I need help deciding please, want to compete.

USPSA IDPA NCIA ADPP BIANCHI.... OUCH! My head is spinning!

A work associate recently invited me to a pistol match at a club I won't name. It was well organized, and everyone was encouraged to shoot, and the rules were I suspect relaxed so everyone could participate and have fun. So my buddy and I who belong to another club watched, and we're hooked. We don't know what the various disciplines and sponsors of competitions are. So we got permission to do quick draw with no mags inside our club, and have been practicing with four targets in one lane, drop a mag and move to a second lane with 5 small paper plates to represent steel targets. We use my phone stop watch ap to record times and add points for misses. Point is, instead of getting bored after and hour, the competition and watching and helping each other keeps us there for hours on end and we love it! And we get better every time we practice.

We're both family guys, so we wouldn't want to travel more than an hour or so to other clubs competitions.

This is the first year for a LONG time I have enough money saved for a new gun, and may never again. so, I want to buy a new pistol to compete with. I have all kinds of macho guns, and I'm not looking to be a big shot (no pun intended) I just want the best pistol I can afford and get it right the first time. I'm really loving the Baretta 92/96 and the A1 looks interesting. Then I spotted the INOX, which I'd go the extra $ for because I'll probably have this gun forever. Then I saw the VORTEC on you tube, but Baretta doesn't show it on their website, an it has a tapered mag well for competition and such, but I don't see a price anywhere online. I see drawing from concealed, and from fancy hi tech holsters, another reason I haven't bought more equipment yet.

So I figure, I'll NEVER know which Baretta to buy until I find out what discipline of shooting I will be involved in. So my questions are,

1. What kind of competitions are most popular in the Easter MA area? I'm from the South Shore.

2. Is there one which requires a non modified gun? I can't afford a new "addiction" where the guys with the most money have the best equipment and make others non competitive.

3. Will any of these sponsors/organizations, help or provide materials/information to help me set up competitions at our club? City doesn't allow outdoor shooting.

4. I only own 2 pistols. A .22 and a .40. I tried my friends 9mm and thought wow, that's much easier to shoot. Should I stick with .40 and find someone to make me the right loads for competition, or get a 9mm. I don't reload but have saved all my .40 brass for years.

OK. See why I need help? I'm chomping at the bit for my new Baretta before the wife does something stupid like last year. Spent my saved up AR 15 money on a new furnace. I had been patching that boiler for 5 years and could have gotten ANOTHER five out of it. : )

Thanks for any help. I appreciate any input.

What 40 do you have and what do you have for gear/accessories for it? I'd recommend trying out some matches with what you have before you buy something. The most common action matches around here are IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge. Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford (rgnb.org) shoots all 3 on different days.

If buying from scratch, I'd start with a plastic 9mm. Glock 17/34 or M&P Fullsize/Pro. All of these sports have divisions where mostly box stock guns are competitive. Put on good sights and get a decent trigger and you're good to go. If you're set on the Beretta, that's not a bad choice, though I personally find the DA/SA trigger system much harder to learn. That said, this years Production National Champion shot a Beretta.

What gun is the 40sw? In the beginning and then when you get good, it doesn't matter what caliber you shoot, so it basically it comes down to cost, the best bet is shoot what you have then go from there.

A Beretta might not be the best gun for USPSA production or IDPA whatever.
I would look for the following
SW M&P Pro 9mm
XD 5.25 9mm
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow
of course non of them are easy to get in MA

You can shoot USPSA or IDPA every weekend, shoot both and decide which you like better. IDPA is easier for a new shooter

For USPSA matches
www.uspsa-ne.org
every weekend will be a match with in about 1 1/2hr or less

Also, you can shoot your 22 in steel challenge. If you can beg/borrow or steal 5 magazines for it, Harvard has a Steel Challenge match tomorrow. I'd be happy to squad with you and help guide you through your first match. SC is a great place to start because you don't have to move (except one stage) or reload on the clock. You can focus only on the shooting.

I am on Cape Cod. I have access to an outdoor range and although limited, I have experience in these games. I have sources for minor power factor 40S&W ammo and other gear. I have gear you can try to see what you like.

Best e mail is TY43215 at comcast.net

Edit to add: Most matches I go to are more than a 1 hour drive. The Steel Challenge at Harcard is 2 1/4hrs. I don't drink, I don't smoke so I shoot and burn gasoline [smile]

Last edited:
Wow. Wasn't expecting so much so soon. Those threads provided up top were good. I did a search before I posted but didn't find them. There's NO doubt I'm getting a Beretta. Just cant decide the cal or model. If I had to identify for the police the person who shot at me and ran away, I'd probably be able to list all the details of the Beretta that was used and add at the end, "Oh ya, and she was naked and looked a lot like Pamela Anderson." I just gotta have one since I held one in my hand the other day. Woulda handed over the cash on the spot but they wouldn't let me dry fire it even one time to feel the trigger pull. Lost sale for them cuz I found it 60 bucks cheaper the same day just talking with a friend.

Anyhooo... Thanks for the invite tomorrow, but my buddy and I are shooting Sunday. I have a S&W SigmaV40. I did a trigger job to it and it is way better. Using a crisp holster, wide black belt and have 4 mag holders on it and one on the holster. Just happened to have this set up because I bought it to wear on my property in Maine when I used to work there a lot clearing brush and blazing trails and building my road. Bears everywhere. My shooting buddy has a CZ something or other. Nothings hard to get in assachusetts if you know how. I like how it shoots in a 9, but I'm shooting a few seconds faster than him consistently. Maybe I should share his 9 next few practices and see what happens.

PS Thanks for all the great feedback. From the answers, I'm even more confused on the 9 vs 40 issue though.

if you are going to shoot a standard factory gun that is not a 1911, then you will more than likely shoot Production division in USPSA. Everyone is scored minor in Production, doesn't matter if you shoot 9mm,40,45. It is all scored like its 9mm, so there is no reason not to shoot 9mm, especially since it is a lot cheaper.

Every other division is scored major or minor depending on what you are shooting, factory 9mm is minor, 40/45 is usually scored major. Shooting minor in a division where everyone else is shooting major is a losing proposition. the only division there is any benefit is Single Stack, since 9mm can run 10 rounds compared to 8 of 40 or 45

USPSA is the way to go.

There is this evil monster called IDPA that you want to stay away from. Stick to a 9mm, you'll probably start off in Production and the .40 gives you no advantage in any way.

Well, the season is almost over, but there are a few more places to shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge. If you already have a gun, you should start out with it and shoot a few matches. You will also get to see what other shoot and maybe see why some guns are more popular than others..
http://www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.asp

I shoot with a Beretta 92FS in USPSA Production (The closest IDPA equivalent is Stock Service Pistol or SSP). I shoot it because it's what I have and am comfortable with. As people have pointed out, the polymer-framed striker-fired guns (M&P, XD, Glock) are very popular, but that doesn't mean you can't be competitive with a Beretta.

Of course, I'm generally pretty low in the standings after a match, but that's more due to my inexperience than my gun.

Back
Top Bottom