I need an eradication method that actually works on wasps

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a yellow jacket nest under my porch and used a can of wasp and bee spray, the bastards are still flying in and out. Have we created super bees?
I had gotten attacked by some from a nest under my deck. It was about the size of a cantaloupe. I crawled under there during early morning, and blasted them. Knocked the nest down and crushed it. The queen was ginormous. Later, I noticed about a half dozen still flying around. Next morning, I checked -- they were rebuilding the nest form a tiny chunk of the former nest that was left hanging.

Rick8325

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ground wasps (probably yellow jackets in your case) are extremely aggressive but extremely easy to get rid of. OP: I don't know your location but if you're close to mine I have some pretty good stuff.

-Rick
Mass. Licensed Pest & Animal Control

Michele

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
boilong water works. Use the hot water from cooking your veggies on pison ivy and ground wasps!!
Couple summers ago I did this on an underground nest and it worked perfectly. Blocked up two other entry ways then poured a big pot of boiling water in. 11 pm when all of them were in there. Nobody left to rebuild.

Sent from an iPhone Star-Trek Communicator

Tackdriver

NES Member
Rating - 99.7%
342   1   0
When I was a kid, my dad used kerosene on underground nests. Worked every time. Just pored it on the nest.

Dave

rudiewhitebwoy

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
About 10 years ago my neighbor across the street had ground bees living under the slab of his back porch. He tried water, fire, Sevin and all the other sprays to no avail. Then he pulled out an old Elextrolux vacuum and put the nozzle of the hose about three inches from the main nest entrance. He covered the vacuum hose with dirt, made a makeshift roof over the vacuum, and let it run for a entire week 24/7. At the end of the week, he duct taped over the nozzle and put it out for the trash. No more bees.

Two Saturdays back at work, two of my guys and I actually shot a 20" Bald Faced Wasp nest with .410 #9 Bird Shot, after we were closed, of course. I can't believe how well it worked. There was only one stray still alive. We always have bees/hornets/wasps etc building nests under the lumber wrappers. It's a nice dry spot that we can't spray without ripping the end of the wrapper up. Back in the 80's we used to burn'em, but the insurance company frowns on that. I don't think I'll be disclosing the new method to the insurance company.

Bees.jpg

Last edited:

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Kerosene - works every time - at dusk, pour - wait (usually long enough to put the kerosene back in the shed) - light it up.

I can't do it with my current issue, a White Face Wasp nest in my evergreen tree in my front yard. The size of a basketball, and still buzzing. I hit it last night with spray and again this am, I would like to save it but it's in the branches enough it would cause a huge bald spot - facing the house.

A long stick it next or perhaps a machete and rapid retreat.

Last edited:

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
I
I had a yellow jacket nest in the attic earlier this summer. I could hear the bastards eating the joists every night. $100 of wasp killer at Home Depot had zero effect. A call to an exterminator, who was there THAT day, pumped some dust into the seam they were using to get in, and that was the end of that. I'm sure we have some NES professional exterminators, but I have to put in a plug for General Environmental Services who really helped me out.

Call a pro. It's worth it in situations like this.

Chris
[wave]

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is cheap and safe...might want to give it a shot.[video=youtube_share;XF42nrZvb-g]http://youtu.be/XF42nrZvb-g[/video]

I might be tempted to call bs on that vidio.
Go ahead and shine a light down an active ground nest of yellow jackets at night.
Benadryl and baking soda.

yanici

NES Member
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
Damn!! 'Nother wasp got me yesterday, right on the neck. When I woke up today I had a huge double chin. Been icing it all day to get it back down. Luckily only one bite this time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was lucky one time and was actually able to pull the bee stinger out right after I got stung. Best bee sting I ever had. They got me again on the way in the house and so I had to bomb them with spray that night. Luckily that worked. (That plus promptly filling the holes.)

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im at the point now where the exterior of my house is being overun by Yellow Jackets, something must be in the air or something because my house is litterally surrounded by them and Ive NEVER seen this many around ever. There is at least 4 or 5 different spots in my house vinyl siding where they are nesting, very difficult to combat. Yesterday I took out a swarm of them while hanging outside my bathroom window hitting an eve near my roof about 40 feet from the ground.

The war Rages on............

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ended up using the dishwashing-liquid-plus-garden-hose-at-night method to take out the nest and it worked. Then a week later my kid got stung again cutting the grass...they had apparently re-occupied the original nest, or the spray had not taken out the entire nest. Plus I have another nest in my gutter and a small one on my basketball hoop. This is absurd.

It sounds like the dust of death is good stuff but, of course, I can't get it in Mass. From what I can tell, Ficam is unobtanium in the US. I tried to buy some tempo dust online and they wouldn't ship to Mass.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I ended up using the dishwashing-liquid-plus-garden-hose-at-night method to take out the nest and it worked. Then a week later my kid got stung again cutting the grass...they had apparently re-occupied the original nest, or the spray had not taken out the entire nest. Plus I have another nest in my gutter and a small one on my basketball hoop. This is absurd.

It sounds like the dust of death is good stuff but, of course, I can't get it in Mass. From what I can tell, Ficam is unobtanium in the US. I tried to buy some tempo dust online and they wouldn't ship to Mass.
Available from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Tempo-dust-Dust-Insecticide-BA1011/dp/B004H4CC7Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Have it shipped to a friend in NH.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This chap has rid my property of skunks, bird nests, bald faced hornets, and chipmunks. http://www.wildlifecontrolma.com/

There are loads of yellow jackets this year. I've been stung 4 times so far this summer. The price I pay for playing with my kids outside.

I also notice that the robins disappeared in July this year. The suckers were everywhere early in the summer, now there's not one left in my neighborhood. Hasnt been one around for months.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never seen a year like this for bees.
Sometimes 5-6 calls a day.
Been stung 6 times already.
Labor day weekend I almost got it in my own yard.
We were spreading loam right by a big rhododendron and heard them before I looked up to see a huge bald faced nest I somehow missed all summer.
Grabbed the boy by the collar and told him to back out slow a quiet.
As much as I hate to say it , I almost welcome the 1st good frost.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use dish soap and a super soaker. It works great and is way cheaper then those lame spray cans.

From what Ive read, wasps breath through holes in their exoskeletons which are protected from water by oils. The dish soap washes away the oils and allows water to plug the holes and they drown.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also use food grade diatomaceous earth. It's non-toxic, you could even eat it if you wanted to.

It's a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It's abrasive to insects and scratches their exoskeletons to the point where they dehydrate and die.

I used it around my house to kill ants. It worked great. It'll work on wasps as well. Sprinkle it into their holes and they'll take care of the rest by walking through it.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this seems effective AND you have nice art afterward:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went out today to inspect the lawn for nests again because I was going to use the dish soap trick again tonight. I did not see a single wasp. What I did see was significant enlargement of the holes where they had been nesting. I also noticed some honeycomb nest material lying on the grass next to the hole. So, apparently, some benevolent critter sniffed out these wasps one night, dug up the nest, and feasted on the larvae. Thank you benevolent critter!

Anyone have any idea what did this? Skunk? Fishercat?

Top Bottom