I just shot a friends AR w/.22 converstion

FLHTC

NES Member
I just shot a friends AR with a .22 converstion, now I have to buy one, any thoughts about where I should go to buy it, or what I should look for?
I have a Bushmaster.

If you want to do serious target work, I would suggest a complete .22 upper. If plinking is all you are going to do, there are any number of kits available, just do an internet search for them. Also just wait around a bit, I'm sure there will be several folks along with detailed info about specific uppers/kits that they recommend or have experience with.

I prefer a dedicated upper to a conversion kit. Now may not, however, be the best time to buy a dedicated upper. The less expensive units like CZ and DPMS are no longer on the market, so you will be spending between five and six hundred dollars for an upper.

I was able to nearly make Rifleman in 1 day at an appleseed shoot with my stock 10.5" LMT 1:7 upper and a Spikes .22 conversion.

For skill drills or plinking a conversion kit is fine.

For serious target work, as others have said, an upper is best. I've just never been able to justify spending $600 on a dedicated upper.

I can get two 10/22s for that kind of money.

The Spikes conversion kit is a refinement of the CMMG or Ceiner design. Its chrome plated so its easier to clean and seems to do better as far as not getting gunked up. It also comes with a couple of springs so you can fine tune it for reliability.

One other thing. Ceiner's service is crap. Spikes is great. I can't speak to CMMG''s service.

I was able to get the spike with 5 BDM 28 round mags for $265 when they had a sale a few months ago.

If I want to get serious about practicing marksmanship with a .22 I break this out, I've got about $400 into it and it is a tack driver.
DSC_1345.jpg

DSC_1339.jpg

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom