I really want to start IDPA but no choices.

roccoracer

NES Member
For the last several years I have been waiting for a email when matches start back up in Western Mass. It is my understanding that still there are no matches. I work a ton and have little free time so driving 2+ hours for a match is not ideal. I joined the IDPA for a while but stopped because I did not make it to a single event. Are any of you aware of matches in Western Mass or an alternative?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

I know there was one match, I was there for it. Not sure what they have planned this year for frequency.

Lee Sportsmans Assoc. does IDPA. About 10 minutes off of Pike exit 2.

The club calendar is here, but they haven't posted dates for 2017 yet. They'll be putting dates up for steel as well.

as far as I know Daniel is still planning on running idpa in granby
you also have uspsa at monson and granby, icore in monson., PRS (precision rifle series) in granby, and 2&3 gun hopefully returning to both clubs this year.

Don't be picky. Shoot USPSA as well as IDPA and any steel matches you can find. This should give you enough events to fit into your schedule.

I do two IDPA's a month usually. both of the places I shoot at are an hour from me. I just suck it up and make the drive.

I do two IDPA's a month usually. both of the places I shoot at are an hour from me. I just suck it up and make the drive.

Yep. Me living on the ass end of 128, makes it a decent drive to any competitions. Though Woburn Sportsman's Assocation (Bedford) isn't very long of a drive for me. Harvard and especially Worcester kinda suck but I deal with it. My local club doesn't offer anything remotely close to the clubs I mentioned, so I'm forced to make the drive.

Don't be picky. Shoot USPSA as well as IDPA and any steel matches you can find. This should give you enough events to fit into your schedule.
[laugh2]+1 on this.

I shoot SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA and use the same gun. With the recent rule changes in IDPA there is not a whole lot of difference between the two except for the reload philosophy and use of cover. Plus iof you can shoot with that vest on you can surely shoot without it!!!

They were doing Thursday night steel shoots at Lee last year too, not sure if they are happening again this year but you might want to look into that

Lee has IDPA and Steel on the calendar now - http://www.leesportsmen.com/lsa-calendar/

Looks like IDPA & Steel are Sunday afternoons plus Steel on Thursday after work, all once a month or so. Check the calendar.

The Board voted the outdoor pistol chairman $2k to spend on more IDPA targets last month - can't wait to see what he does with them.

I forgot about this thread and started another. Oops. I may be going to this sundays shoot. Are any of you going? As a first timer I will need a more experienced shooter to take me under there wing. I am not a novice shooter but have not done IDPA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I drive to 2 other states to shoot USPSA!

Seriously though, CT doesn't have much in the way of USPSA, so just about every weekend I'll be driving around 60-90min to a match in RI or MA.

Very much much worth the drive.

oh, don't worry about being new. As long as you can safely handle your firearm and pay attention to the RSO commands, you'll be fine.

I drive to 2 other states to shoot USPSA!

Seriously though, CT doesn't have much in the way of USPSA, so just about every weekend I'll be driving around 60-90min to a match in RI or MA.

Very much much worth the drive.

oh, don't worry about being new. As long as you can safely handle your firearm and pay attention to the RSO commands, you'll be fine.

You going to Hopkinton on Saturday? Trying to decide if I should shoot USPSA or IDPA on Saturday...the USPSA match is an hour and 15 min from my house while the IDPA match is 45 min...

I forgot about this thread and started another. Oops. I may be going to this sundays shoot. Are any of you going? As a first timer I will need a more experienced shooter to take me under there wing. I am not a novice shooter but have not done IDPA.

I'll be at Lee Sunday, but can't stay long enough to shoot IDPA. I'll probably be on the rifle range until 2:00. Its a low stress bunch that's usually there, just let Sean Sullivan know you're new to it and he'll take care of you. If you have time swing by the rifle range and say hi.

You going to Hopkinton on Saturday? Trying to decide if I should shoot USPSA or IDPA on Saturday...the USPSA match is an hour and 15 min from my house while the IDPA match is 45 min...

I am not. I will be at Granby on Sunday though. That's about an hour and 15 from me.

Hopkinton is about 2hrs from me (plus Saturday isn't good right now), but I'm hoping to make the drive later this summer. I hear good things and would like to check it out.

Awesome bro! Get out there and have fun! As long as you are conscious of the rules and commands of the RO, you'll be fine. Go at your speed and enjoy it.

I completed my first match today. I drove the hour and ten minutes to find out it was canceled. But because 9 people showed up we did it any way. We only did 4 stages but it was awesome! The stages were well thought out and challenging. I managed to shoot well and did not have any technical or safety infractions. Just one FTN and good scores. Im hooked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom