• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need your thoughts on conceal carry purses, and if you want , my gun:)

Hey Queen Bee... everyone's been super helpful and has given you lots of great options/suggestions... and since I'm a guy... I'm not sure I can add any more... but what I can offer is the chance for you to try out a bunch of guns if you'd like.

I have the guns below... and if you're ever interested in trying any of them out... just shoot me a PM and we can meet up at HSC or MRA or a range that you belong to.

HK USP Compact 9mm
Glock 17, 19, 26 9mm's
Kahr MK9 9mm
Sig 228, 225 9mm's
Ruger SP101 .357mag/.38spec 2" barrel (GREAT revolver as it's compact, yet heavy so it absorbs a lot of the recoil compared to the lighter revolvers that can kick quite a bit)
S&W 60 .38spec snubby

Anyway... anytime you want to try any of those out... just holler.

Hanwei

I'm just gong to reiterate what I suggested in your other thread. SR9c and IWB carry, only because, like Jenilynn said a few pages back, if your purse gets swiped so does your gun. Also you would have to practice, practice, practice all the time with purse carry(you will anyway with any method, but more so with the purse). Any holster like the crossbreed, galco kingtuk, Desantis has a hybrid leather kydex model too would work best because of a woman's poorly designed hips hahahaha j/k, and a bunch of guys who make them custom much cheaper...
M&P's are great! but their triggers are terrible, it's not a slight against them or their owners, but why would you want to spend $100 plus more for the pistol plus another $30-$50 for a trigger job. Not something I would suggest for a beginner. The Ruger SR line is right about $400 out the door which is acceptable for a FIRST gun. $800-$1000 for a sig or HK not so much.
I've shot most of the polymers and the Ruger is the one I like the most YMMV... A lot of guys don't like them for their own reasons like I hate Glocks, whatever, you have to try them all and choose what's right for you. I think you'd be happy with the compact SR as most NEW shooters are, and if you don't like it, you will easily get your money back to put towards a different model.

Last edited:
so since ive received my LTC class A unrestricted today, i started looking alot harder online for what would be some ideas in addition to the pistol wear band , because in fall i can wear sweaters and light coats,

so far ive looked at
http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/productinfo.aspx?id=1144 good for overall OWB carry plus its release control..

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Standard-CQC-Concealment-Holster-Carbon-Fiber,1147,32.htm i like this cause it gives some retention, and would probably be quicker to draw? i don't know but it looks very nice while being minimal for OWB.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3790&GunID=63 for an IWB holster, though the one strap holding it on makes me wonder if the weight of the HK will wear that out fast... so i wonder if i should go with an Mtac still for IWB.

or try the http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3616&GunID=63

what do you feel would be good for carrying ? i know the hk is one hell of a beast in terms of weight.

feel free to just say buy them all too, and im sure i will in time, but for a first ? would you go with an OWB or IWB holster just to get used to it on your body? i like the idea of the blackhawks, cause its molded and it won't compress anything, and i think i remember reading about a guy with a leather holster AD'ing his gun in a leather holster while in the car? i can't remember, but the blackhawks are chunkier to add to the gun vs the leather .. let me know what you guys think, gotta go out to the range tonight.

QB, thanks for this post. I am in a similar situation as you. I have my LTC class A unrestricted, and am still shopping for what I want. I have it narrowed down to two, both Rugers, SR9c and the LC9, its down to going and feeling both again. I happen to be 5' and about 120lbs, there is almost nowhere to carry on me in the summer. I thought about a purse for about 15 seconds, but I can't stand purses to begin with. I think I might go with the crossbreed. It looks like it might be able to work with most of what I wear. I tend to wear my clothing a little on the baggier side so I think I can do ITW.
Thank you everyone for all your responses they have helped more than just QueenBee

I have tried the Galco and really did not like it. My husband does carry using his. The best holster I have worn is the Crossbreed. I have carried a Glock 19 in the Super Tuck with combat cut and now carry my LCP with crimson trace in the Micro Clip. I also use a DeSantis Pistol Pack when purse carrying, it is a small zippered pouch that can be locked if needed. Right now the Ruger LCP is my main carry firearm and has been easy to conceal. I plan on getting a new Crossbreed or Comp-Tac Minotaur for my S&W M&P9c but at this time the LCP is much easier to conceal for me.

I know I am late on the purse carry question, but do not write off regular purses many of my Coach and Kate Spade bags have perfect conceal pockets and with better quality bags the leather or fabric help the bag from not printing your firearm.

It is hard to tell someone the right holster as with different body types all holsters wear different for the person wearing it. A really good belt is also something you need to look for.

I would recommend going to First Defense in Uxbridge, MA they have a wall of holsters that Dennis and Shelly allow you to try out. Maybe give them a call to see if they have some for the specific firearm and that way you can get a feel for the different holsters. I did this with ankle holsters and found that it isn't a way I want to carry. They do carry Galco, Blackhawks, DeSantis, & Crossbreeds, plus others.

Good Luck! And don't feel bad if you end up with a bunch of holsters that don't work for you.

so since ive received my LTC class A unrestricted today, i started looking alot harder online for what would be some ideas in addition to the pistol wear band , because in fall i can wear sweaters and light coats,

so far ive looked at
http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/productinfo.aspx?id=1144 good for overall OWB carry plus its release control..

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Standard-CQC-Concealment-Holster-Carbon-Fiber,1147,32.htm i like this cause it gives some retention, and would probably be quicker to draw? i don't know but it looks very nice while being minimal for OWB.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3790&GunID=63 for an IWB holster, though the one strap holding it on makes me wonder if the weight of the HK will wear that out fast... so i wonder if i should go with an Mtac still for IWB.

or try the http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3616&GunID=63

what do you feel would be good for carrying ? i know the hk is one hell of a beast in terms of weight.

feel free to just say buy them all too, and im sure i will in time, but for a first ? would you go with an OWB or IWB holster just to get used to it on your body? i like the idea of the blackhawks, cause its molded and it won't compress anything, and i think i remember reading about a guy with a leather holster AD'ing his gun in a leather holster while in the car? i can't remember, but the blackhawks are chunkier to add to the gun vs the leather .. let me know what you guys think, gotta go out to the range tonight.

I would steer away from the Plastic OWB holsters for everyday carry. They are a bit bulky and a lot of folks have some horror stories about how they hold up as well. Keeping it inside the waistband is really your best bet to keep well concealed IMHO.

As for IWB holsters, Galco isn't bad but I don't think they're worth the money. They're mass produced leather. If you want a good leather holster, look to places like Milt Sparks and Don Hume among many others. The timing is tougher on those and they can bit a bit more money but they'll last longer.

If it's the price point that's attractive, try Comp Tac or, for a little less, Crossbreed. They're well made and comfortable. With the Comp Tac you also have the option to tuck a shirt in over the gun.

If it's the price point that's attractive, try Comp Tac or, for a little less, Crossbreed. They're well made and comfortable. With the Comp Tac you also have the option to tuck a shirt in over the gun.

yeh out of the two , id rather save the 20 dollars between the comptac Mtac, and the crossbreed. though its current wait time is at least a month, so i have to find something cheap to use until that time.. probably my purse lol sorry guys but until that comes in, looks like my coach bag will have to do :) i also like the galco summer comfort just cause its all leather and may be a tad more comfy . and i can take it off easy and put into my purse

Last edited:
QB, thanks for this post. I am in a similar situation as you. I have my LTC class A unrestricted, and am still shopping for what I want. I have it narrowed down to two, both Rugers, SR9c and the LC9, its down to going and feeling both again. I happen to be 5' and about 120lbs, there is almost nowhere to carry on me in the summer. I thought about a purse for about 15 seconds, but I can't stand purses to begin with. I think I might go with the crossbreed. It looks like it might be able to work with most of what I wear. I tend to wear my clothing a little on the baggier side so I think I can do ITW.
Thank you everyone for all your responses they have helped more than just QueenBee

thank you , i actually chose the Crossbreed as well tonight , and until it comes in i will have to use my purse to carry

yeh danboSMASH i looked at their website and emailed them to see what holsters they had for an HK uspc, its a problem in Mass since its not a common gun here in this restrictive state. but thank god for the internet:)

queenbee, the crossbreeds are great iwb's and you can carry a fairly lg pistol comfortably but if you really wanna carry iwb and not have to alter your wardrobe maybe consider a smaller pistol like a pm9 or one of the many compact .380's. the difference in ease of carry from my glock to my pm9 is considerable. i think i'm going to get the wife a s&w bodyguard or ruger lcp and i'm pretty sure she will purse carry only, but i dont think she'll carry often. i/we worry more about when she is home alone. she did carry pepper spray keychain until someone at work made a comment about it.

thank you to all the replies. so far im buying two holsters for my first gun, the crossbreed and a galco summer comfort in black. the galco will act as my trigger guard pouch when its sometimes in my purse. and the crossbreed will be my mainstay. yeh i wanted a regular fullsize pistol for my first like the uspc for my first for home defense and ccw.

also for those times since im broke now lol ..such an expensive habit. :) ive got mean green pepper spray. sooner or later when i have some cash i will be looking into a tiny gun for summer i still am looking at the NAA mini revolver or guardian.. and yes they are not normally in mass, but tackle unlimited has one in stoughton. so i may check that out , and while its a .22 its better than not carrying as you guys have told me :) i will have to try out all the other pocket pistols to see how the recoil is in those tiny guns like the lcr, bodyguard, kahr, pm9 etc.

Last edited:
You made some good choices there QBee. Don't forget to get a good thick belt, a gun belt perferally. With the weight of the gun and the spare mag. a regular belt will not cut it.

You can get a good belt through Andy (I'm ordering one soon from him) -Andy-Langlois

or through High Noon Holsters

www.highnoonholsters.com/belts .

Don't forget they have some nice holsters also

www.highnoonholsters.com

Remember you will need a magazine holder also

www.highnoonholsters.com/Magazine_Carriers

I laugh when I go to the doctors and they want my weight, I tell them "OK you will have to take 10 Lb's off of the weight you get".

I can't remember if someone has said it or not yet (I can't remember), but, when you start carrying try to avoid grapping your gun/holster and readjusting it. It's a dead giveaway and atenttion you don't want directed at you. Try to step off to the side or into a restroom and do your readjusting there.

It feels real funny when you start carrying and you feel like everyone is looking at you, that will pass the more you carry.

Congrats on getting your LTC, now get out there and enjoy. [thumbsup]

See Ya

David

i felt weird picking up a box of ammo from walmart.. soooo surreal after watching mr. moore's videos and walking out and seeing all the un aware sheep.. it really hit me tonight .. just how different i think already..

i plan on carrying the extra mag, or two lol in my purse instead of on the belt just to save my hips from some more weight.

i own a heavy duty Nylon weave belt from Burton Snowboards , that i might give a try before i turn to leather.

i own a heavy duty Nylon weave belt from Burton Snowboards , that i might give a try before i turn to leather.

I don't think that will work out for you, give it a try, like you said it might work. Nylon most times isn't strong enough to carry the weight, even a thick one.

Try it though and see what happens.

Good Luck [thumbsup]

if you want to try some out I just saw these today at flint armament in fall river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ,

Thanks for the referral...Queen Bee, We have lots of styles and colors to pick from. We are located at 1068 Slade Street in Fall River. We would love to show you our operation if you are in town!

Roger

I would recommend going to First Defense in Uxbridge, MA they have a wall of holsters that Dennis and Shelly allow you to try out. Maybe give them a call to see if they have some for the specific firearm and that way you can get a feel for the different holsters. I did this with ankle holsters and found that it isn't a way I want to carry. They do carry Galco, Blackhawks, DeSantis, & Crossbreeds, plus others.

Good Luck! And don't feel bad if you end up with a bunch of holsters that don't work for you.

thank you. i got an Email back from them saying they have a crossbreed supertuck in.. im glad i waited instead of ordering online.. im going to head up there asap when i get the firearm . im wondering if i should lightly line the kydex shell with something softer to save the finish on the firearm..?

i will head down to Fall river that same day as well. that day is going to be crazy. now i have 4 places i need to visit the day i pick up the firearm,

i can't wait to try out the crossbreed holster. im hoping the horsehide leather backing is not huge to affect my movement and it should flex. if im unsatisfied with it i can just slap on a minimalist Ctac comp-tac holster for IWb. i can definitly see me needing a small gun. for the days when i don't want to wear jeans and a baggy shirt.

they say the horsehide is a lil stiffer than the leather but handle moisture better and feels nicer against bare skin if no undershirt. think i'll be picking up one myself for my pm9

AWARE.org classes are a good source of information. They have lots of female instructors who have carried for many years. (They'd get mad if I told you how many years.) I know enough about fitting holsters to the female form to shut up and refer ladies to AWARE. They will take very good care of you.

thanks coach:) i will check that out.

god now i know why people buy so many handguns... i bought an hk uspc , and im already looking for a Glock 26 for better ccw.... who slipped the glock addiction into my kool aid??

I picked up the crossbreed holster they had, it was the cowhide leather in black, and i actually liked it better, a little softer and i like the black on black. It almost disapeared but the second i bent down when i had to come up the shirt just folded into the opening inbetween my back and gun. I need to adjust the cant ive found on the front facing one to do a little more extreme, and its at about 5 oclock for it to hide well

OK heres the update:
when i got this home i immediatly found an allen wrench sitting around the punched the roll pin out of the mag release lever , and switched it out to the much larger, easier to actuate with my middle finger release lever from the the HK45c
]

Looks like you bought some real nice stuff there, good choices.

Back
Top Bottom