I Really like Mass Firearms School

I also like them however this week on vacation I was able to browse some more local shops such as the Gun Parlor and Pullman arms. Both places the prices where a tad higher however there customer service was better than MFS. ( I think MFS has good CS)

Been there once. Nice retail shop, a tad pricier than your LGS yes.
Two ranges (I believe one is slightly longer) with a good amount of bays. Even let off a couple target loads from my shotgun just for kicks (they say you have to use their SG ammo but I was shooting the same thing they sold so I wasn't worried about the backstop or whatever else they were thinking). Expensive for hourly (still waiting on my club to get it's ass in gear and get my a key card already) but the membership isn't too ridiculous, no sponsor crap, no meetings, work hours, etc. but you pay for it.

ya i've been there once, nice place w/ regard to trying out different firearms (i tried a ruger 1911--nice)

if it works for others, and you live nearby, go for it. good, friendly staff. indoor shooting is not my first choice

Great place, nice ammo and gun selection, helpful staff.

Highly recommended.....[bow]
Not a bad place at all. Wife got her training certificate there. I went along for the ride. Caught some errors in the training re: MA law but kept my mouth shut for my wife's sake. [wink] Would have been fun if LenS had been in the class with us. [smile]

Overall, it was a good experience. She wants to go back for more training. I was really quite pleased with how they made her feel so comfortable.

I wish the gun prices were more in line with FSGuns et al. I've bought ammo there... and parts & accessories... but no guns yet. Tried to buy one used revolver (at a very good price) but it sold before I could get back there with the cash. Story of my life. A day late and a dollar short. [crying]

It was way out of my way, but thats where my gf and I went for our certification. Plan to take a couple of more classes there as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MFS is awesome facility.
their stock is overpriced but no worse than most other MA dealers

A+ for their LTC class. They did a good job of clarifying how Mass laws were 'different' from the southern state I had just moved from. Also I was pleased to see them do a good job with some newbie ladies taking the class.

I use the ceiling panels, they're 5 ft each.

I think they are longer than that. The range is 13yds I believe which is 39 feet. I think there are 4 panels and then the back wall (if I recall). It looks to me like the distance between the last panel and the back wall is longer than the distance between the first 4 panels. I would say the first 4 panels are 7 feet apart and then the distance to the back wall from the last panel makes up the difference (about 11 feet).

Now I could be talking out my a$$ here but that's what it looks like to me. Take it as you will...

I did a transfer this week at MFS for an online purchase. Couldn't have gone smoother. In and out in 20 minutes, $25 transfer fee. I am a member at MFS and have always been happy with my experiences there. This was my first transfer done at MFS and it went perfectly. I absolutely recommend MFS for transfers and any other needs. A+

I like MFS, but it gets seriously packed on the weekend. Plus, it is sort of a joke that they sell all those high-end rifles at a range that can't handle anything but pistol ammo. That said, I have bought a rifle there because their prices are not terrible and they actually take the time to make the rifles MA-compliant if they need to be changed (brakes, welding, pinning, etc). That saves times/hassle, and they do it on a large scale it seems, and I got in and out fast and was shooting it 30 min later (took it to another range). Customer service in my opinion is A+, the guys are efficient and are talkative and in a good mood. The have never hassled myself or friends, even when we start making fun of each other and drawing hilarious targets onto the backs of targets at the ranges (we are very competitive), which is a huge pro in their favor.

For transfers, I love MFS, and I'm a member there too. They are about 100x better than Bass Pro for doing transfers or actual firearms sales, never have I seen more bumbling than Bass Pro. You may not get the prices you get at Four Seasons, but the selection is quite different in terms of the higher-end rifles (Tavors, SCARs, rifles in 338 if you are into that).

My friend bought an hour shooting session or something on Groupon for there. Apparently shooting an actual AK was part of it. i thought it was some 22lr one but according to them it was 7.62x39 at their range.
What's up with that? Rifles soon?

I'm a member there and wish they weren't so far away from me. I'd be there more often

My friend bought an hour shooting session or something on Groupon for there. Apparently shooting an actual AK was part of it. i thought it was some 22lr one but according to them it was 7.62x39 at their range.

I'm a member there and wish they weren't so far away from me. I'd be there more often

I think they let people shoot the frangible rifle ammo they sell in some calibers.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I think they are longer than that. The range is 13yds I believe which is 39 feet. I think there are 4 panels and then the back wall (if I recall). It looks to me like the distance between the last panel and the back wall is longer than the distance between the first 4 panels. I would say the first 4 panels are 7 feet apart and then the distance to the back wall from the last panel makes up the difference (about 11 feet).

I thought range 2 (the one in the back) was 25 ft, but you're right, it's 39 ft. There are definitely five panels, but you may be right that the rear one is longer or does not extend all the way to the back wall.

I guess I'm a slightly better shot than I thought. [grin]

To MFS: it would be nice if you could mark distances somehow. Maybe with pieces of electrical tape on the rail that the target holder rides in—one color marking every 3 ft and another color marking every 5 ft.

Other things on my MFS wishlist:

(1) More rental guns. Ideally, anything that they offer for sale should also be available at the rental counter. Personally, I'd love to see Ruger GP101 and SP101 (3" and 2" barrel), S&W model 60 (3" and 2" barrel), Kahr PM9/CM9, and some more .380 pistols. (Story time: A staff told me that they used to have a Walther PPS, but it kept breaking, and Walther's customer service sucked, so they gave up on it.)

(2) If it can be done safely, combine three lanes by taking out two of the ballistic partitions so we can do shooting drills with three targets at various distances.

(3) Dig an action pit in the back … ok, I should stop, I'm getting carried away.

I was there when they were shooting the AK on time on the front range, it was frangible ammo, and they probably loaded it wicked low in terms of powder too. Their backstop cannot handle rifle calibers, so put it out of your mind. I mean, you can't even shoot 10mm or .44 mag on the rear range.

My limited experience at MFS was positive too. Bought a gun from them. Was able to try it before I bought it. Friendly, helpful. Not like some other gun shops we all know, one of which is going out business as I type.

Folks, I am reading every post in this thread and hope to answer the questions asked here.

I was there when they were shooting the AK on time on the front range, it was frangible ammo, and they probably loaded it wicked low in terms of powder too. Their backstop cannot handle rifle calibers, so put it out of your mind. I mean, you can't even shoot 10mm or .44 mag on the rear range.

The AK's we are shooting are using standard 7.62x39 ammo. For the groupon sessions we are using a 10" AK (for those of you who don't know we are a 07ffl with a Class 2 SOT).

Our engineers have developed a new backstop technology that enables us to shoot most rifle calibers at our range. The reason we have not opened up the range for rifles outside of our classes is due to the sound they produce. We have sound engineers working on that issue.

10mm has always been allowed at our ranges. Once all of the lanes are upgraded we will get .44mag back in there as well.

Concerning our retail store MFS is one of the only retail stores in New England that publicizes their inventory, with prices, online.

I am surprised that some in the thread mentioned our prices being on the high side. We generally price items to compete nationally. PM me if you know of a store selling something at a lower price and I will do what I can to lower our price on that particular product (not just for you but store wide).

Steve
(active on NES since 2005)

PS - We have 6 lanes at 54 feet and 12 lanes at 40 feet (we also have a 100 yard indoor range in the works [wink] )

Folks, I am reading every post in this thread and hope to answer the questions asked here.

The AK's we are shooting are using standard 7.62x39 ammo. For the groupon sessions we are using a 10" AK (for those of you who don't know we are a 07ffl with a Class 2 SOT).

Our engineers have developed a new backstop technology that enables us to shoot most rifle calibers at our range. The reason we have not opened up the range for rifles outside of our classes is due to the sound they produce. We have sound engineers working on that issue.

10mm has always been allowed at our ranges. Once all of the lanes are upgraded we will get .44mag back in there as well.

Concerning our retail store MFS is one of the only retail stores in New England that publicizes their inventory, with prices, online.

I am surprised that some in the thread mentioned our prices being on the high side. We generally price items to compete nationally. PM me if you know of a store selling something at a lower price and I will do what I can to lower our price on that particular product (not just for you but store wide).

Steve
(active on NES since 2005)

PS - We have 6 lanes at 54 feet and 12 lanes at 40 feet (we also have a 100 yard indoor range in the works [wink] )

I will say your website with up to date inventory and prices is FAR better than many others out there. The retail store is clean and well laid out as well. 100 Yard indoor range in the works huh, that would certainly draw some more people for memberships.

The AK's we are shooting are using standard 7.62x39 ammo

Guess the employee we asked about it was misinformed too :). Probably just got nervous since my friend was like "I'll just go get my AK from the car..." hahahaha.

We were told that we could only shoot 10mm and 44 mag on the front range (but we were allowed both). Are the backstops different in the back, or it is just about not bothering people with the sound?

All in all this is a great range, and has great inventory. I don't like the fact that it gets packed, but I notice many of the people are those just trying out shooting (non-owners), which is a very good thing for shooting and gun ownership in general, so I can deal with it. I am always happy to see new people getting into shooting or at least giving it a try, since that makes perhaps one more informed voter on our side. The facility, store, and range don't have that sketchy "backroom" feel a number of gun shops have, which is big positive for the shooting community's PR and makes for a better experience for non-shooters and visitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom