• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need help: Memorial Day laying of the Flag, honoring WO John 'Fitzi' Fitzgerald, KIA 4/12/68 buried Norwood Mass.

I promised my Crewchief I'd be there to honor our Rat gun pilots 'Fitz' on Memorial Day 2022. I can do it alone, but it's going to be rough. Any support, thoughts prayers, Deeds. would be appreciated from my NES Brothers. CWO John Francis Fitzgerald (1947-1968) - Find a...

Frenchy (Rat187)
187th AHC

Last edited:
i was too young to be drafted, but when i went to Washington about 30 years ago, we did the regular tour.

when we got to the Memorial, i could not actually go up to it. Didn't know anyone on the wall,
just the thought of those names of young men brought me to tears. God bless all. 😢

Thanks all, Brothers. I felt a little embarrassed last night after I posted, and subsequently tried to pull a @Fishfinder...lol Toooo much Vino.

Today was beautiful, so I shook off whatever was bothering me and visited 'Fitzzy' and his parents. Fitzzy's was an only child. I found out his Dad was with the 82nd Airborne's, 'Battling Bastards of Bastogne.' I was declassifying a lot of our records at the National Archives, including hostile/non-hostile crashed aircraft incidents, thus the 6-7 hits of .51 fire and thus a snapped tail-boom at treetop level, non survivable in a Huey gunship. What do you say to the parents of a Vet, that lost their only child at the age of twenty years? I remember calling his home some 33 years ago and his mother picked up, I told her 'I was in the 187th's gun platoon and knew her son', "let me pass you over my husband". I guess God spoke through me and I blurted out, "though your Son died, know that he did not die in vain; as he saved the lives of many grunts that would have never made it home without his sacrifice. The line went dead I, until I realized his Dad was crying, "Son I want to meet you." Damn we met, I wish I could have been a better replacement son, but we had a good family chat today....

Back
Top Bottom