• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I love Maine!

Funny story but people do funny things during pandemics
fear, especially of something they know nothing about, makes people do crazy and horrific things to remove the threat that causes that fear. not a psychologist so take that with a grain of salt, just an observation.

I suspect there was more to it than just the virus thing.
The further north you go ,the less likely your NJ/NY attitude is going to fly.

Anything is possible, as far as that "discussion" went. Pretty sure if there were six people involved and you interviewed each of them you'd get nine different stories. No one was using their head there. Mike has it right.

I hope not, but it's possible that this is a distant early warning of how it looks if things take a serious turn for the worse and polite society starts unwinding. Big cities, especially NY, could look like a real-life version of one of those apocalyptic 1990s movies set in NYC.

Most plausible weak link is probably food distribution and sale. Toilet paper and hand sanitizer are one sort of thing. Not being able to get food is a different sort of thing, and would probably start serious riots.

College students, in Maine at least, are exempt. They continue to be residents of their “home” states.

The “straight and narrow” here is that if you’re temporarily working (as is seemingly the case here), or living on campus, you do NOT become a resident of that state.

If these guys had wanted to, they could easily have switched over to Maine DLs and plates...and then when they moved back to NJ later this spring (as they were likely always planning to do), switched them back? Because THAT makes sense
[rolleyes]

Literally the only thing these guys might run afoul of, is that they may be required to file their taxes as if they were ME residents (ME income tax on ALL income, no just what was earned in ME), but at the end of the day, renting a house in order to live someplace while you work a construction job does NOT constitute a change in residency.
OK, didn't know Maine has this specific exemption, many states don't.
Old info but the way MA did it back in the 1960s thru the 1980s was that students could keep their home DL/reg, but had to register with MA RMV and provide proof of MA minimum insurance. They had to affix a sticker to their car that the RMV issued.

Changing auto reg and DL to school location and back to home state each year is very costly. New title every time, new plates, new DL application, etc. and new insurance. Not a reasonable thing to require of students.

I'll repeat what I said in the dupe thread:

Vinalhaven: that's all you had to say.

I lived there the first couple years of my life, then my dad got a job on the boat that ran out of North Haven, so we moved over there.

Islanders have a tendency to take the law into their own hands.

I lived there the first couple years of my life, then my dad got a job on the boat that ran out of North Haven, so we moved over there.

I spent a summer working on North Haven one year, saw A cop, ONCE. And they were only there because someone had been murdered.

You mean like the lobstermen? LOL

The've been living and working in Maine since September..............Bwah HA HA!
If they've been there since pre-Corona, I'd say there were other issues and media went with the Topic du Jour'...

The real question is gravy or vinegar on your fries...?

Or, may I suggest... poutine?

1585503513593.png

Sounds like the type of guys I wouldnt want as neighbors in a SHTF.

What will happen when they decide you dont belong in the group? Or when they accuse you of something you didnt do?

Sounds like the type of guys I wouldnt want as neighbors in a SHTF.

What will happen when they decide you dont belong in the group? Or when they accuse you of something you didnt do?
It's happened many times in the past out there. South Islanders (that's what we called vinalhaveners) are "clanish", for lack of a better word.

It's happened many times in the past out there. South Islanders (that's what we called vinalhaveners) are "clanish", for lack of a better word.

And the men who crew the lobster boats are almost a world, and law, and economy (hint: it's all cash) unto themselves.

The real question is gravy or vinegar on your fries...?

Or, may I suggest... poutine?

We've had this discussion before. Sad story: last year after a 3-gun match, I was starving for food. Didn't care what and I didn't want to cook. Ended up going to Longhorn's in Attleboro against my better judgement because I was hungry and wanted a lot of food. I asked for vinegar with my fries. I got damned balsamic vinegar. Steak was ok, but come on, who thinks balsamic vinegar goes on fries? Now, I specify "malt vinegar."

What do you put on your French Fries?

We've had this discussion before. Sad story: last year after a 3-gun match, I was starving for food. Didn't care what and I didn't want to cook. Ended up going to Longhorn's in Attleboro against my better judgement because I was hungry and wanted a lot of food. I asked for vinegar with my fries. I got damned balsamic vinegar. Steak was ok, but come on, who thinks balsamic vinegar goes on fries? Now, I specify "malt vinegar."

What do you put on your French Fries?

What kind of douche would give you the wrong vinegar ???

Welcome to Maine! Would you like some Oxy or crystal meth?

I always chuckle when I see this sign:

11984577-maine-oxy-logo.jpg

Maine now has the 3rd overall highest tax burden in the US.

Yup. It's gotten worse and will get worse. Thanks to Cumberland Cty. I wish it would annex back to MA. <G>

We're going to move under the 183 day residency requirement this year, but will be buying a camp next summer (if the world isn't on fire.) Permanent residency moving to FLA or TN. (TBD)

I have NO idea how were going to move to FLA right now though. Impossible to take a camper, with 3 cats, 1 dog and three humans through NYC. Hopefully, things in Late May/June will be cool enough to do so.

So its a great state because a band if armed locals went to a house occupied be people they don't like and cut a tree down and blocked their driveway so they couldn't leave? Come to my property toting guns and a chainsaw and I'm assuming you WANT a fire fight......and that's what your gonna get.

Now.....all that aside I agree Maine is full of down to earth good folk in central to northern areas of the state.....I'm just not understanding why "it's a great state" relates to the article.

Same here...not getting it. Plus the retards that cut the tree couldn't have been paying attention much since the guys were there since September.......... 6 months before this bullshit even started??? It makes locals look like Idiots is all it does.

Yup. It's gotten worse and will get worse. Thanks to Cumberland Cty. I wish it would annex back to MA. <G>

We're going to move under the 183 day residency requirement this year, but will be buying a camp next summer (if the world isn't on fire.) Permanent residency moving to FLA or TN. (TBD)

I have NO idea how were going to move to FLA right now though. Impossible to take a camper, with 3 cats, 1 dog and three humans through NYC. Hopefully, things in Late May/June will be cool enough to do so.

This is off topic, but why do you have to go thru NYC? Go 84/81/77/26/95

Back
Top Bottom