaboudit?

20. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it....and you have a good year too.

I'm getting old, I forgot it was Rosh Hashanah.

21. kalash

kalash

[laugh] Show me where I suggested that we "fuggedaboudit"?

Nope, never said anything even remotely to that effect. Of course we must never forget and we won't. But we should also know the whole story.

DarthRevan likes this.
  22. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard about it, I was driving the tow truck and listening to Howard Stern on the radio. I had just picked up a breakdown that was going out to Marlboro. The woman driving the car had just come from Logan Airport, after dropping off her father who was flying out to LA. We were both listening to the news and at the time didn't yet know two of the planes were headed to LA. I don't know if her dad was on one of them, but it was a possibility.
    Also, My SIL was working as a buyer for Chadwicks at the time, and she was close friends with several of the TJX employees that perished that day aboard the planes that hit the WTC.
    In fact, four of them were at her wedding a year earlier, she pointed them out to me in the wedding photos.

[sad2]

23. tbk5

tbk5

Even angrier because we are going backwards....

1 person likes this.
  24. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

On 9-11, a friend and I were driving back to New Mexico from a vacation in Wisconsin.

We had spent the night in a motel in Colorado, and watched it on the news that morning.

It took us almost 16 hours to get back to New Mexico. because everyone was panic buying at the gas stations.

We only made it because he was retired Air Force, and we were able to enter the AF Academy to get gas.

25. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

That's about as powerful as it gets, right there. [halfmast]

26. tbk5

tbk5

I was at work and was suddenly declared an essential employee. Working at a medical center, there was concern that it could be an attack priority so I was not allowed to leave--logic. I called my wife and told her to stay home. Her work friends, who previously looked down on me because I had firearms, decided my home was the best placed to shelter. Besides shock, there was much confusion about potential next waves of attack. I had food, water, generator, fuel and firearms--suddenly I wasn't a redneck anymore.

Three people that I went to college with died that day.

My parent's neighbor (in NY) survived the 1st garage bomb attack. After the 1st plane hit, he immediately evacuated his office despite the keep calm, nothing to worry about messages. That probably saved their lives. The second plane hit moments after they were on the street.

Despite what O wants to believe, we're still at war--at least the other side is...

27. usp45ct

usp45ct

Let's remember Bendhazi was also 9/11.

1 person likes this.
  28. fivepak

fivepak

Except it's an ideology and not a race.

Their hate for us began long before the first gulf war. They hate anything non-islamic. When they don't have infidels to kill they find a reason to kill each other.

A few months ago, not 10 miles from where I'm at now, these islamic animals were firing an anti-aircraft gun from the back of a truck into a crowd of civilians, mostly women and children.

Destroying islam isn't bigotry or hate, it's survival.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  29. Rayvis13

Rayvis13 NES Member

I will never forget.

30. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I remember just about everything about that day, but only from about the point that I heard the first plane hit. I was on Lowell St in Peabody on my way to my first service call of the day, I was listening to WAAF, and someone reported that a plane hit the tower. Kevin Barbery said something about it probably being a small plane and a heart attack, they then went to a song. Halfway through the song stopped and Greg Hill told us that another plane hit the second tower. I watched one of the towers fall in my customers waiting room, and then just went home because I didnt know what else to do. My roommates and several friends sat in my living room all day in stunned silence watching the reports.

A few days later I was on a trip down to NC to pick up a few cars for someone, as we were crossing the upper deck of the George Washington Bridge, the northbound side was closed, and they were just running countless excavators across on lowbeds.