I learned some thing new

I called Hogdon Powder and asked them about loading 147gr moly coated 9mm bullets with Universal and this is what they said.

We can't tell you much about them because We can't test them. They ruin our barrels for testing any thing else because their so slippery.

If your going to load them, load them at Max..3.3grs and hope for the best. Their so slippery that they jump out of the barrel and are gone before the powder release's it's full potential.

I asked them about how hard a crimp I should put on it and the surprising answer was, use a firm crimp but don't over do it because it won't really make a difference.

I called Hogdon [sic] Powder and asked them about loading 147gr moly coated 9mm bullets with Universal and this is what they said.

We can't tell you much about them because We can't test them. They ruin our barrels for testing any thing else because their [sic] so slippery.

If your going to load them, load them at Max..3.3grs and hope for the best. Their [sic] so slippery that they jump out of the barrel and are gone before the powder release's [sic] it's [sic] full potential.

First, do you actually mean moly or POLY? I don't know of anyone putting molybdenum on pistol bullets; that's usually a BR rifle trick.

If you do mean poly, I think Hodgdon is full of it. I've been shooting poly-coated bullets in .40 and .45 for several years without any crisis from them being "slippery." They ARE slick, but I have no crimping issues that are related to the coating whatsoever. I still have to slam the bullet puller several times to break down a cartridge; hardly the situation one would expect if the coating caused crimping problems due to being "so slippery."

For what it's worth, I've used coated bullets from three different makers. I also use a Lee FCD to crimp them, without set-back or other such problems I would not first ascribe to worn-out brass.

I would copy the exact description for the bullets and post it but I think that would lead to where I got them and I don't want to endanger a source.

There are described as being swaged cast that have been moly coated to reduce leading. They are dark black and when I took them out of the box i was dropping them because they are slippery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom