• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need someone to sharpen a knife

I bought a cool little boot dagger with 440c steel for $15. i can't get a good edge on it with my sharpeners because the factory edge needs to be reindexed. When i look at it with a loop it squiggles off center and at the tip the two edges don't line up. I need someone to center the edges and put symmetrical shoulders on it, so i can touch it up periodically with my Spyderco Sharp Maker. Does anyone have a guy in thee Boston area?

These gents have helped me out since my injury/surgery. I don't know if they will do what you are asking but it is worth a call, no?

http://www.dabucci.com/

Knife Sharpening Services in Stoneham, Massachusetts

For the best knife sharpening services you can find, turn to D.A. Bucci & Sons, Inc. in Stoneham, Massachusetts. We are the best at what we do.

Knife Sharpening Without a Contract
If you are a commercial customer, simply contact us with your order and we will begin your sharpening service with no contract. You can enjoy our convenient service without a long-term commitment.

Non-commercial customers, please visit our shop in Stoneham, Massachusetts, for service. Keep in mind that we cannot guarantee same-day service for personal knives, scissors, and garden tools.

with some practice you can sharpen a knife easily,,,youre spyderco sharpener is fine, youll need a good steel and practice. i have no training but withe a carbide sharpener like yours and a wustoff trident steel my knives can split an atom lol

It's a cool little boot dagger for 15$ ....that said resharp down here in Halifax/ bridgewater line did a fantastic job repairing my bowie knife my brother f up hard. Cost me 20 bucks 8 years ago to fix it.
Big problem with knifes today is the edge just does not hold well...

There are a few potential issues as I see it. 1) you bought a knife that cost $15, and are expecting a perfect edge from it. 2) even though said perfection can be done, unless you do it yourself, any pro sharpening to correct that edge will most certainly cost more than the knife itself (not sure if this is even an issue for you). 3) the steel used in cheaper knives will not hold a really good edge, or if you can get it sharp, it won't last.

Pics of the knife?

- - - Updated - - -

It's hard to get a fine edge on those double edged boot knives.

Even my lansky won't do it.

That has always been my experience as well... The main reason seems to be the geometry and thickness of the blade more than anything. These were designed first and foremost as stabbing tools, and as with a bayonet, really don't need a keen edge for their intended use.

Last edited:
Guys You will find that many double edged boot knives are not made for slicing and dicing, They are made to inflict as much injury as possible. That is why a dull knife is the most dangerous as it tares and does not slice, making the wound and other items that were cut very difficult and even impossible repair.

Stick and twist [wink]

I bought a cool little boot dagger with 440c steel for $15. i can't get a good edge on it with my sharpeners because the factory edge needs to be reindexed. When i look at it with a loop it squiggles off center and at the tip the two edges don't line up. I need someone to center the edges and put symmetrical shoulders on it, so i can touch it up periodically with my Spyderco Sharp Maker. Does anyone have a guy in thee Boston area?

If you get up to the north shore ,Groveland area sometime I'll take a whack at it.

S&W HRT Boot dagger, steel should be soft, get a diamond hone to break down the edge, then use a croc stick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087BGXZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its a cheap knife based on the price and country of origin, but this is a high value knife because of the G10 scales, 440c, and the blade steel extends throughout the entire handle. The leather sheath is a bonus.

Thanks for the leads i don't mind spending $10-$12 to get the edge right. I am a bit compulsive about having razor sharp knives. I'd be embarrassed if I ever had a gear check by a friend with that edge. I get what everyone is saying about the tactics of a dagger. Most of my knives are are Spyderco, Kershaw, and Ontario with better steel than 440c, but 440c isn't too bad. I don't need it to hold the edge because it isn't a utility or EDC. Once sharp, it will stay that way. if I have to touch it up, i can strop or swipe a few times on the fine ceramic rod.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087BGXZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its a cheap knife based on the price and country of origin, but this is a high value knife because of the G10 scales, 440c, and the blade steel extends throughout the entire handle. The leather sheath is a bonus.

Thanks for the leads i don't mind spending $10-$12 to get the edge right. I am a bit compulsive about having razor sharp knives. I'd be embarrassed if I ever had a gear check by a friend with that edge. I get what everyone is saying about the tactics of a dagger. Most of my knives are are Spyderco, Kershaw, and Ontario with better steel than 440c, but 440c isn't too bad. I don't need it to hold the edge because it isn't a utility or EDC. Once sharp, it will stay that way. if I have to touch it up, i can strop or swipe a few times on the fine ceramic rod.
Of course it is a matter of personal preference when it comes to a dagger, but I hope you aren't sharpening your bayonets!

Back
Top Bottom