• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I Knew it! It's all Bush's Fault

I swear to god, the Liberal f***s only goal is to some how link Bush to everything that goes wrong in the world.

I would like to say that this is un-f'n believable....
But these days the wonders of the verbal diarrhea that spew out of the mouths of these liberal f***-tards seems all too regular...

Adam

Don't you know they think EVERYTHING that happens is Bush's fault. [roll] [roll] Friggin idiots. Hated Der Speigel when we were overseas,still do. The Krauts need to go to friggin hell on a one way ticket.

This definitly is not Bush's fault but it is the gov't fault.

Last night on Oreilly Factor, Bill interviewed a retired general who was with the Army Corp of Engineers. The Gen detailed when and how the levis were made and that they were made to withstand a cat 3 hurricane.

Bill chimed in and asked, 'they built the levis for a cat 3 hurricane but they knew that cat 4 and cat 5 storms regularly came thu there! What was the plan, build it for a cat 3 and then tell the people if a cat 4 or 5 comes thru, then you all die?"

The General's jaw dropped, he said some something that sounded like a like a grunt and sat there for a full 15 seconds speechless before Bill said, thank you General and went on with another segment. The General was truely stumped like he had never thought of that.

It's the same with the superdome. It was built to survive a cat 3. Why?

Someone sure screwed up.

The Gen detailed when and how the levis were made and that they were made to withstand a cat 3 hurricane.

A few questions come to mind.

How many Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes have actually come through there?

Who's responsibility is it to protect one US city against all problems?

What responsibility does NO and LA have to protect NO?

Is the federal gubmint going to give me a 5KW generator, food, water, and firearms in case electric power goes out up here for an extended period of time?

pilgrim,

Do you have the absolute highest insurance coverages on your car? Or do you have a lower amount?

FPrice said:
pilgrim,

Do you have the absolute highest insurance coverages on your car? Or do you have a lower amount?

That's not a good analogy. You can replace a car, you cant replace a life. A good analogy would be air bags that only deploy when the car is going between 30 and 75 mph. Anything higher and they don't deploy, why because it's rare to go that speed. Will it happen? It could, we can deal with it then. [roll]

Did anybody stop to think: Hey- you build a major city by water, it's going to happen eventually... I mean who did they blame the Tsunami on?

Come on people, it's NATURE, we're just in her way.

Whose fault is it going to be when California disappears off the coast- build a city on a major fault line- it's going to happen SOME time.

Puh-leeze. [roll] [roll] [roll]

Derek,

That's not a good analogy.

Actually, it is. Much better than yours.

A levee that would be designed to protect against a Cat 5 hurricane would cost X amount of dollars more than one designed to protect against a Cat 3 hurricane. So you would be spending more for a risk that is less likely to occur. And that amount of money would be unavailable for others needs. The same way if you buy the maximum amount of insurance that moeny over and above a more reasonable amount would be unavailable for other bills. Or guns in our case.

A good analogy would be air bags that only deploy when the car is going between 30 and 75 mph. Anything higher and they don't deploy, why because it's rare to go that speed.

This is not logical thinking. First off levees, unlike your theoretical airbags, cannot be turned on or off. They are there no matter what category the hurricane, even if it is a Cat 5. It might hold or provide some measure of protection. And turning off the airbag does not save you any money that could be used for other needs. It just wastes the money you spent for that item.

A much more plausible scenario is putting airbags capable of protecting you in a 75mph crash in a car which, if you go 75 mph will shake itself apart and dump you in the middle of the highway. Even without the crash.

New Orleans was a place built by man in a zone ruled and owned by one of mother nature's most relentless and implacable forces. She finally called it back to her domain. We can spend ALL of our money to prove that we are the boss, but then where does that leave us?

Actually SR the whole time growing up on the west coast...we always hoped california would just slide off into the ocean. Still do. So it's the governments fault that people were stupid enough to build a city 20 feet below sea level,and on reclaimed swamp land,and then think Nothing will ever happen. Yeah right. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I think that the feds have been trying to get the levees upgraded for some time, but it's been stalled by bickering between the state and local government on the precise split of the costs. NO has also been expanding development into adjacent swamplands despite FEMA's efforts to get them to reconsider. I suspect that a lot of the bellopwing we hear from the mayor and other officials is intended to get everyone to focus on Washington rather than closer to home.

Ken

KMaurer said:
I think that the feds have been trying to get the levees upgraded for some time, but it's been stalled by bickering between the state and local government on the precise split of the costs. NO has also been expanding development into adjacent swamplands despite FEMA's efforts to get them to reconsider. I suspect that a lot of the bellopwing we hear from the mayor and other officials is intended to get everyone to focus on Washington rather than closer to home.

Ken

Yeah, like why they didn't have an evac plan. [roll]

Yeah, like why they didn't have an evac plan.

Because they could not or did not want to think about such a disaster.

I was a Logistics Plans Officer in the Air Force. I developed, reviewed, and helped execute plans on several different levels. I know and understand the planning process. However, I had an advantage because in the military you can tell people what to do and they have to do it. Also, I had the support of other commands in insuring that adequate logistical support (bullets, beans, and beds) would be there to take care of our people.

In the civilian world the civil authorities do not have the same power over citizens that the military command structure has over our troops.

1. How do you order a city to evacuate? By what authority can you force a person to leave their home and go somewhere else (where? that's another problem)? What do you do if the person refuses? What if 10,000 refuse?

2. Where are they going to go? How are they going to get there? How are they going to sustain themselves once they get someplace? These are factors which most civil authorities cannot control.

3. When will they be allowed to return? Return to what? What do they do in the meantime?

A massive and sustained civilian evacuation of the magnitude of a NO is a logistical nightmare the likes of which few people can comprehend and even fewer can organize and control. One way or another the human toll is both stqaggering and tragic beyond our ability to cope with. Unless people elect to give the government or some other group the absolute control to accomplish such a mission.

FPrice said:
Yeah, like why they didn't have an evac plan.

Because they could not or did not want to think about such a disaster.

Then don't blame the "government" for lack of action. I understand what you're saying Frosty. You can't bend people's arms to do something that they don't want to do, but the Mayor didn't do ANYthing. All he did was demand to know why help wasn't there last week, forget yesterday. Even he should have known that massive relief efforts take time to put together and get people mobilized. If people don't want to leave, you can't make them, but if you're the Mayor of a city that you KNOW only has a population of 50% with cars, then you'd better get some type of plan in place to get those that want to leave out. It's not like they never see a hurricane down there. He needs to point the finger at himself first, before anyone else, then the Gov. of the state for not getting the NG in there ASAP.

Yeah, a lot of things are certainly easier in the military. As for what civilian leaders might do to achieve better results, they might start by telling the truth. I know, that's absolute heresy in the political arena and often an almost certain ticket to an early retirement. Of course the people who worry the most about that sort of thing are career politicians, the absolutely worst excuses for leaders ever evolved in human history, since the best way to maintain your career is to lead from the rear, telling everybody to do whatever it is that they already want to do.

EOD personnel don't always seem to need a lot of command authority to get people to evacuate, just the jacket with the message saying "If you see me running, try to keep up." In this case, since they knew with almost certainty 48 hours ahead that it was going to be a real E-ticket ride, somebody might have gone on TV/radio and told people to secure things the best they could and to get the hell inland, that he and his family were doing exactly that, and that anybody who stayed behind should expect to be on their own for food, water, medical care and everything else for several weeks. Start running every city bus north carrying as many people as could fit at no charge. If nothing happens, you'd probably get laughed out of office. However you know there's a very good chance that you're right, so you do the right thing. Unfortunately, we have to plod along with politicians rather than leaders. (Sometines that gets to be a problem even in the military. [cry] )

Ken

As for what civilian leaders might do to achieve better results, they might start by telling the truth.

Ken cut it out! You are making me laugh so hard I can hardly type! Politicians tell the truth! What are we going to do next? Hold people accountable for their actions???
[/SARCASM]

Ken,

Right to the crux of the problem: too many politicians and not enough leaders.

I'd laugh. But it ain't funny. It's all too true.

Although I do think that Bush often shows signs of being a good leader. I just wish he'd get his head straight about certain issues.

Back
Top Bottom