• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I just received a letter from The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. FYI

Ish

FYI:

The other day I called the State Police to let them know about my plans of traveling from FL to MA with my gun. After our conversations and approval to do so, they told me that they will be sending me a letter with instructions of how to apply and get the Non-resident License to Carry Firearms in MA.

I just received the letter and looks like the laws changed. The letter says:

Beginning August 1st, 2009, all new and renewal non-resident temporary licenses to carry firearms (LTC) in Massachusetts will be issue through the Massachusetts Instant Record System (MIRCS). MIRCS is a computer based application used to manage, process and monitor firearms licensing statewide.

What this means for applicants:

1) Applicants will no longer be required to obtain fingerprints from their local police departments.
2) Applicants will no longer be required to obtain a passport size photograph.
3) An LTC will be issued on a wallet-sized, digital printed, plastic card.
4) To complete the application process, all applicants will be required to appear in person at the following:
Firearms Records Bureau
Criminal History System Board
200 Arlington Street, Chelsea, MA 02150

Any applicant who submits an application to the Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) after June1st, 2009, will be contacted by FRB staff to set up an appointment for final LTC processing in Chelsea, MA.

Appointments will be scheduled after August 1, 2009, and will be scheduled in the order that completed applications are received.

Sounds like a NH out of state license. I wonder why they don't care about out of staters carrying in the state like they do with their own taxpayers?

So where do you live?
Any applicant who submits an application to the Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) after June1st, 2009, will be contacted by FRB staff to set up an appointment for final LTC processing in Chelsea, MA

And does this mean that those requesting a non-res would have to come to MA for this appt?

Yes it looks like Non-resident will have to go to MA for the appointment, In my case all the way from Florida,

Ish.

It is amazing, so not only I will spend the $100 for 1year LTC license, now I will have to spend another $500 -$700 between the fligh, car rental, etc for the apointment. Nice!!!

Ish.

Ish, I'd send a copy of that letter to GOAL. That's a significant change in policy that they need to be aware of, if they are not already. I would expect that they would protest such a change.

does this mean that those requesting a non-res would have to come to MA for this appt?
The MIRCS system is designed to accept an electronic scan of a fingerprint, and input of a photograph via a PC connected camera. It appears that rather than alter the system to allow input of a print from a paper copy, or scan of a photograph, that they decided to just set up a MIRCS station like the one at most local PDs. Listing all of that stuff that is "no longer required" is really an attempt to polish a turd.

It would be very straightforward to set up a system to handle renewals after the first MIRCS based license via mail, and a bit more work to add in the ability to handle prints from paper the first time.

My guess is that it's not a conspiracy to make things hard for licensees, but a "path of least resistance" for the issuing agency. Hopefully GOAL can raise enough attention to this issue for them to find an alternate path of least resistance.

RI also makes non-resident licensees appear in person, but only once every four years, and at a cost of $40.00.

I just received the letter and looks like the laws changed. The letter says:
No law changed - this change is purely bureaucratic in nature.

Well having to apply in person when you're not living in a nearby state is absurd. [rolleyes]

I'm somewhat surprised that this was done without the legislature's approval. Seems a bit odd to me.

They need to make renewals a lot easier. As it stands now, as far as I know, you still have to go through the entire process all over again. And that is quite stupid.

And, of course, the $100 per year is ridiculous and absurd. But that's a given. Thank you, Mitt Romney. You skank. [rolleyes]

You honestly think the legislature would object?

This sounds a little like Nevada's program for non-resident CCW applicants. One must appear in person for training and a visit to the county police department to submit an application and be photographed.

Hmmm..I think it is a very clever ploy to reduce the number of Non-Res licenses under the guise of making it more convenient. In a theoretical sense, maybe it is...but expecting people to travel hundreds if not thousands of miles, will only make it harder for a lot of folks. But...when people complain, the argument will be: "no more fingerprints, or filling out apps through the mail, or getting photos, we have made it easier for you." Very clever, very clever...

Mark056

Figures. I just sent my MA NR LTC app in on June 5th. Son of a !!!!!

If anyone gets in there and does the process before me - please post up what was involved. I would rather be prepared. I dont like being grilled and not expecting it.

[sad]

A LOT of the licensing process is left up to administrative fiat in the form of CMRs and "rulings" by EOPS.

After I was told that NR applicants would have to "justify" the NEED for No Restrictions, it became clear to me that either Patrick or the Sec. of Public Safety had decided to make life as difficult as possible on NRs.

Requiring an applicant to show up in person isn't unique. IIRC WA requires this, I know that RI requires it, and I'm sure that a significant number of other states do as well. Utah is now requiring that instructors visit Utah to get re-certified . . . so that will kill off a lot of Utah NR applications.

I'm certain that there is an agenda here with these decisions . . . and it certainly isn't in favor of the legal gun owner!

I wonder if this will change the "level of discretion" required to get A/None nonresident licenses. EG, "dog and pony show letter" requirement going
away, or, getting worse.

If they require people to come back physically on renewals, there's an obvious anti gun agenda going on here to reduce the number of nonresident licenses. It's bad enough that the bleeping thing only lasts one year and costs $100 a year.

-Mike

They issue on a discretionary basis.

Does the wallhack still exist in RI where you can try to get a local chief to
get you a permit, or do they usually balk at that for non residents? (unless you
have "business" in the chief's town, etc. )

-Mike

After reading your comments, it is obvious that every one of you thinks as I do. This is just a “legal” way for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to tell to Non-residents: “Stay away from MA” if you have a firearm on you. What the Commonwealth of MA doesn’t know or don’t want to know is that just for this ridicule changes, many, may families are no going to spend their vacation and money in MA. At 1st maybe MA doesn’t care, but with today’s economy they should do things easier for everyone instead of having people no going to MA any more.

About the IRCS system, I would like to know how they can call it new, when in fact is an old system used for years and years in everywhere else for everything no just for LTC licenses. This system was created just for the opposite purpose than have to go to one state if you living in other state, that’s what we have everyday new technology. Now instead call it IRCS, they call it MIRCS (Massachusetts Instant Check System). Give me a break; I have been using the IRCS for years every time I have a new application on my desk for a job.

Oh well!! What goes around comes around. Looks like MA Government wants to be kind of independent. I would like to know where is the famous “Freedom” that we always talking about. I hope never happens, but if one day someone gets kill because they couldn’t defend his/her/their life’s during their visit to MA, because they were not allow (Unless you spend almost $1, 000 like in my case) to have their legal weapon on them. We’ll see them what happens. I bet lawyer will love to have a case like that as well as the news.

Ish.

I would like to know how they can call it new, when in fact is an old system used for years and years in everywhere else for everything no just for LTC licenses.
The MIRCS system is indeed a custom application written for handling licenses. The two parts of it that the public sees are the PC's in the police stations with a camera, finger print scanner, and custom application that is used to fill out a web based application for an LTC. This application is currently missing the features necessary to process a "not in person" license (no ability to import a scan of a photo or fingerprint - the only supported input at present is the el-cheapo camera on the PC and the single digit print scanner).

A second application runs at gun shops where it is used to generate the paper copy of the report to the state, enter the report of the purchase to the state, and verify the vailidity of the license using a PIN or finger print scan.

While MA is out to screw the gun owner, this smells more like someone deciding "We're going to use MIRCS to issue these licenses, and impose any requirements necessary to do so without any modification to the existing software".

Last edited:
While MA is out to screw the gun owner, this smells more like someone deciding "We're going to use MIRCS to issue these licenses, and impose any requirements necessary to do so without any modification to the existing software".

I agree, this is about PDs not wanting to deal with it. The PDs like the control, but in the end they want nothing to do with this crap. Pushing this to Chelsea allows them to not have to deal with it retain the control.

Back
Top Bottom