I love Maine!

On Maine island, several people with guns allegedly cut down tree to block driveway and force quarantine
The individuals were targeted because of their out-of-state license plate, according to a state representative.

Having taken a several day trip to NMW last year, I can vouch for Mainiacs being a different breed. Great state.

LOL!
The've been living and working in Maine since September..............Bwah HA HA!

And still have out-of-state plates and DL's ???

That's a criminal violation right there!
Maine gives you 30 days (same as Mass) to switch over your DL and vehicle registrations when you move.
If they've been living and working there since September, they obviously reside there.
So they've screwed Maine out of license fees, registration fees, inspection sticker fees and excise tax.
If they want to be treated like locals, they should have complied with the state laws and paid into the system.
In the long run they would have saved money because auto insurance and vehicle tax rates are far lower in Maine than in NJ.

Last edited:
Great state but did you know the story, f&ck the guys that cut the tree.

"There were some words between them and some locals, and the conversation apparently didn’t go very well. I did hear the guys from [New Jersey] were fairly arrogant in their response."

I'll take "Retard conference" for 1000, Alex...

-Mike

Maine gives you 30 days (same as Mass) to switch over your DL and vehicle registrations when you move.
If they've been living and working there since September, they obviously reside there.
So they've screwed Maine out of license fees, registration fees, inspection sticker fees and excise tax.
If they want to be treated like locals, they should have complied with the state laws and paid into the system.

Lol, who cares about them screwing the state? (residency is a nebulous, fleeting concept anyways, half the time. )

I agree them being tagged up wrong (especially for that period of time) makes them targets, though.

I am going to guess this story goes deeper than what we've been told, too. but it's probably still a retard conference
kind of deal.

-Mike

The State does, and they really hate it when you deprive them of their tax money.
Actually you be wrong.
Boat sales tax near nothing for non resident owners.
There’s a reason trailer registration has huge bennies. I was registering and boat and trailer for a lot less than the trailer on its own would cost in MA then add in being able to buy “stuff” not available down here is a bonus.

And still have out-of-state plates and DL's ???

That's a criminal violation right there!
In the long run they would have saved money because auto insurance and vehicle tax rates are far lower in Maine than in NJ.

You DO realize it’s possible to live someplace without establishing residency, right? And that it’s something people do for work all the time?

The article says they’re there for a construction job, which means they likely plan to head back to their permanent residences once the job is done.

ETA: I lived and worked on North Haven (which is Vinalhaven’s norther neighbor) for several months about 10-12 years ago. I somehow managed to remain a Massachusetts resident through the whole trip.

^^^^^ This!

I live in Maine for about 5 months each year, own a property and pay a lot of taxes for that.
License plate still says Mass*ole as I am below 180 days a year required to establish residency. Boat that stays in Maine is registered in Maine of course.

Actually you be wrong.
Boat sales tax near nothing for non resident owners.
There’s a reason trailer registration has huge bennies. I was registering and boat and trailer for a lot less than the trailer on its own would cost in MA then add in being able to buy “stuff” not available down here is a bonus.

The situation we're discussing here had nothing to do with buying or registering a boat or trailer, and these guys were NOT property owners, they were renters, so they personally didn't pay property tax to Maine either.
Yes, I know it's cheaper to register and insure vehicles in Maine than in many other places, that's why so many people register trailers in Maine, even though other states have gotten wise to the practice and wrote their own laws to crack down it, to preserve their own revenue.
These guys would have actually saved money by complying with the 30 day rule because the rates are much cheaper than in NJ.

You DO realize it’s possible to live someplace without establishing residency, right? And that it’s something people do for work all the time?
The article says they’re there for a construction job, which means they likely plan to head back to their permanent residences once the job is done.

What about college students ???
They come for 2-4 years, almost all planning on going back home when they graduate, but they're not exempt from the 30 Day rule, which they widely ignore.
And most of them want to vote like a local too, even though they have no skin in the game.
OK, lot's of people ignore the laws, and get away with, I get it, but it doesn't make it right, and there are penalties to pay if they do get caught.
When I moved out-of-state to attend tech school for two years, even though I knew I'd be leaving when I was done, I did make the DL and registration switchover because it was the law.
So you guys go do what you want to do, I'll just keep walking the straight and narrow.

I have a little story if you'll allow me...

Took a drive up North with stir-crazy family members today.
Up into NH on Rt 16 through N. Conway, past the Presidentials then over to Rt 2 West through Jefferson and Lancaster. Snow-capped Mt Washington looked beautiful.
Continued West on 2 into Vermont then North on Rt. 114 into Brighton, VT (about 20 miles South of the Canadian border.)

On the way home, we stopped into a Walmart in Littleton, NH, off Rt 93. Walking through the Sporting Goods section I heard a guy ask the clerk for .380 ammo.
The clerk asked "Is that handgun ammo?" and the guy said yes. Clerk says "We stopped selling handgun ammo..." and walked away. The guy then turns to me and says
"I've been to 3 other places and they are all out." I said "Yeah, Walmart stopped selling it in the end of December." to which he replied "Well, that sucks."

He must have felt comfortable talking to me because the next thing out of his mouth was "I'm from Massachusetts." I told him I was too. Next thing he said was that he had spent the last 3 days camping in the woods because his friends told him he had to maintain "Social Distancing" and stay 6 feet away from people...
and then he says, "I told them 'fvck that' I'm staying 6 miles away from people!"

As I walked away, I thought to myself: Then why are you in a Walmart...?

The other thing I noticed in all that driving was the lack of out-of-state plates up there in NH. I think I counted half a dozen the whole way...

~Enbloc

What about college students ???
They come for 2-4 years, almost all planning on going back home when they graduate, but they're not exempt from the 30 Day rule, which they widely ignore.
And most of them want to vote like a local too, even though they have no skin in the game.
OK, lot's of people ignore the laws, and get away with, I get it, but it doesn't make it right, and there are penalties to pay if they do get caught.
When I moved out-of-state to attend tech school for two years, even though I knew I'd be leaving when I was done, I did make the DL and registration switchover because it was the law.
So you guys go do what you want to do, I'll just keep walking the straight and narrow.

5976816F-5F96-4998-B194-421BE1B3B47D.pngB5A50DBD-A418-40E4-BE81-58820870D093.png
College students, in Maine at least, are exempt. They continue to be residents of their “home” states.

The “straight and narrow” here is that if you’re temporarily working (as is seemingly the case here), or living on campus, you do NOT become a resident of that state.

If these guys had wanted to, they could easily have switched over to Maine DLs and plates...and then when they moved back to NJ later this spring (as they were likely always planning to do), switched them back? Because THAT makes sense
[rolleyes]

Literally the only thing these guys might run afoul of, is that they may be required to file their taxes as if they were ME residents (ME income tax on ALL income, no just what was earned in ME), but at the end of the day, renting a house in order to live someplace while you work a construction job does NOT constitute a change in residency.

Having taken a several day trip to NMW last year, I can vouch for Mainiacs being a different breed. Great state.
So its a great state because a band if armed locals went to a house occupied be people they don't like and cut a tree down and blocked their driveway so they couldn't leave? Come to my property toting guns and a chainsaw and I'm assuming you WANT a fire fight......and that's what your gonna get.

Now.....all that aside I agree Maine is full of down to earth good folk in central to northern areas of the state.....I'm just not understanding why "it's a great state" relates to the article.

While this Pandemic is a scary thing, I can't support Draconian lock-downs and travel restrictions. We used to talk about walling off Mexico and then California, but that was for different reasons. Walling off NY and NJ , even if only virtually, will only trickle down. First New England, then Massachusetts then Middlesex County then Lowell, then the Highlands section and finally walling off my house, my floor and ultimately myself.

Nope won't have it. We are Stronger than that. We'll take Our lumps, and move on.

Nolite Timere...

and they don’t dig masswh00ls either!

my side of the family Irish and french, wife’s side old yankee and French Canadian, so I can get a pass everywhere up that way. [laugh]

Guessing that if it'd been you with your MA plates instead of those guys with their NJ plates the reaction would be the same. No one from 'away' is getting a pass right now on the islands.

I am going to guess this story goes deeper than what we've been told, too. but it's probably still a retard conference
kind of deal.

-Mike

I'd bet both of those are completely true.

So its a great state because a band if armed locals went to a house occupied be people they don't like and cut a tree down and blocked their driveway so they couldn't leave? Come to my property toting guns and a chainsaw and I'm assuming you WANT a fire fight......and that's what your gonna get.

Now.....all that aside I agree Maine is full of down to earth good folk in central to northern areas of the state.....I'm just not understanding why "it's a great state" relates to the article.

Forget the guns, a chainsaw is clearly a deadly force threat if it looks like there's intent to do grievous bodily injury, which is more or less the only sort of injury that occurs when a chainsaw meets flesh. I've always thought it was a little backwards that you need to be licensed up to here ^^^ to buy a gun in MA but any moron can wander into the hardware store and walk out with a chainsaw. Google chainsaw + decapitation some time.

While this Pandemic is a scary thing, I can't support Draconian lock-downs and travel restrictions. We used to talk about walling off Mexico and then California, but that was for different reasons. Walling off NY and NJ , even if only virtually, will only trickle down. First New England, then Massachusetts then Middlesex County then Lowell, then the Highlands section and finally walling off my house, my floor and ultimately myself.

Agree, and people with MA plates are going to be on the wrong side of the fence when fences go up.

Back
Top Bottom