I.M.R. powders

Anyone try the new I.M.R. red/blue/green/pink/gingham or like powders?

Used to use a lot of SR4756 for 38. spl lead-loads, was ( I thought) a lot cleaner burning than other stuff I had tried. Currently using bullseye, gets the job done.

Any of that new stuff comparable to 4756?

Anyone try the new I.M.R. red/blue/green/pink/gingham or like powders?

Used to use a lot of SR4756 for 38. spl lead-loads, was ( I thought) a lot cleaner burning than other stuff I had tried. Currently using bullseye, gets the job done.

Any of that new stuff comparable to 4756?
your best bet would be emailing IMR I wish they put in the descriptions of there new powders the "similar" burn rate or loading to XYZ powder

There are no doubt advances in powder qualities and manufacturing techniques, but I think it's mostly a marketing ploy of "new and improved" just to give an excuse for higher prices. Most of these "new generation" powders seem to command higher prices (at least at most outlets where I've seen them).

Yea, can't argue that.
I did call tech support a while back when it was announced 4756 would no longer be manufactured.
And although I did get some info (hp 38/win 231 being the same powder charge weights across everything), the guy on the other end of the phone pretty much read verbatim the load data listed on the hodgdon website.
All I got , pretty much, was a long drawn out non-answer.

Figured I'd ask here to see if anyones tried any of the new stuff since its been out a while.

I will try the e-mail route, I might get a better answer going that direction.

If I get anything back, I will put it here.

Yea, can't argue that.
I did call tech support a while back when it was announced 4756 would no longer be manufactured.
And although I did get some info (hp 38/win 231 being the same powder charge weights across everything), the guy on the other end of the phone pretty much read verbatim the load data listed on the hodgdon website.
All I got , pretty much, was a long drawn out non-answer.

Figured I'd ask here to see if anyones tried any of the new stuff since its been out a while.

I will try the e-mail route, I might get a better answer going that direction.

If I get anything back, I will put it here.
You will be hard pressed to get a manufacture or distributor to say X powder is the same as Y
Although with such a swing in the powder lines IMR took it would be nice if they gave a little more info such as if you liked A powder our new B powder will give simular results with the XYZ improvements ?

Thats what I was hoping for when I had called originally. I figured with Hodgdon being the parent company to (or I'm guessing), and listing load data for Winchester and IMR, there'd be something out there in that new IMR line that would be a re-named equivalent.
At $30 a pound, experimenting can get expensive.

Based on the answer I got, none of the new lines are close to SR4756.

Oh well, I appreciate the info and insight gentlemen. I look forward to continue lurking here.

The question I posed by way of e-mail yesterday was-
Mornin
I was loading .38 spl with SR4756, and was having really good luck with it.
Unfortunately for me, I've depleted my supply and its no longer being produced.

I see there is a line of new powders ( Red, Green, Blue, etc)

Out of that line of new powders, which would be the most similar, or an exact replacement (as close as possible) to SR4756? (burn rate, pressure, etc)

Thank you in advance,
Dan

So the answer I got was-

I am sorry there would not be a direct replacement for this powder. 800X and HS6 would be the closest in burn speed to this powder.

Mike Van Dyke

Customer Service Representative

Hodgdon Powder Company

6430 Vista Drive

Shawnee, Ks. 66218

913-362-9455 Ext. 109

well there you go 800x and HS6 i know a lot of guys loading 800x powder BUT is 800 even made still. dont see it on thier web site or HS6
i though IMR eliminated the Hi-Skor line all together. Frustrating...
Call and see if you can get a ballistic tech on the line

I didn't see 800X either.
I might have a listing for it in the Hornady 7th book, but I don't think I saw it in the lyman cast 4th.
I think at this stage I'll see what any 2018 data gets published and go from there.

Call Glenn at Glenn's ammo & reloading and ask him. He's got a ton of expertise in reloading and powders. 978-664-0588

btw here's a burn rate charts I found that lists SR4756

#39 below
burnchart1601op.png

And here's the current 2017 burn rate chart below with the new IMR powders on it however SR4756 is missing. But combine the above chart with the below one and you'll find it would reside between 40 & 41 on the new chart linked below:

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/burn-rate-color.pdf

Last edited:
Ah so now it's hodgdon label IMR being dropped.
I wonder how long H will keep paying for the Win name?

I see by your sig you buy no good pos lee loading stuff.
How close are you on the south shore/ West Bridgewater/ Holbrook area?
I have 2 pro 1000's i'll give you and some shell plates.
If you can come get em, you can have em for nothin.

Back
Top Bottom