• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I passed my General tonight!

no clue what you passed but good job man..congrats
Ham radio license. There's 3 levels. The 1st gets you privileges in the short wavelengths that travel line of sight and won't go very far but are great for local chatting, emergency communications and volunteering at big events like marathons and parades. He passed the 2nd level which gets you the longer wavelengths that will skip around the globe. Now, with a simple radio and a wire antenna stung up in a tree (and cooperation from the ionosphere) he can talk to people 1,000s of miles away. The 3rd level license doesn't get you any new capabilities. It only gets you little sections of those long wavelengths reserved for people with that license. Sort of like being able to sit at the cool kid's table in the cafeteria.

Nice! I remember when I passed my General back in '86 (I had to go to the FCC office in Boston at the time)...I was finally able to reach for my mic rather than my key to answer a CQ. Sad to say, I have only had 3 or 4 CW contacts since then.

Congrats! Enjoy the expanded privileges!

Back
Top Bottom