• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need your thoughts on this 30-06 load setup

Patriot

NES Member
I purchased some 30-06 brass from a NES member and amongst that brass was about 8-10
pieces of brass already primed. My dilemma is that I have no idea what kind of primer it is,
regular or magnum large rifle. I case gauged the brass and it is perfect. I checked the
length and it looks like it has been trimmed uniformly. I'm planning to use the min load of
AA2700, which is 53gr on a Winchester 150gr Spitzer Soft Point. Does anyone see any
issues with respect to whether the primers in this brass are regular or magnum with this
load setup? These would be shot through a Rem700.

The magnum primer is a 'hotter' primer and will cause the powder to burn faster? 2700 is
not the fastest powder going for 30-06 loading so maybe the mag primer might not make
much of a difference? Why am I using 2700? Just because I have a pound of it I want to
use up. Tomorrow is going to be a crappy day weather-wise and I want to reload some
30-06, and I don't feel like traveling to get some 2520. [smile]

Thanks,

TBP

With reloaded brass the primer will pop out easily with very little pressure from the press. Pop um out and put in the ones you will be using on the other brass.

regards....roger

The fun thing to do would be to touch them off in your rifle! Warning: They will be way louder than you would expect! Wear Hearing Protection!!!

When I was testing how light of a trigger pull would reliably touch off federal primers. I cut a hole in the top of a cardboard box that was inside a box with foam peanuts. Nice and quiet

Back
Top Bottom