I might have gotten ripped off..

So I went to go buy a Bulgarian AK74 that was never fired,and it looked like someone chopped it into pieces..No wonder it was never fired..

WTF???

DSC00840.jpg

[smile]

Last edited:
Look on the bright side, you finally got that AK74 jig saw puzzle you have been looking for. And it come pre-dissassembled. Now, you just need to get a welder and you should be all set. [grin]

All kidding aside, watch, the barrel is not separable from the old receiver and you really did get screwed... [wink]

How much was the kit?

I bought 3 of them from ORF a couple of years ago. IIRC I paid around $229 each. I built 2 of them, still have 1 left. Copes had some recently (in ban configurtion, welded MD and bayo lug) for around $350 IIRC.

I'm totally confused. Can someone explain.

Demilled parts kit. Basically because BATFE is a bunch of douchebags they force people (the importers) to destroy/cut up perfectly good rifles because, heaven forbid, someone might end up with a usable machinegun.

-Mike

Demilled parts kit. Basically because BATFE is a bunch of douchebags they force people (the importers) to destroy/cut up perfectly good rifles because, heaven forbid, someone might end up with a usable machinegun.

-Mike

oh my god why have I not done this yet!

Does anyone know a reasonably priced place to buy a kit?
I hate this site. I'm going broke being a member.

What the dr said..plus now as an added bonus,they chop up the barrels as well !!!

Basically you buy a kit then get a receiver and the correct # of US made parts to make a rifle.

Although after everything is said and done(parts,paying someone to build and refinish ,buying the reciever),this rifle will be a lot more expensive than the SGL31 K-Var is selling..But mine will look better [smile]

Last edited:
What the dr said..plus now as an added bonus,they chop up the barrels as well !!!

Basically you buy a kit then get a receiver and the correct # of US made parts to make a rifle.

correct # of US made parts?
I thought these were complete kits minus the receiver?

So you buy a kit, buy a receiver and slap it together? I'm oversimplifying?

correct # of US made parts?
I thought these were complete kits minus the receiver?

So you buy a kit, buy a receiver and slap it together? I'm oversimplifying?

Ya,it's nothing like building an AR or a FAL..A lot more complicated,so much I'm not even going to attempt it..To be legal,you have to have the correct # of US made parts,7 I think.A law was passed a few years ago that makes NOT doing this a felony(I think) The only rilfes that DON"T have to have the US parts are rifles that were imported before the ban,like Poly's,Norinco etc..

This is a federal law,not MA.

Ya,it's nothing like building an AR or a FAL..A lot more complicated,so much I'm not even going to attempt it..To be legal,you have to have the correct # of US made parts,7 I think.A law was passed a few years ago that makes NOT doing this a felony(I think) The only rilfes that DON"T have to have the US parts are rifles that were imported before the ban,like Poly's,Norinco etc..

This is a federal law,not MA.
Ah I see. There had to be some stupidity involved. I'll blame Nancy Pelosi.

Ah I see. There had to be some stupidity involved. I'll blame Nancy Pelosi.

Just like every other federal gun law that sucks,you can blame the Republicans,the gun owners "friend".

This law was '04 or '06 .

I'm not sure when they were enacted,I just know what they are and obey them like a good sheep.

When Grant gets back to this thread,he could most likely give you exact dates and all the other stuff.

Last edited:
I think you have to do the "922R compliance funhouse dance" on these kits.

BTW, IIRC this 922R crap is a present from GWB Sr. in 1989. It was put into place via an executive order. It's basically a bunch of anti gun, and also protectionist crap.
(It basically makes rifles like AK's more expensive than they really need to be in the US. )

ETA: BATFE has also recently gotten more retarded about these kits in the past few years, but that's another story- they've used "administrative fiat" to try to stop/limit importation of these kits- so now they cost 2 times what they used to.

One thing is because you usually replace the receiver with a US receiver, that brings the count down by at least one from what it is normally...

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Lots of guys replace furniture, maybe the piston, maybe fire control group,
etc to make the numbers right in the end.

IIRC LoginName and some other guys here have built some really nice AKs. My understanding is that the biggest PITA is that you need some kind of a jig and a multi-ton arbor press to fit the barrel into the new receiver.

See Also:
http://howtobuildanaktyperifle.com/

-Mike

Last edited:
I have built many of them. I bend my own receivers from sheet metal flats, but you can also start with a finished receiver from someone like NDS or Wellco.
My website is primarily directed towards AK building. www.gunco.net

I just got another AK74 kit in,and the same thing happened..They cut the damn thing in half,I knew it was cheap for a reason.

7.62,I registered under another name..this is the only site I used my real name..believe it or not there used to be only about 30 people here..LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom