• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I know Mass sucks and all but.......

If the government issues a license it should be public knowledge. Of course there shouldn't be gun licenses. But arguing for secrecy is anti liberty.

Do you want your name and address published in the paper because you own guns? Serious question.

How does one get on an email list from FRB? I would like to receive communications from them.

Become a LEO.

They should all get this sent to them as a "gentle reminder" .

I'm lost . . . who do you want to "remind"?

Notice ELECTED officials are NOT protected by this law.

okay.......... I'll ask. Who asked for it in the first place...

No idea, but best guess is the major newspapers and I'm willing to bet that I'm right.

Mass is more protective of personal info than most states. Here is the pertinent parts of Ch. 66 S. 10 of MGLs:

Also MGL 4-7...

In construing statutes the following words shall have the meanings herein given, unless a contrary intention clearly appears:

>snip<

Twenty-sixth, "Public records'' shall mean all books, papers, maps, photographs, recorded tapes, financial statements, statistical tabulations, or other documentary materials or data, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made or received by any officer or employee of any agency, executive office, department, board, commission, bureau, division or authority of the commonwealth, or of any political subdivision thereof, or of any authority established by the general court to serve a public purpose, unless such materials or data fall within the following exemptions in that they are:

>snip<

(j) the names and addresses of any persons contained in, or referred to in, any applications for any licenses to carry or possess firearms issued pursuant to chapter one hundred and forty or any firearms identification cards issued pursuant to said chapter one hundred and forty and the names and addresses on sales or transfers of any firearms, rifles, shotguns, or machine guns or ammunition therefor, as defined in said chapter one hundred and forty and the names and addresses on said licenses or cards;

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleI/Chapter4/Section7

Do you want your name and address published in the paper because you own guns? Serious question.

I don't own any guns. Publishing gun owners names is not a stellar idea, but secret permits are not a stellar idea either. Wasn't one of the gun orgs trying to get a list of NYC carry permits to show discrimination?

I wonder if the big NRA sticker on my front door gives me away :)

...no, I really dont have that. But it makes me wonder what type of person would actually break into my house knowing I have firearms strategically placed throughout my house.

I tend to think of the published NY list as a list of houses to avoid if you were going to commit a crime.

I don't own any guns. Publishing gun owners names is not a stellar idea, but secret permits are not a stellar idea either. Wasn't one of the gun orgs trying to get a list of NYC carry permits to show discrimination?

Well as a gun owner, I DO care and I don't want that information released. Why? Because it's nobody's goddamn business, that's why. If somebody knows that I own guns, it's because I've told them so.

Well as a gun owner, I DO care and I don't want that information released. Why? Because it's nobody's goddamn business, that's why. If somebody knows that I own guns, it's because I've told them so.

Do you think there should be secret government licenses?

Government licensing of the lawful activity of free men is immoral and the path to servitude and slavery.

Why do you think the fact that I own guns should be a matter of public record? You're not going to fix the licensing issue by publicizing gun owners' names and addresses, and you will in fact create a public safety issue by doing so.

i dont own any guns yet but i agree i dont want my info out there because it the shit hits the fan i would become a target

I don't believe there should be any secret gov't licenses. Liberty gets funny with little well meaning exceptions.
Government licensing of the lawful activity of free men is immoral and the path to servitude and slavery.

Why do you think the fact that I own guns should be a matter of public record? You're not going to fix the licensing issue by publicizing gun owners' names and addresses, and you will in fact create a public safety issue by doing so.

The NYC List was published a few years ago. I saw a copy, with names/addresses of numerous NYPD officers who I know personally.

All it takes is a bleeding heart moonbat working at the FRB and a DVD. Just saying.......

Nothing will prevent a disgruntled employee from breaching security anywhere. . . or shooting up their workplace either (e.g. Maj. Hassan, Mongo in Wakefield, etc.).

I don't believe there should be any secret gov't licenses. Liberty gets funny with little well meaning exceptions.

Shouldn't be any licenses.

However a not so big stretch of your thinking might be to release personal medical info on anyone covered by any gov't provide insurance (e.g. Medicare, Medicaid, Champs, other Mil/Civilian gov't employee plans, etc.). Now do you think that is a good idea? After all, the gov't is paying the tab for the insurance or the care they get, right?

Let's say we have your way and all records of gun permit holders are made public record. How far should it go? Should it just be retrievable via a FOIA request like that NY newspaper did? Should there be a posting on the bulletin board of every town hall when licenses are issued or renewed? It's 2013, how about a twitter feed?

I think we're both on the same page about requiring a license being BS, yes? Can we also agree that, at least in MA, licensing for gun owners isn't going away anytime soon? Assuming you're still with me, answer me this: what legitimate purpose will be served by publicizing this information?

Sunshine is a beautiful thing. There should be no gun licenses and no secret gov't licenses. Just having one doesn't justify having the other.

Sunshine is a beautiful thing. There should be no gun licenses and no secret gov't licenses. Just having one doesn't justify having the other.

You're missing the point entirely and dodging my questions. If we're going to hope for something, I want a pony too.

Climb:

Yes, there should be no licenses....but that is not a reasonable hope in Massachusetts.

"Concealed means concealed" applies to more than just having a gat on your belt.

If a gun owner wishes to "advertise" s/he can get a "Protected by Smith & Wesson" sign for the house; put NRA and Zombie Response Team stickers on their car. Hell, it's not unlawful to have a non-large-capacity rifle in a rack in your pickup!

But, it should be the individual's choice.

The intent of this sort of thing is not "sunshine", but the glare of notoriety, and ( in the eyes of the Antis, Shame).

There's a reason that these records are "sealed" - just like medical records. One could argue that since AIDS is a bad thing, all persons' medical records should be open and accessible, to make sure that the new hire at your work is not festering with germs. Or ever saw a shrink. Or ever received antibiotics (might have been VD, after all).

But nobody thinks that that's a good idea....do they?

FFL information is public information. I get the occasional phone call asking me to facilitate a transfer (I can't....). A somewhat rare knock on the door looking for my "shop" or "store" (I don't have one). Then every so often a strange car that drives down my driveway and then turns around and leaves. I don't hold with publishing that info without permission. The only way I'll be able to get out from under that crap now is to move after my FFL expires in 2014 (I'll not be renewing it). Still, that info will be out there forever and it would not surprise me if the new owners of my home had that same creepy feeling I get when someone unknown and unexpected knocks on the door looking for ammo or guns. Its enough to make me give up the sport entirely.

Last edited:
Memo: Nice but would be better if dated and signed!

I hope this isn't a new trend . . . issuing policy statements w/o dates and signatures by those responsible for the policies.

Next we could get the new vehicles registered at the RMV published. Could even break it down to make and model to help out the car thieves.

I'm willing to bet that Cambridge or some other bastion of fascism will release their info.

Welcome back my friend!

Yes and I know of one town that released that info to an attorney in a case once a few years ago. Town Counsels usually know even less about MA gun laws that LEOs! When the mistake was realized, they asked for the list back but the attorney intentionally embarrassed the police chief by forcing them to admit to the judge what they did and having the judge order the list returned to the chief in court. Story was told to me by the attorney (a banned ex-member).

Back
Top Bottom