• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I love my Governor...never thought I would say that in Massachusetts

I know its ugly,
I know its impractical,
I know it is completely impossible to CC,

but I really like the S&W Governor.

Every once and a while a novelty is a good thing. Unless it's a Pontiac Aztec.

Since when is an Aztec a novelty lol? and didn't top gear conclude that's the worst car out there? I've liked the look of the governor, seems like it be a great snake gun.

Since when is an Aztec a novelty lol? and didn't top gear conclude that's the worst car out there? I've liked the look of the governor, seems like it be a great snake gun.

I will answer my own hypothetical question. Who wants an ugly underpowered crossover? Everyone in America, just not the Aztec. As for the snakes, if they come on my yard I will rush to get my governor take a picture with it and the snake, then go and lock it up and call animal control like a good sheep...

Hell I was even thinking about getting one!!!
Just liked the idea of a 410 in a handgun!!!

I know its ugly,
I know its impractical,
I know it is completely impossible to CC,

but I really like the S&W Governor.

Every once and a while a novelty is a good thing. Unless it's a Pontiac Aztec.

The Governor has a great use and my opinion is that it is ideal for home defense.

It's a shotgun in a pistol. All the firepower in a short package.

A buddy of mine just got one. had a chance to fire it at the range last week and have to say it definately has a "cool factor". It feels lighter than my riger sp101 but is longer and bulkier......but fun to shoot .410 shotshells through. We also fired .45 long colt through it and it is accurate and powerful. Good to have in the cannon safe in the bedroom I would say. CCW though.......maybe in the winter with a sweater or sweatshirt but summer time with a tshirt would be tough.

I like the 3 different round capability.It's a little big but is a good shooter with all three calibers. It's a gun that's VERY underrated.

governor.jpg

Yeah, especially for those two legged snakes that break into your home in the wee hours without realizing the Gov is "in the house"![grin]

It's an odd duck, that's for sure. I'm still surprised they put it out. Someone at S&W must have been a believer. I am not, however; too much of a gimmick gun. If I want a shotgun, I'll buy a shotgun.

Also: Walter White drives an Aztec, so...

k-bigpic.jpg

Last edited:
The Governor has a great use and my opinion is that it is ideal for home defense.

It's a shotgun in a pistol. All the firepower in a short package.

Nah look up some of the reviews I don't remember which one I saw but I looked up the judge the 45 and 45 lc woefully under perform because the chamber is loose and doesn't create a good seal the lc only gets like 8in which is crazy considering people used to drop bison with that round. The 410 is just a cool factor round not really much good for anything other than snakes. And if u want that get a 45 lc revolver and get cci 45 shot shells

my experience w governor was that .410 shot pattern was crazy wide....presumably in part due to rifling? at 10 yards the shot was literally everywhere. never experimented with .410 slugs but i think that might be the way to go given it's rifled. if there were some way to adapt a choke or different barrel to the governor then i would be all over it. YMMV.

A Judge is not a Governor.

Do you have, have you even seen, a Governor...or a Judge. If not, your opinion is very strong for something of which you have little knowledge.

Are the chambers rifled? So your basically shooting out of a 2 in barrel you only have 6 shots with a not super accurate gun which has a space between the cylinder and the barrel which causes velocity to drop? U do you tough guy but I'll take a nice beretta with 17 on tap over that clunky thing for my home defense gun. It's not a knock on ur Whoopi it's just stating there are combat handguns designed for the job that are better choices.

I have a Governor and I found it's a jack of all trades and a master of none. Other than for use as a range toy, it really doesn't have much use outside of home defense.

I haven't used small shot but only 00 buck. Three pellets, and they kept together very well. I can't remember the actual measurements, but a self defense range, they would all hit a man's chest.

Good enough for me.

^^^ This! ^^^

At 10yds, I get three (3) center-of-mass "Alphas" with one shot on a standard USPSA target. Wish I could do that in a match! [rofl]

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

Are the chambers rifled? So your basically shooting out of a 2 in barrel you only have 6 shots with a not super accurate gun which has a space between the cylinder and the barrel which causes velocity to drop? U do you tough guy but I'll take a nice beretta with 17 on tap over that clunky thing for my home defense gun. It's not a knock on ur Whoopi it's just stating there are combat handguns designed for the job that are better choices.

It's a revolver, dude, and a very well made one at that. It's as good and accurate a gun as any revolver.

Ok, now that we know you don't like revolvers, we can ignore all your revolver complaints.

my HD gun is a MIL thunder five with the .45-70 chamber.

This is from the truth about guns review of your precious gun
What you do get: a large, well-made, multi-caliber revolver. I’m sure there are a few situations where only a Smith & Wesson Governor will do. Snakes on a plain? Otherwise, the Governor appeals to two types of buyers: homeowners who don’t know any better and enthusiasts who couldn’t care less. This being America, consumers are free to buy the wrong gun for their needs. As for gun nuts looking for something a little nutty, your watermelons await. Over to you Roy . . .
I wasn't trying to insult you or your gun just saying I'd pick a different home defense gun. But you got a little sensitive so I really do think they are a novelty pos. As far as the rest of you revolver folks do you I'm not a recover guy only because I know I'll like them when I shoot them. Then I'll have to buy a python and an anaconda and a 500 and I just don't want to get into spending that kinda coin I do like revolvers just don't want to own one because I'll do what I did with semis and keep buying until I have the high end ones. I personally wouldn't have one for home defense because I suck at shooting so I want as many chances to win as I can get. If your confident that you can drop 2 guys in a shootout with 6 shots I'm happy for you

I figure If I can't hit a bg with 6 shots, I'm in real trouble.

With the spread of the three 00 buck balls (actually a .38 cal equiv), I figure I've got a lot better chance of hitting the bad guy... 18 pieces of 38 cal lead out of one gun sounds like good odds to me. Maybe I could knock down 2 guys with 6 shots....don't want to find out.

I'm not saying it's the only SD gun, but that it's a damned good one.

I just don't knock other people's choices, especially without first hand knowledge.

I wasn't knocking the gun I just said it wasnt a great home defnse choice. because it doesn't capitalize on the potential of any of the calibers it shoots. Personally I think it's a novelty gun that I wouldn't own but I have a ton of guns that I think are cool as hell that I'm sure I'd get crap for if I posted about them. Hell I have a Taurus 92fs nickel plated. If I posted I got that I'm sure I'd get heckled by every non Taurus fan. But I'm not going to personally call someone out for things that are true about it. Which is what the op did when I originally said it's not the best home defense gun. Which it isn't sorry but if you want a 45 and a shot gun get a glock and a 12 gauge or if you want 45 lc get something that shoots that well. And use them for home defense. And use your governor for what it is a range toy that you can have some fun with.

I wasn't knocking the gun I just said it wasnt a great home defnse choice. because it doesn't capitalize on the potential of any of the calibers it shoots. Personally I think it's a novelty gun that I wouldn't own but I have a ton of guns that I think are cool as hell that I'm sure I'd get crap for if I posted about them. Hell I have a Taurus 92fs nickel plated. If I posted I got that I'm sure I'd get heckled by every non Taurus fan. But I'm not going to personally call someone out for things that are true about it. Which is what the op did when I originally said it's not the best home defense gun. Which it isn't sorry but if you want a 45 and a shot gun get a glock and a 12 gauge or if you want 45 lc get something that shoots that well. And use them for home defense. And use your governor for what it is a range toy that you can have some fun with.

Back
Top Bottom