• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I KNOW MA S---S BUT! & Pre-Ban?

I know MA SUC-S but why are the out of state (Maine & NH) dealers not even interested in knowing the the gun laws? Is it because they just don't want to bother?

I mentioned in a prior post that Kittery Trading Post would not sell me an FNAR because it came with a 20 rd mag, was not interested in me not taking the mag and buying only the gun. I could understand if I was told they did not want to do that because they have a policy but to say it is the law? Alright that is old news!

Yesterday I was far up in NH, stopped at a gun shop with a friend. I saw a CETME made by Century with a number 7730, very low. This stock and forarm looked like it was built at least 30-40 years ago. Again I asked about the gun and was simply told "I can not sell this to you because it has a flash suppressor and flash suppressors are not allowed in MA under any circumstances." I tried to have the pre-ban conversation with the dealer but he said I was wrong. He was not interested in finding the age of the gun. He said it did not matter because of the flash suppressor.

Is it possible to have a gun shipped to another FFL dealer in this situation? Would an out of state dealer even be willing to do that or would the situation escalate? I know I'm right but I don't like to crank people too much.

This only makes me want to spend outrageous money on a pre-ban BIG SOMETHING!

Only one more:
If I have a pre-ban rifle is it legal to change the stock or make modifications?

Thanks for your patience,

Paul

MA laws are almost impossible to understand, and I suspect those dealers see selling to a MA resident as high risk with little reward.

The problem with the CETME is that it was more than likely built on a "newer" (post '94) receiver.
And yes, you can change and mod the preban.

Does the 007730 serial # tell the age? Is there a site that gives the age of guns by manufacturer and serial #?

Your best bet would be to call Century and see if they could tell you, good luck. Make sure that was the actual serial number on the receiver and not the old serial number on the parts kit that the rifle was cobbled together from.

Buy it and have him send it to a MA FFL... if they transfer it to you great...if not, sell it to the FFL in MA if they'll buy it...

You cannot argue with a dealer. If they don't want to sell it to you, there's not much you can do about it. Due to federal laws, it is in their best interest to make a mistake by being too conservative with their sales than it is to make a mistake by being too liberal.

All of the CETMEs are post-ban. The originals were F/A IIRC. CETMEs came into the marketplace maybe ten years ago as parts kits built on American receivers.

Wrong. Never heard of MARS?

Nope, but I have now. Import apparently banned quite a while ago?

Edit: I see that the one he refers to is made by Century, so definitely a postban anyway. If you see one of those MARS for that price though, LMK [grin]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom