• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I really don't give a s**T what happens to you

Call 911

Two-and-half-hours into the ordeal Sheila called again. This time, she was told there was no one assigned to answer her call.

Sheila: "Nobody's coming out here?"
911: "Yes, ma'am. As soon as the sergeant gets an officer available, he's gonna send somebody out there."
Sheila: "What, do y'all want him to kill me - so you can put yellow tape around me and say we got there just for the death? Is that it? I don't understand."

"It felt like I was a test subject. We're going to see how long it takes before he goes back and actually kills her - that's what I felt like," Sheila said.

The worse part was what Sheila had not heard. The worst part was what the 911 call taker said after Sheila hung up the phone.

Sheila: "I'm scared to even leave out my f***ing house."
911: "OK, ma'am, I updated the call. We'll get somebody there as soon as possible."
Sheila: [Hangs up.]
911: "I really just don't give a s**t what happens to you."

Reason number 98798323 why you need a gun.

A screwup of this nature would bring instant termination in the private sector, and the employer might even fight unemployment claiming a "for cause" firing. If the person is suspended pending termination, (s)he might even draw a paycheck until the final determination is made.

In the public sector, however, the employee has the right to documented fairness; an internal hearing; possible union representation; etc; etc. If there are layoffs down the road (s)he can count on seniority, rather than merit, being used to determine who gets to keep their job.

My family moved to South Carolina, I had an interview with Deputy Chief Of the Sheriffs Dpt. he told me to have my family members buy a good home defense shotgun, and if any unwanted visitors come into your home, shoot them.... police could be a while responding....

There have been several lawsuits because the police failed to act. The police have never been found responsible because they didn't have a direct duty to that particular individual (ie, that person wasn't in custody). Which is what makes strict gun control laws so objectionable.

Here's more...

911 Officials Say No Excuse for Response

Posted: May 13, 2008 07:28 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Our exclusive NewsChannel 5 investigation first uncovered a 911 call that's now the talk of the country.

So why didn't a Nashville woman get the help that she needed?

That's what our chief investigative reporter Phil Williams has been investigating -- and he had some tough questions for city officials.

As we first revealed, when Sheila Jones needed help, help never came.

That despite repeated calls to Metro Nashville's 911 over a three-hour stretch about an ex-boyfriend who'd assaulted her and was threatening to come back.

Sheila to 911:"They ain't sent nobody. I just don't understand. Is it 'cause I'm black? Is it 'cause of the neighborhood. What is it?"

And our investigation discovered, this is how one of the last calls ended:

Sheila: "I'm scared to even leave out my f***ing house."
911: "OK, ma'am, I updated the call. We'll get somebody there as soon as possible."
Sheila: [Hangs up.]
911: "I really just don't give a s**t what happens to you."

When Phil Williams played that tape, it was the first time she'd heard that remark.

"I think I'm more hurt than I am mad that my life didn't mean a damn thing to them," she said.

Phil asked Metro's interim 911 director Terry Griffith, "What kind of excuse is there for that?"

"None, it's awful," she responded.

Griffith also hadn't heard those words until we began our investigation. All her staff had given her was a report that described it in general terms.

"I think that generally we choose to say inappropriate remark, unacceptable remark," she said.

"But this was really inappropriate," Phil interjected.

"Totally inappropriate," she agreed.

And when Phil played it for Metro Police Chief Ronal Serpas, it was the first time that he had actually heard it for himself.

"Yeah, I've heard about that," the chief said. "And my understanding is the employee is no longer with us."

Phil asked Griffith, "Was he fired right on the spot?"

"No," she admitted, "I don't think he was fired right on the spot, no."

911 officials say the calltaker was a trainee who was fired back in March -- not for the comment, but for flunking his final exam.

"Does that say something about the environment at 911?" Phil asked Chief Serpas.

"Oh, I don't think so," he answered. "It says something about that individual employee."

Still, the chief says that comment alone would have been enough to fire him.

"That type of call, handled that way, particularly that statement if that came to me as a disciplinary question, oh, it would absolutely be termination."

Still, the biggest problem may not have been that comment, which Sheila Jones never heard.

It was a string of errors that effectively put her call for help on hold.

For example, police say it wasn't coded as a domestic violence incident. So, with other calls coming in, the officer initially assigned the call decided it wasn't his highest priority.

"I do not believe and I cannot believe that if officers thought they were responding to a domestic violence call in progress, they would have broken off to do something else," Serpas told Phil.

At one point, a kindly 911 operator did call Sheila back to check on her and let her know police would soon be there.

911: "Just stay inside. But if he shows back up, you call back on 911, OK?"
Sheila: "OK."
911: "But they're coming to you, sweetie, OK?"
Sheila: "OK."

The problem is: it wasn't true.

"That is an error," Griffith said.

"If an officer is not on the way, you don't tell them that?" Phil asked.

"No, we don't."

Then, at shift change, the 911 computers deleted records about Sheila's call.

"This poor woman," said Serpas, "was not given the service she needed in our community. Anybody who thinks she did is wrong."

Sheila asked, "I'm a taxpayer. I pay bills. Where is my money going. Who is protecting me?"

She says she fears that the one 911 operator's comment speaks volumes about how they feel about the people they are supposed to serve.

"How would you feel if that had happened to your wife?" Phil asked Serpas.

The chief answered, "I think my job is to wonder what we would do to make sure it doesn't happened to anybody's wife."

Griffith said she feels "terrible about it. I don't want that to happen to anybody that needs us. And I really apologize to her."

The 911 director said that every time there's a mistake, it's used for training to make sure that the mistakes are not repeated.

This, she added, will definitely be a learning experience.

There probably would have been a public hanging.... oh thats right this is MA, and the bleeding hearts would have stepped in...

Not just CAN'T help you, but some don't want to help you.

This was another case of a 911 operator/dispatcher screwing up not the police. Where in this did the police indicate that they would not help.

If it had been a police officer who answered the call I would agree with you but it was not.

If this happened in Massachusetts...nothing would happen. Just like little will come of the 911 operator who fell asleep in the middle of an emergency call last week.

South v. Maryland, 59 U.S. (How.) 396, 15 L.Ed.433 (1856) (the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that local law-enforcement had no duty to protect individuals, but only a general duty to enforce the laws.);

I agree w/Half Cocked, unfortinately not all people understand the way 911/dispatch/police operate....

This was another case of a 911 operator/dispatcher screwing up not the police. Where in this did the police indicate that they would not help.

If it had been a police officer who answered the call I would agree with you but it was not.

Agreed, but by extension, it still makes the PD look bad in the end, because the dispatcher tried to make it sound like they were too busy to deal with the person's problem. Despite the fact that probably was not the case, it's
still appalling. It's still a customer service problem. It would be like having a car brand, and having a dealer that consistently treats customers like shit- whether one likes it or not, that dealer ends up damaging the mothership's credibility to some degree. The same is true here- these 911 operators essentially -represent- the PD, FD, EMS agencies they dispatch to.

-Mike

Agreed, but by extension, it still makes the PD look bad in the end, because
the dispatcher tried to make it sound like they were too busy to deal with the
person's problem. Despite the fact that probably was not the case, it's
still appalling. It's still a customer service problem. It would be like having a car brand, and having a dealer that consistently treats customers like shit- whether one likes it or not, that dealer ends up damaging the mothership's credibility to some degree. The same is true here- these 911 operators essentially -represent- the PD, FD, EMS agencies they dispatch
to.

-Mike

Understood. The actions of the 911 operator are appalling and inexcusable.

Cudos to both, thats the problem with some people in the EMS world, they become less compassionate over time... no excuse I know, but thats what happens, try to tell them to get another job is like arguing with an anti-gun touchhole....

And that "To Protect and Serve" is a long-standing form of false advertising.

All people really need to know is that the police are under no obligation to protect anybody(except thier own of course).Most people think it's the duty of a cop to protect them,which is not true.

Quibbling over whether the 911 Operator was really part of the police is just that, quibbling. It's the kind of thing that might work as a defense in court, and might make someone feel happy that "their team" didn't drop the ball, but it's just a bunch of BS from the callers' point of view. You call 911 to get emergency services; when you don't get them in a timely manner, the system has failed you. You really don't give a damn which compartment of the system was responsible for the initial error. If I had to rely on 911 to protect my family, I'd be strongly tempted to copy the old internet tale:
Caller: There's a guy trying to break into my house.
911: We've notified police, but they won't have a unit available for about a half hour.
(click)
Caller: It's me again. You can tell the police they don't need to hurry. I just shot the guy breaking into my house.
(click)
[Police show up about 3 minutes later]
Police: I thought you said you shot they guy.
Original Caller: I though you didn't have any units available.
[Anybody who's tempted to suggest I'd get into trouble for doing this is in serious need of some therapy. Perhaps they should borrow a nickel from somebody any buy a clue.]

Ken

I don't give a flying f*ck if this is perceived as a screw up by the police or a 911 operator. And, I care even less about how this reinforces the point that they're under no obligation to do anything or that if you're armed you stand a better chance of surviving or any other BS we repeat endlessly week after week. Because it all means absolutely nothing when you consider one human being said "I really don't give a sh*t what happens to you" about another human being.
F'ck the part where this person's apathy is the cause of jeopardy for anyone who calls and has the misfortune of having this person answer - This person just doesn't give a sh*t. And, we skip right over that to the other BS. F*ck that is just disgusting.
That poor f*cking woman's terrorized and that's how she's treated?!?!?! That is criminal apathy!

[Anybody who's tempted to suggest I'd get into trouble for doing this is in serious need of some therapy. Perhaps they should borrow a nickel from somebody any buy a clue.]

Ken

Ken, I agree with this sentiment 110%. One is better off only expecting them and their own (family) to be of any use in the first critical minutes of an
emergency, especially one that involves self defense. I know if I dialed 911 in such a circumstance I wouldn't be wasting a lot of time on the phone with the operator if someone was trying to break into my house. Even if 911 is on the ball the response rarely will be fast enough to deal with the situation if one is being attacked, assaulted, etc...

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom