• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I love Maine!

MatinicusVehicleOrdinance.pdf

Yeah, not exactly a live free or die kind of place.

https://www.maine.gov/mdot/ferry/policies/docs/MatinicusVehicleOrdinance.pdf
That ordinance is so that 'Tinicus doesn't end up as a car graveyard (a place where resident's bring junky cars to use on-island until they die and then leave them out back somewhere).

If I end up staying in the a North East, I’ll own a place in Maine. Why?

Right here. This is a map of paved roads in Maine.
View attachment 342743

That completely white area, that’s where I’ll buy.
The completely white area...
That is paper co land and the allagash.
Good luck
Also, I love Maine, lived in Peru for years, but it is a welfare state and gets more property tax money from MA residents and their 2nd homes than from Mainers.

A friend of mine just told me where he lives on the cape , he being flooded with out of state plates ! He’s so pissed !

A friend of mine just told me where he lives on the cape , he being flooded with out of state plates ! He’s so pissed !

And Nantucket, and MV. There was an article about the same sort of thing, Parisians fleeing to their second homes on the French coast(s). It's universal. I'm not sure it's all that wise, though. Your risk of contacting COVID-19 is probably lower on Nantucket, but if you get it you're going to need a medevac to the mainland. And your flexibility with sources of food is much less. And... I'd rather be onshore than on Nantucket or Vinalhaven.

To be 100% candid, my sister and brother in law live out on Vinalhaven. She's a teacher. He had a heart issue a couple of months ago and that had to make an emergency run at night with the ferry ( blowing too hard for Lifeflight). He's doing better now (quadruple bypass) but they have no worries about living out there in regards to medical issues.

Add for food sources, the islands can be self-sustaining if need be. 100 years ago they did it and could do it again.

One of my customers just bailed off the Cape and back to Cape Ann this week for that same reason.
They are older and when they saw a sea of NY plates hit the place they said screw it and got a short term rental back up this way.
They figure it's going to blow up there real quick.

Believe Me I hate Massachusetts and I moved right out and into NH but I still tell N.H. & Maine people to F**K off regularly when they shit on someone for having MA plates in “Their” states since I see Maine & NH people driving into MA all the time to their jobs so they can prostitute themselves and get paid more than a farmhands wage. It’s definitely not a two way street for most of the toothless bearded Maine and N.H. folk, so it really rubs me the wrong way to hear this shit.

Your risk of contacting COVID-19 is probably lower on Nantucket, but if you get it you're going to need a medevac to the mainland.

I'd argue with the influx of people from NY and other states you're creating a virus melting pot and you're more likely to get it there as you no longer have isolation on your side.

Believe Me I hate Massachusetts and I moved right out and into NH but I still tell N.H. & Maine people to F**K off regularly when they shit on someone for having MA plates in “Their” states since I see Maine & NH people driving into MA all the time to their jobs so they can prostitute themselves and get paid more than a farmhands wage. It’s definitely not a two way street for most of the toothless bearded Maine and N.H. folk, so it really rubs me the wrong way to hear this shit.

Not to mention the part where A LOT of economic activity in both states is tourism-driven.

And yet people refer to Massachusetts as "Taxachusetts"...

NH is the only NE state with a lower tax burden than MA, the rest are all top ten. MA is 19th!

The cape is full of scared manlets who never left town and hate the "summer people" despite our economy entirely resting on tourism. All the construction, shopping, restaurants, etc are due to the tourists, and the rest of the infrastructure is just there for people who live here to work those jobs. "Summer people bad" NPCs all around. Meanwhile those same people bitching are lined up around the corner to go to home depot, no mask or gloves, and are having quarantine parties.

People are ultimately responsible for their own health, if you're doing things the right way you're not very likely to get it no matter how many people hole up in their beach houses.

Back
Top Bottom