• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I just made the worst mistake ever!

So I went in my safe and took out what I thought was my carry gun, my Glock23 and put it in my IWB holster and went about doing my errands. When I got back home and I went to put it in my safe I realized it was my Glock 30S which was UNLOADED!!! I almost died I couldnt believe I didnt notice the pinky extension or feel the difference it was unloaded. Thank the Lord I didnt need it but imagine if I ever did? I either carry my M&P 9c or Glock 23 the only reason I dont carry my 30s is because I only shot it twice and want to put a few more rounds through it. Now I guess I will double check before I do something stupid like that again. Im new to the board and felt stupid even posting this but im hoping someone else will tell me they did the same thing lol

yea I took out my Carry mag (with HST) and loaded my other mags and went to the range, after I was done I had 0 ammo left and didn't feel good with an empty mag in my holster.

lol mine are normally loaded in the safe so thats never happened to me.

I have however come back to my car from a quick trip inside a store and my mag was on my driver's seat. While sitting down my body had pressed the mag release and well, yeah I only had one in the chamber. It was a 9mm, not a .45 so I obviously would have needed more than 1 shot to bring a bad guy down. Right? :)

Every time you get ready to holster your carry gun, check its condition. Drop the mag, check that it is loaded. Check that the chamber is full. Before you put your spare mags in their holders, check that they are full. Do this every single time.

So I went in my safe and took out what I thought was my carry gun, my Glock23 and put it in my IWB holster and went about doing my errands. When I got back home and I went to put it in my safe I realized it was my Glock 30S which was UNLOADED!!! I almost died I couldnt believe I didnt notice the pinky extension or feel the difference it was unloaded. Thank the Lord I didnt need it but imagine if I ever did? I either carry my M&P 9c or Glock 23 the only reason I dont carry my 30s is because I only shot it twice and want to put a few more rounds through it. Now I guess I will double check before I do something stupid like that again. Im new to the board and felt stupid even posting this but im hoping someone else will tell me they did the same thing lol

That's a bad mistake, but far from the worst... this is pretty close to what the "worst" would be...

(NSFW, language.... lmao)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI

Getting back to the topic at hand.... press check is good. A technique I use is any handgun in my safe that's loaded lives in its holster in the safe. Everything else -COULD- be loaded (and must be handled as such) but if it's in a holster, it's there because I loaded the gun before I put it into that holster. I usually press check just to make sure, if I haven't carried the gun in awhile. If I switch carry guns, a press check is always performed, even if can see/feel the LCI bump.

-Mike

Yes, you are stupid for posting this.

And no, I have never made the same mistake.

But if it's any consolation, I have made a lot of stupid post in my life as well.........[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Every time you get ready to holster your carry gun, check its condition. Drop the mag, check that it is loaded. Check that the chamber is full. Before you put your spare mags in their holders, check that they are full. Do this every single time.

This big time.

The 2nd worst mistake was posting it on YouTube. [rolleyes]

As much as the guy was a numbskull for shooting himself I actually give him props for owning up to his mistake and discussing it in the interest of trying to help others avoid hurting themselves.

-Mike

Usually I dont take my gun out of my holster in the safe but for some reason I did this time and I grabbed the wrong one taking it out of the rack

Eh nobody died so its not that big of a deal. Learn from it and move on. Thanks for posting so that others may learn from it as well!

This is why I love my LCI.......

....said nobody ever.

I do drop the mag and check it every time I take my carry gun out of the safe.

Press check should be SOP every time you holster up

Your momentary embarrassment might save someone else from making the same mistake down the line.
Thank you.

This. I always, ALWAYS press check my gun when I pick it up even when I just set it down. If its holstered and I grab it to run out I press check and drop the mag even if I know it was in the holster the entire time.

Know the condition of your gun at all times. If you don't know it, check it. ASSUMING it is in a condition is not KNOWING it is in a condition.

Last edited:

I have to agree with this. I check every time I take a gun out of the safe. When I put it back in, I check again.

start carrying something 40 oz plus, if you forget ammo again at least you could pistol whip with authority.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom