I know you can't ship lower receivers to Ma

So what's the solution? Do i buy an grandfathered reciever in state or can i just take a flight to AZ of Fla or even somewhere closer.
I've heard that we can purchase recievers that are not quite finished and just need a hole or two drilled out. I'm assuming that they have no serial number because they are not yet a fire arm and that MA frowns on that as well. I could just have a bro in NC place the order and then he could ship it to me.
I do have an evil black gun of death and im not talking about my Mini 14 that runs like a clock with a crappy looking birch stock which when paired with pre ban 30 round magazines is much like an AR in so many ways but I would like to do a build just for chits and grins.
Of course everything will be above board. I could buy something off the bulletin board at the club but ideally there would be no paper trail of any kind. I would never bury an illegal firearm on my own property. If the law prohibits any of this I will follow the rules because i am a good sheep. Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of the week. Kumbaya my btothers and sister.

So what's the solution? Do i buy an grandfathered reciever in state or can i just take a flight to AZ of Fla or even somewhere closer.
I've heard that we can purchase recievers that are not quite finished and just need a hole or two drilled out. I'm assuming that they have no serial number because they are not yet a fire arm and that MA frowns on that as well. I could just have a bro in NC place the order and then he could ship it to me.
I do have an evil black gun of death and im not talking about my Mini 14 that runs like a clock with a crappy looking birch stock which when paired with pre ban 30 round magazines is much like an AR in so many ways but I would like to do a build just for chits and grins.
Of course everything will be above board. I could buy something off the bulletin board at the club but ideally there would be no paper trail of any kind. I would never bury an illegal firearm on my own property. If the law prohibits any of this I will follow the rules because i am a good sheep. Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of the week. Kumbaya my btothers and sister.

I don't live in Mass and I don't know your level of risk. With that said, order a lower and register it as a twenty-two. Build it any caliber you want, f*** Massachusetts.

What? No sure if serious.

I could just have a bro in NC place the order and then he could ship it to me.

That's illegal.
IANAL

Have another beer...

Buy a block of steel and cut away everything that doesn't look like a receiver.

Wish someone would transfer stripped MGI Hydra lowers.

MGI-Lower.jpg

Last edited:
That's illegal.
IANAL.

It sounds like he is talking about having someone order an 80% then ship it to him. Though he doesn't seem to know exactly what an 80% is. The mention of having something shipped to him is in the same paragraph that he describes an 80 in. It's also the only thing he mentions in that paragraph. I may be giving him too much credit though.

OP if I am correct then just order an 80% yourself. Legally speaking it is just a paperweight until you mill it out. No point in having someone ship it to you. Just a waste of $ on the extra shipping.

He can't, the FFL would lose his license for selling him something he can't legally posses in his home state.

You can't ship lowers to anywhere unless it goes to an FFL, its not just a MA thing. They're serialized parts unless you're talking unfinished 80%.
Not sure how the FFL needs to review state AG interpretations. Thought all long gun sales between contiguous states were allowed. Burden being on buyer for acceptability.

Not sure how the FFL needs to review state AG interpretations. Thought all long gun sales between contiguous states were allowed. Burden being on buyer for acceptability.

My understanding of Federal law is that you can buy a long gun in any state as long as you can purchase that same long gun in your state of residence. So, if the OP goes to New Hampshire for example, the question is whether the dealer in New Hampshire believes that the OP can legally purchase that firearm in their home state of Massachusetts. If the dealer in NH has any doubt, they won't do the sale.

"Contiguous" doesn't matter.

He can't, the FFL would lose his license for selling him something he can't legally posses in his home state.

Is it illegal to ignore an illegal edict? I’m not a lawyer.

ARs are being sold and the AG I’m sure knows about it but doesn’t dare prosecute when she has no legal ground to stand on.

The entire premise of this thread is wrong. You assert we all know you can't ship AR lowers to MA. This is a false assertion on both point. Not everyone knows this AND it is possible to ship lowers to MA. There are certainly retarded manufacturers and retailers that will not but they are the exception.

An AR lower is a firearm federally so needs to be shipped to an FFL. In MA an AR lower is the equivalent of a paperweight. It is an unregulated chunk of metal. If your local FFL won't either sell you one or accept one inbound for a transfer, find another FFL that will. Plenty will.

Some of the AG proclamations of 6/20/16 have some basis in law. The reinterpretation of the AWB is it relates to copies/duplicates while patently ridiculous has a non-zero chance of being upheld.

Her declaration that a receiver that could be built into an AW is itself an AW has zero basis in law since the receiver is totally unregulated by MA law. Many dealers have figured this out and stopped worrying about the selling of receivers. Some might make you sign something saying you will only build it into a 22LR.

A lower is considered the firearm.

You can only take possession of long gun out of state from an FFL. Federal Law, no exceptions as far as I know.
That out of state FFL will definitely check weather or not you are able to posses that long gun in your home state.
Likely, they will already know the answer when it comes to MA.

OP - the only fully recognized legal way for you to buy an AR in MA is to buy one from a private party who owned/"registered" it in MA prior to 7/20/16. eFA10 and you're gtg.

You do have an LTC-A, correct?

Theres no point in building one at the moment if you have not figured out a way to get your lower, you might not be able to find the parts either-
AR prices in this state can be found some what "normal" prices. If you really want to "win" the legal battle find a FFL that will take delivery of a pre 94 " preban " rifle and have all the bells and whistles. The pr 94 rifles are just 20+ year old plinkers to a lot of folks.
find out of state FFLs that know the laws helps also.

As for doing it any other way ?

A lower is considered the firearm.

Only to the feds. State law doesn’t think it’s a “firearm, shotgun, or rifle” because it can’t go “bang” and is therefore legally unregulated. From a practical standpoint a lower will almost certainly get you jacked up if you’re unlicensed because cops and DAs either don’t know or don’t care.

You can only take possession of long gun out of state from an FFL. Federal Law, no exceptions as far as I know.

That’s true.

That out of state FFL will definitely check weather or not you are able to posses that long gun in your home state.
Likely, they will already know the answer when it comes to MA.

Note that a stripped AR lower is NOT a long gun under federal law, it’s treated like a handgun, but called something like “any other weapon”
i.e.: you can’t legally get a stripped lower out of state, it has to go through an in-state FFL.

My understanding of Federal law is that you can buy a long gun in any state as long as you can purchase that same long gun in your state of residence. So, if the OP goes to New Hampshire for example, the question is whether the dealer in New Hampshire believes that the OP can legally purchase that firearm in their home state of Massachusetts. If the dealer in NH has any doubt, they won't do the sale.

"Contiguous" doesn't matter.
Correct contiguous does not matter. I've purchased many many hunting irons in Maine and live in mass. Cash and carry......efa10 within 7 days. Perfectly legal.

Back
Top Bottom