I passed my General exam today

Yes I just got my Tech a few weeks ago. Now I have my General. If I wasn’t going into the hospital for surgery and then 10 weeks to mend I would be going for my Extra in a few weeks, however that will have to wait. The good thing is I will have a lot of time to study. Now to get a Radio and set up an antenna. The problem is I have to get this done now. I have a short window only a few days. I want to get something with tubes, however this may not be the best for my first radio.
KC1ABV

I found a like new complete with mic Icom IC736 for sale in Springfield MA. $725.00 and he will deliver to me. Is this a good price?
KC1ABV

I found a like new complete with mic Icom IC736 for sale in Springfield MA. $725.00 and he will deliver to me. Is this a good price?
KC1ABV

Not a bad price for a good used radio but I usually see them go for about $100 less but without the microphone. I see the rig itself run for $500 to $650 usually, some mics can be worth up to $100 used so do take that into consideration as well as condition. Most hams build a buffer into the price because believe it or not, Hams LOVE to haggle. I'd at least offer him $50 less, I bet he takes it. :)

Contgrats....I've been saying that I'm going to get my Extra for a few years now...I keep starting to study and then I get caught up and have to start over as I forget most of the stuff.

Good luck on reaching Extra...next is code. I've tried a ton of times to learn it...I just don't get it. I don't think that I have the ear for it...or I'm just too dumb. HAHA

Congrats John, it's a lot of fun.
I have an Advanced class license and that goes back to the late 70's. Haven't been active for years, but still maintain the license. Also still have a Kenwood TS440 HF radio, 10-160 meters and some other ham stuff. Good times.

I will try to take my Extra exam the end of the month if all goes well.
Today I purchased my first radio a six month old Yeasu FT-950, with power supply and hand mic. $950.00. I did a pick up in CT. so I was able to get home and get everything set up.
This week I set up a rain gutter antenna. Last night I made my first contact on 40M it was someone contesting although it was a short contact it was my first. I am looking foward to talking to you guys just let me know when and on what band and freq.
KC1ABV

Rain gutter antenna - love it! I've always wanted to try the rain gutters. I have a jog in my roof which means 2 lenths of gutters aren't connected so I could set them up as sort of a dipole. Right now I have a 180' piece of brown 14AWG Home Depot wire strung into the trees and a tuner pushing against 2 ground rods. It works great and is all but invisible.

I will try to take my Extra exam the end of the month if all goes well.
Today I purchased my first radio a six month old Yeasu FT-950, with power supply and hand mic. $950.00. I did a pick up in CT. so I was able to get home and get everything set up.
This week I set up a rain gutter antenna. Last night I made my first contact on 40M it was someone contesting although it was a short contact it was my first. I am looking foward to talking to you guys just let me know when and on what band and freq.
KC1ABV

Dude, you jumped in both feet first with that radio, nice work.

I have a long L gutter that I am using, the areas that were not fasten tightly I put in some new sheet metal screws. I also thought that if I had an area with gutter and down spout not connected I could sheet metal screw a flat copper strip to join them. Luckily I did not have to do this, however it is a way to get around the disconnect.

Back
Top Bottom