• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need some advice on OWB carry...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Hey all,

Well, after years of OWB carry, thanks to my new Dr. here in MO, I finally found out what was causing long term pain in my hips...my carry belt (Hanks) and the tightness I need to wear it to hold my CZ-75 PCR (Basically a CZ-75 compact) or really, any other firearm I want to wear from falling off my hips. I was literally crushing my hips.

I have no butt to speak of and the only way I can think of to carry is wearing suspenders which I hate!

I have a bit of a gut but that's not the issue....every one of the guys in my family has the same body type...basically a V shaped torso and no butt. My mom used to send me to school with suspenders as a kid in elementary school because belts wouldn't hold my pants up. In high school I would wear tight jeans so I didn't have to wear suspenders....much to my mother's chagrin.

I can't wear a chest type holster as there's no real way for my to hide it. I've tried IWB but I still have to pull my belt so tight to keep my britches up that I end up in pain again.

I'm hoping someone can help me here...maybe someone here has the same issue and can help me out here.

The only thing I can carry right now is my LCP in my pocket but I may as well be carrying a cap gun.

Start a diet for overall better health and go see a physical therapist to help correct your hip strength… I’m guessing you might have knee trouble as well — all connected.

Maybe consider swapping out your carry for a P365 — something lighter weight
Nope, no knee trouble to speak of...the only knee trouble I have is related to a skiing injury I had in the 70's when I dislocated it and even that is very infrequent. The only time I notice it is when I am hiking for extended periods with a heavy pack. Even when I was in the best of shape, I still had this problem. I never knew what was causing this chronic hip pain for years until I moved out here. I stopped wearing the OWB CZ a couple of weeks ago, loosened the belt a bit and no more pain.

I could try my CZ-82 OWB but that's not much better than a LCP.

Have you tried one of those ratcheting gun belts yet? That’s what I use and it’s ten x better than old fashioned belts with spaced holes. Those were either too loose or too tight for me. Other than that try a shoulder holster, unless you don’t have any shoulders either. lol 🤷‍♂️

Have you tried one of those ratcheting gun belts yet? That’s what I use and it’s ten x better than old fashioned belts with spaced holes. Those were either too loose or too tight for me. Other than that try a shoulder holster, unless you don’t have any shoulders either. lol 🤷‍♂️
I've actually been looking at those...they aren't even all that expensive from what I remember. 50-70 dollars. It might be worth a try.

Shoulder holsters are too hard to conceal and yep...I have the shoulders. LOL

I have a different body type than you, I'm shaped like a piece of rebar. I like a scandium 357 in an appendix holster. I know a few guys like you and a shoulder holster is probably your best bet.

I have a different body type than you, I'm shaped like a piece of rebar. I like a scandium 357 in an appendix holster. I know a few guys like you and a shoulder holster is probably your best bet.
It's just too hard to conceal.

I've actually been looking at those...they aren't even all that expensive from what I remember. 50-70 dollars. It might be worth a try.

Keep the LCP in your pocket as a quick distractor and a .38 on the ankle?

It's just too hard to conceal.

You can dress around that. A 5.11 parka works great for me for concealing a full sized Glock or Sig. There was an NESer a long time ago can't remember who, who wore custom taylored shirts that covered a shoulder rig really well, wore them untucked and could fool you. He was shaped like you as well IIRC.

@timbo

what belt are you using? If belt has to be tight i suspect some of the issue may be belt related.

if you’re willing to try AIWB I can make some suggestions for equipment.

I OWB carry for woods carry. The specific rig is a Galco Combat Master for a Browning Hi Power Mark III. I don't mind the weight of the gun and I find it to be "assuring" through the days of hiking, hunting, etc.

My main gripe is that the Combat Master lets in too much moisture and pine needles. If I sweat and get wet, like on a hot summer day or if I'm in a swamp or the trees are wet, that goes onto the gun and in the holster. So, I'm considering getting with the 21st Century and switching to a kydex holster and a G17 with Aimpoint ACRO P2.

OWB carry is pretty comfortable and if my day job didn't involve being at courthouses and jails and prisons every day, OWB would be my go to for everything. Do I recommend it? Yes, if you wear loose fitting clothes and you don't spend a lot of time in a car. AIWB is supposed to be the go-to for people who spend a lot of time driving.

The situations in which I OWB carry are ones where I don't care if I'm seen carrying - like if I'm in the woods or I'm in town clearly dressed in hiking or hunting clothes. Never been bothered by anyone.

Oh, and just to add, I've always had an ample ass, so wearing a belt with a 2lbs gun has never been a problem for me. I can easily wear baggy cargo pants *without* a belt no problem. A belt is something I wear because either the situation requires it (suit) or I need to attach things, like a holster or chaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

This. I bought one for carrying and now I have a couple that I wear for everyday use. I will look up the brand later. Have had it for at least 3 years now and zero sign of wear and tear. As some others have recommended… as someone who wasn’t blessed with a backside squats (eve body weight squats) help.

I bought a Kore ratcheting gun belt about a year ago and it’s definitely a much better gun belt than any spaced hole gun belt. Infinite adjustment plus you can tighten or loosen it very discreetly which I find myself doing several times a day depending on if I’m sitting or walking. I carry a P938 in a Milt Sparks VM II 3 - 3:30 IWB and it’s very comfortable. Switching over to a P365XL once I get my new VM II for that pistol (should be this week or next).

I have the belly band and would lower it just a bit to hold my pants up, which worked reasonably well while walking. I know wear a belt .

Or, if you can handle a litttle pain . Have your stomach stapled, lose 100lbs in 3 months, and with the sagging skin , staple some skin folds to form a pouch and youll be able to carry anything you want. 😉 20211207_064341.jpg

I have one of those belts. It won't help. I am not carrying now because the IWB holster is causing me back pain. I carry a Shield 45 at the 4 o'clock position. Learned this was the issue when I went on vacation for a week without carrying and the pain went away. Thinking about an ankle holster.

Look into the different types of shoulder rigs, I've used a S&W rig with a S&W 59 and was able to conceal it very well. This is the vertical type of shoulder holster with tie downs on both sides, Not a small setup but the way everything was held, all I did was throw a shirt or jacket over it and it was gone to all eyes. And it even helps hold you pants up.

I have the same issue with IWB. Squats won't do squat ;) if you don't have the ass to begin with
Sounds like you and i have the same exact struggle . Im a very thin build and have a slight beer gut. Ive tried several types of unsuccessful carry methods , and i have settled upon using a High Noon skin guard owb appendix carry and a 9mm Beretta Nano for cold weather coat / hoodie concealment , and for summer tee shirt weather i pocket carry a Kimber Micro 380 in a Desantis Nemasis holster. Its pretty much impossible for me to conceal under a tee shirt alone in summer

I have the same exact issue. about 2 years ago, I found a combination of equipment that pretty much solved the problem. I carry IWB for work on a daily basis, and the problem went away after i used this combo.
1) Carry a lighter pistol. I chose a Glock 19, for reasons explained below.
2) Crossbreed gun belt. It’s the stiffest sturdiest belt Ive found, and I’ve been through most. I bet you could hold the belt straight out with the holster on it and it’d still be horizontal. All this while still being a normal, comfortable feeling belt.
3) G-Code IWB holster, with a wife beater tucked in. whatever that tacky material they put on the exterior of the holster is, it actually HELPS to keep the pants up. The holster sits in between your pants, and the wife beater… and essentially acts like a giant piece of double sided tape, keeping everything in place. G-code only makes holsters fora a select few pistols, which is why i chose the glock.
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom